Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need your honest opinions.

Need your honest opinions.

Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:06 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need your honest opinions.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Perth
Seconded !
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sme
Seconded !
Thank you! but why?

Sharon
x
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shabee
Hi,
No I think i have it the right way round, but thanks for your imput.

Sharon
I don't think you do, unless you all love working of course I seriously think you need to try and afford a reccie to see both areas. It's a hell of a move if you are just going by info from strangers or what you see on the internet. Unless you've already been of course.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't think you do, unless you all love working of course I seriously think you need to try and afford a reccie to see both areas. It's a hell of a move if you are just going by info from strangers or what you see on the internet. Unless you've already been of course.
Hi,
what I am saying is that we want to enjoy life and go to work, not have to work and do all the overtime possible just to live. Hope this makes more sense to you.
We would have loved to come over and visit but that would cost thousands, and would dip into the money that we have to move over with. Its a move we are all putting our heart and souls into, like many more have done before us without having even visited the country.
When we started the process we did think that we would get a reccie, but unfortunately circumstances did not allow it.

Thanks for your advice Moneypenny I do appreciate it.

Sharon
x
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:39 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by p l d k
I think at the moment work for tradies in QLD or WA is not really a problem and would not be a deciding factor.

Its a purely personal decision I know, but my opinion for what its worth is if you genuinely cant make your mind up between WA and QLD, go to QLD as there are a lot more places to try and its lot easier/cheaper to base yourself on the East coast and explore other states than on the West coast.
I agree. I am in Perth and although there is more work, the wages are lower, house prices too high and it's very quiet here
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Sharon
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
what I am saying is that we want to enjoy life and go to work, not have to work and do all the overtime possible just to live. Hope this makes more sense to you.
We would have loved to come over and visit but that would cost thousands, and would dip into the money that we have to move over with. Its a move we are all putting our heart and souls into, like many more have done before us without having even visited the country.
When we started the process we did think that we would get a reccie, but unfortunately circumstances did not allow it.

Thanks for your advice Moneypenny I do appreciate it.

Sharon
x
Hi,
I know the reccie would eat into your money but may be money well spent if you choose the wrong one and have to relocate that would cost more. We have done a reccie to perth and are now considering Brisbane instead as the house prices in perth have shot up and we have family in Perth too, but it is just so expensive there now. Everyone is different in there likes and dislikes I know a family that went to perth without visting it and hated it and before there shipment arrived in perth moved to Brisbane and love it there. I understand about the money situation and think you are very brave to do it without checking it out first. Good luck with were ever you decide on from Laine.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Perth
Ditto

Nothing wrong with QLD

We just prefer Perth
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:23 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of things you have to consider before you make the choice, affordability and the standard of living you will have being one of the major ones.

You need to assess your current situation, how much disposible income do you have, how much equity will you have from the sale of your home things like that. You should then find out how much you will be likely to earn here and look into the cost of housing, that realistically means finding an area which would suit your lifestyle and researching wheather it would be affordable in your situation, for this you'll also need to find out about mortgages and day to day living expenses too. You have to consider climate and lifestyle in both states too, there are big differences.

But even after all that you wont have a clue as to whether it's a place you will love or hate or even be able to tolerate, you can only figure that out when you are there.

I can't speak for QLD but as far as Perth goes it's perfect for us, there's plenty to do, the kids love it, the weather is ideal and it is home to us. But it's not for everyone.

I think it's really important to visit first,many people don't and most would tell you that Australia wasn't what they imagined to be, yes it will cost money but maybe not as much as you think and it could save you from making expensive mistakes when you move here.

Lynn
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sharon
I think everyone's got it wrong... You really meant to say "live to eat and not eat to live". Well, that's what I say all the time anyway.

You're welcome, for my input.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi buzzy bee,
tell me why then!

Sharon
x
Honestly? Why Melbourne? Hmmm where do I start.....

In short, because more people seem to be content with their new lives in Melbourne than elsewhere. This is just my observation, but it has been borne out by my personal experience too.

Buzzy
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I am impressed! This must be the 200th Perth vs QLD thread this year and the first to go 20 posts without any slagging Perth off / saying it is heaven on earth.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't think you do, unless you all love working of course .
I'm with you Penny, she got it the wrong way round. Doesn't matter though I think I know what she means - work to live.

Anyway to answer the OP - Queensland is the place to be. Perth is too remote and property/rentals are WAY overpriced.

QLD is warmer all year round and there is more to see and do when you are not working.

That's where I'd go if I could wind the clock back and will end up when I'm retired.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:30 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think QLD also if i had my time again probably would go there but have commintments here in Perth now,

If you do go to QLD then think its not for you there nothing stopping you trying Perth or another part we did this we started of in melbourne was there for 1 year before coming to Perth.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 6:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wonderful people,

We are 2 families planning on emigrating to Oz, but we are undecided on where to go. I know there has been many threads on here with the same problem, but I really feel I need to ask your help.

I keep looking at either Brisbane or Gold coast and my friends keep looking at Perth. We got together last night but still could not come up with a decision.

My hubby is a joiner and our friend is a painter and decorator, so we need to go where there is work for a start. Also property prices is important (including rental property) as we want to be able to live to work and not work to live. They both have a good wage here and we know that they will have to take a big drop, and that can be worrying.

I have been hooked on this site now for months and I know I can ask you guys for your opinions on where to go, and I know they will be honest.

We also have kids to consider.

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x
Melbourne would be my advice Sharon.

Lots of work
Best state for education in Oz
How many on BE return from Melbourne? compared with Perth and WA
From the tone of BritVics you would also fit in very quickly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.