Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need some positive vibes

Need some positive vibes

Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need some positive vibes

Hi guys.
For those who dont know me, we left blighty last May and headed for Sydney. Which we fell in love with immidiatly. BUT, i work in the mining industry and the down turn in metal price meant my job was going out of the window with metal prices and being on a 457 visa this was a scary thought, so looked around like crazy and got a good offer in Perth with a multinational, great job great prospects blah blah blah.
However, since being in Perth i have not exactly fallen in love with the place and not fitting in with the team i work with either - just different personalities and a lot younger than me.
So part of me just wants to head back to blighty, but even if it were financaly possible, (which it isnt), my wife has fallen in love with WA.
A perk up would be much appreciated
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:20 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need some positive vibes

As someone who is from Perth and works in the same industry you'll be comfortable but Perth is a little boring. If you want to work in Sydney or Melbourne you need to switch over to building services.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:58 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need some positive vibes

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi guys.
For those who dont know me, we left blighty last May and headed for Sydney. Which we fell in love with immidiatly. BUT, i work in the mining industry and the down turn in metal price meant my job was going out of the window with metal prices and being on a 457 visa this was a scary thought, so looked around like crazy and got a good offer in Perth with a multinational, great job great prospects blah blah blah.
However, since being in Perth i have not exactly fallen in love with the place and not fitting in with the team i work with either - just different personalities and a lot younger than me.
So part of me just wants to head back to blighty, but even if it were financaly possible, (which it isnt), my wife has fallen in love with WA.
A perk up would be much appreciated
How long have you been in your new job? You've packed a lot of changes into a short period of time; give it a while before you conclude that you know how you feel about Australia/Perth/WA/your job. I'd want to be in a place at least two years after a major upheaval like migration to let the natural ups-and-downs in my feelings fade away (that is of course a subjective opinion).

It may be that it's not Perth you're finding boring, but life. If you're not getting what you need in job satisfaction, find something else to interest you; an activity, a hobby or whatever.

There is one key difference between optimists and pessimists: pessimists expect the worst and see good events as transient and temporary. Optimists see things the other way around. The best way to handle a pessimistic outlook is to spot the negative thoughts that you have and argue against them. Don't allow yourself to make sweeping generalizations like "my job is boring" - turn that into "I'm finding this job boring at the moment - I need to do something about that".

Cheers
b

PS: the pessimist/optimist point isn't just my opinion, or some cheap self-help nostrum, but from Martin Seligman, a professional psychologist working in this area.