31.58%
Less Negative
68.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Negativity

Old Dec 25th 2003, 6:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
I think there may well be an element of that - especially in the things like wanting me to cook mega-family dinners Aussie style - almost wanting me to prove myself to her.
She does niggle at him as well though, so I think she's just plain difficult! Its all stupid stuff, like when asked if she'd like some grapes, she won't accept till shes asked how much they cost, and told us how much they cost back where she lives. I haven't been able to have a bath since she got here (just showers and I HATE them) because if anyone is in there longer than 10 minutes she gets sarky about how she'd like to use the bathroom occasionally!
Its getting like a British sitcom, it really is!!!!
Shut her up on the Christmas dinner front though, told her I'll cook everything the day before and we'll have a cold, British-style buffet! Suddenly she's not so keen!!!
My mum sent MIL flowers and all she could comment on was the price. I held my breath and just told her that I doubt she was going short. All my family are suddenly talking about coming out here for the next xmas so I might book a house on the coast for a few days. MIL is welcome but me thinks she will say no.

On the bathroom front maybe ask her if she is getting geriatric bladder probs. Nothing like a season of good will.
Old Dec 25th 2003, 6:46 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Prob with using OZ PR as a stepping stone to NZ is it runs out after 5 years. Basically to return to Oz or NZ after the five years you must have obtained a residents return visa or citizenship. To obtain either you must have spent 2 of the previous 5 years in Oz with 1 of those years in the previous 2. PRs have returned to the UK after the initial 5 year period and found themselves up the creek without a paddle.
BP,

If an Australian PR (APR) enters and remains in NZ as a de-facto NZPR, the APR need not worry about his/her de-facto NZPR status running out. Only when the APR/de-facto NZPR needs to leave NZ and re-enter NZ will he/she have to worry about the validity of his/her APR visa. If you do not plan to leave NZ after obtaining de-facto NZPR via your APR visa, then stick around for at least 3 years (IIRC) and get your NZ citizenship.

The original article that I wrote up explains how this is achieved (based on the prevailing Trans-Tasman agreement):
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...345#post630609

One risk I see is that if the APR leaves NZ before qualifying for a NZ RRV or NZ Citizenship, and the Trans-Tasman agreement changes to strip APRs of their de-facto NZPR status upon arrival, then the APR is effectively shut out of NZ. This is just one of the many scenarios that can result in quite a bit of hairpulling.

No one can tell how the Oz-NZ agreement will change, if ever, and if it does, which way it'll go. Just ensure you know the risks involved, so you'll go in with your eyes wide open.

Peter

P.S. Sorry for interrupting this thread a bit late in the game.
Old Dec 25th 2003, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Pollyana, sorry to hear the old bag was up to her old tricks again!! Next year you will have 'proved' yourself having been out there for a year and it should be easier. MILs seem to be the same the world over, they never want to give their little boys up. I am sure it will improve when you feel able to stand up to her more.

Have a great New Year and do things your way!!

Old Dec 25th 2003, 8:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have decided to tell the lot of them that if we have to produce Christmas dinner next year, it'll be bought at MacDonalds, and if they kick up trouble then the wedding reception will be there too!
She is off home tomorrow, so I may not actually have to strangle her during this visit........however she's already hinting that the Bloke looks tired and should be in bed!(and I think she means in bed alone!!!)

BondiPom, what on earth did she say to your comment about going short?!!! Wish I dared!!!
Old Dec 25th 2003, 10:10 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default MIL

I think there may well be an element of that - especially in the things like wanting me to cook mega-family dinners Aussie style - almost wanting me to prove myself to her.
She does niggle at him as well though, so I think she's just plain difficult! Its all stupid stuff, like when asked if she'd like some grapes, she won't accept till shes asked how much they cost, and told us how much they cost back where she lives. I haven't been able to have a bath since she got here (just showers and I HATE them) because if anyone is in there longer than 10 minutes she gets sarky about how she'd like to use the bathroom occasionally!
Its getting like a British sitcom, it really is!!!!
Shut her up on the Christmas dinner front though, told her I'll cook everything the day before and we'll have a cold, British-style buffet! Suddenly she's not so keen!!!
hi there sounds like a right nitemare i think you could do with a half bottle of baileys for courage and then some nice abrasive dry wit and sarcasm thats what i did yesterday kidneys hurting though
Old Dec 25th 2003, 10:13 pm

Have decided to tell the lot of them that if we have to produce Christmas dinner next year, it'll be bought at MacDonalds, and if they kick up trouble then the wedding reception will be there too!
She is off home tomorrow, so I may not actually have to strangle her during this visit........however she's already hinting that the Bloke looks tired and should be in bed!(and I think she means in bed alone!!!)

BondiPom, what on earth did she say to your comment about going short?!!! Wish I dared!!!
Nothing.
Old Dec 25th 2003, 10:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So thats the secret of silencing a MIL then! Must try it! Mine has now retired to bed, her parting shot being "I expect you are already stressed about the wedding. You won't sleep much between now and then" ....said wedding is at the very end of January! And I wasn't stressed about it until she said that!!!
Old Dec 26th 2003, 10:08 am

So thats the secret of silencing a MIL then! Must try it! Mine has now retired to bed, her parting shot being "I expect you are already stressed about the wedding. You won't sleep much between now and then" ....said wedding is at the very end of January! And I wasn't stressed about it until she said that!!!
I think your MIL needs to earn your respect. It is your wedding so you should be able to do what you want. We just kept the details from her. On the day she was so overwhelmed she forgot about cost and enjoyed herself. We did go cheap on some things like getting my Sister to make the cards and making the bonboniere which gave her the right impression. Your MIL is far worse but hopefully she will get caught up in the emotion of it all.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I think your MIL needs to earn your respect. It is your wedding so you should be able to do what you want. We just kept the details from her. On the day she was so overwhelmed she forgot about cost and enjoyed herself. We did go cheap on some things like getting my Sister to make the cards and making the bonboniere which gave her the right impression. Your MIL is far worse but hopefully she will get caught up in the emotion of it all.
What the hell is a bonboniere? A sweet/lolly stall at the reception??
Old Dec 26th 2003, 7:26 pm

Originally posted by CHnJ
What the hell is a bonboniere? A sweet/lolly stall at the reception??
Sweets given to guests at the reception.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Sweets given to guests at the reception.
You mean you didn't break even?
Old Dec 29th 2003, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

GD-just to let oyu know I have sent you a PM!

QUOTE]Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Ha ha...and been attacked for them on the whole....

Most of the posts back to me have been negative, but then they are only from Kiwi3 and Mutznutz.....maybe they are Wilf and PB in disguise...switching allegiance to Australasia???

Who knows...it's a mad world.

all the best for Crimbo and the New Year....

"Give me the dark and cold for Crimbo any day......" [/QUOTE]
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Being quite new to the forum I never understood the thing with PB-read a few of his negative comments but what was it with him-did he move out here and not like it or what!?

I think this forum is far more positive now than it was 6 months ago. PB doesn't appear to have resurfaced and lots of the other ' Aussie ' wingers have signed off for a while.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:29 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Well, we haven't been two happy Pollyanna's this Chrimbo, eh Pollyana?!

Yes, I made it back without throttling the old bitch - roll on Feb when I get to go up and say goodbye and good riddance ( and I just might given enough vodka!!)

Hope things are better for you now she is gone - comfort yourself with the fact that as she is older, she will shuffle off this mortal coil before you and then you can dance on her grave! It keeps me going at times of great stress - such as being told I am not fit to keep a dog because I objected to her feeding Bracken with sausage rolls every five minutes.

Got our own back though - said dog did a HUGE poo in MIL's bedroom - only had the new carpet fitted two weeks ago - I was laughing so much my sister in law (who is lovely) had to clean it up!!
Old Dec 29th 2003, 3:23 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
IMO this forum has become totally boring since the departure of PB & Wilf. OK, they got some peoples backs up, but the debates were interesting, lively & PB/Wilf did provide a lot of useful insights.

Plus it seems that 99% of the posts relate to oz these days and have no relevance to us kiwis. Maybe the forum should be renamed 'Poms in Oz' forum

Just my 0.02c worth

Russ
Good point. I believe that this forum has become a little bit stale of late.

I used to like the heated debates, which were not necessarily all directly about Oz, which lets face it can become boring after a while. Don't get me wrong, you are all very nice people on here, but I get the impression that most of you like the fact that everyone tends to "agree" with each other. It's a bit like an on-line version of the Stepford Wives.

What we need on here is someone who can be a catalyst for debate...which is what the likes of pb were. Although I don't think he believed half of what he said, the by-product of his comments were some thoroughly good debates where 'the gloves were off'. Here people gave their true opinions and feelings, not pandering to the forum thought police.

Anyway, we're up to 0.04c worth between us now BritboyNZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.