Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

need some info on 4x4's

need some info on 4x4's

Old Jul 17th 2006, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need some info on 4x4's

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Is the D40 the new model?
I took one for a test drive here in the UK and it was really good. I was originally going to get one of these in OZ but then I was swayed by the Patrol / Prado Etc.
I only really need a 2 seater (the wife is getting a car as well) so the Navara would be great.
Off road, how do they compare with the others?
Yes, the D40 is the new model (D22 is the older model, still on sale here though). It's great off road. The low down torque of the diesel is awesome. The rear can 'fishtail' a bit on loose gravel or in the wet but I think that's a problem with all vehicles in this class. It's only available as a twin cab in Australia at the moment, the model here is called an ST-X & is not as well specified as the UK model but it is cheaper. The only downside I can think of is that there are some quality issues in the cabin, a bit too much plastic is used but it's nothing major. The rear seating is a bit cramped for adults but the Navara has more space than all the other models in it's class apart from the new Triton. I love it & can recommend it if you are into these kind of vehicles.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

warbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: need some info on 4x4's

We've got a 3-yr old Prado and love it. The wife uses it during the week around town and we use it in the bush at the weekends, it never ceases to amaze me what it can do and where it'll go. It'll go pretty much most places. It's a bit smaller than the larger Cruiser and not as heavy, but seems just as tough.

You need to be wary of all the other odds and sods you'll need too if you want to go bush regularly. It's an expensive hobby, but we've had a great time so far and the kids love camping in the bush away from the crowds.

There's loads of web sites on 4WD, you can spend hours genning up.

Cheers
Lee