Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Negative Gearing for Oversea Property on Aus Domestic Income

Negative Gearing for Oversea Property on Aus Domestic Income

Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:29 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Negative Gearing for Oversea Property on Aus Domestic Income

Just wondering, is anyone else claiming negative gearing on their Australian income for foriegn Losses on rental investment properties overseas.

My accountant isnt experienced with International rules, so I will have to go elsewhere, some accountants want ridiculous fees which I'd like to avoid.

Would the following ruling suggest rental losses overseas can be offset against your domestic income, ie negative gearing.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=5&H5

be good to hear and recieve clarity for anyone else in this boat.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Lewis2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Negative Gearing for Oversea Property on Aus Domestic Income

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Just wondering, is anyone else claiming negative gearing on their Australian income for foriegn Losses on rental investment properties overseas.

My accountant isnt experienced with International rules, so I will have to go elsewhere, some accountants want ridiculous fees which I'd like to avoid.

Would the following ruling suggest rental losses overseas can be offset against your domestic income, ie negative gearing.

I was asking this a few days ago and I belive you can (not sure about depreciation) The best person to ask would be Alan Collett who is on this site.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:19 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you will get anyone on here to provide clarity or advice in this respect, as in doing so, they may inadvertently be breaking the law.

I've just visited that link and the content seems pretty clear to me. Why not give the ATO a call and ask for their advice.

cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
I don't think you will get anyone on here to provide clarity or advice in this respect, as in doing so, they may inadvertently be breaking the law.

I've just visited that link and the content seems pretty clear to me. Why not give the ATO a call and ask for their advice.
cheers
I used to be an Accountant, and if I wasn't sure about something I would contact the ATO, get the correct info, and pass it on to the client, billing them $10 for every 6 minutes for my time in doing it, including time waiting on the phone for the ATO person to check with someone else

Sometimes I consider going back into that line, instead of enjoying myself

What do accountants charge these days, I retired from that particular line of work in about 1992.

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I used to be an Accountant.

This explains a lot!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
This explains a lot!

Actually, it explains a lot more than you think....

My daughter was told at school yesterday that she should try a bit harder at Maths, as she was very good, even though she doesn't try.
The teacher actually said that Maths must be in her genes.

I decided to check the family tree fully...
Excluding myself, her grandmum worked for the UK tax Office.
Her Grandad, we haven't found out what he did yet.
Her Great Grand-dad was an Accountant
Her Great Great Grandad was an Accountant
Her Great Great Great Grandad was.... yes, you guessed it, an Accountant, and very well known in what is now the the Lloyds/HBOS group.

She has a bit to live up to, but has said she doesn't want to be.... an Accountant....

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:38 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Her Great Great Great Grandad was.... yes, you guessed it, an Accountant, and very well known in what is now the the Lloyds/HBOS group.

AAaaaaaaaarrrrgghhhhhhhhh!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:27 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we claimed a deduction for overseas rental losses in our 2008 Aussie Returns.

Feel able to contact me by email or PM if you would like a proposal as to costs for assisting with your UK and/or Australian Tax Returns. Click on my name to the left of this posting.

Best regards.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you seen this thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...reign+property
Old Apr 4th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it explains a lot more than you think....

My daughter was told at school yesterday that she should try a bit harder at Maths, as she was very good, even though she doesn't try.

She has a bit to live up to, but has said she doesn't want to be.... an Accountant....
I bet your family get togethers are exciting!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we do. We've always made a slight loss on our property in the UK (rent didn't cover the mortgage at first, then tenants trashed it...) so we've always claimed that back from the AU tax man. However, I suspect if you make money on your property you pay tax in both places.