Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need some Guidance! Perth

Need some Guidance! Perth

Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:33 am
  #31  
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: UK now, Australia in 2014
Posts: 1,000
Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Perth is a fantastic place, will you forever wonder, what if? If you don't go, best of luck.
Pit Bull. is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:21 am
  #32  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 115
John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

We've recently moved to Perth, been here 3 months, and there are a multitude of things I'm finding irritating about the place. I won't list them all here but what I will say is if you are not 100% behind the decision to come here then think long and hard about it. I was thinking that the kids would be much better off here but I'm not so sure now.

The education in the public school they are in is miles behind the school they were in back in the UK. They do enjoy the parks and beach like any child would but they like my wife are really missing family and friends. I'm not having homesickness troubles but I am struggling with the major differences between the 2 countries that I see as negatives of Perth.

I'm finding Perth to be a very sleepy, large village type place with nice things to look at. I'm very used to having lots of things to see and do coming from a busy city in the UK. Rent, food, drinking/ eating out, Electricity are all very expensive.

I've only seen winter though so I'm hoping when it warms up there will be more people about and more things to do.

My wife would go back to the UK tomorrow but we've got to give it time to see what it's really like.

Cheers

John
John Mc is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:16 pm
  #33  
Hillarys, Perth
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Hillarys, Perth.
Posts: 1,094
h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Originally Posted by John Mc View Post
We've recently moved to Perth, been here 3 months, and there are a multitude of things I'm finding irritating about the place. I won't list them all here but what I will say is if you are not 100% behind the decision to come here then think long and hard about it. I was thinking that the kids would be much better off here but I'm not so sure now.

The education in the public school they are in is miles behind the school they were in back in the UK. They do enjoy the parks and beach like any child would but they like my wife are really missing family and friends. I'm not having homesickness troubles but I am struggling with the major differences between the 2 countries that I see as negatives of Perth.

I'm finding Perth to be a very sleepy, large village type place with nice things to look at. I'm very used to having lots of things to see and do coming from a busy city in the UK. Rent, food, drinking/ eating out, Electricity are all very expensive.

I've only seen winter though so I'm hoping when it warms up there will be more people about and more things to do.

My wife would go back to the UK tomorrow but we've got to give it time to see what it's really like.

Cheers

John
Hey John

Hang in there.....
No one will deny it's a massive thing you have done.... HUGE. It will test your marriage beyond breaking and further!

Summer is on the way and it does get a lot better. We have been here 7 years and hate the winters.... sooo cold in a Perth house with windows that wouldn't be fitted to a UK greenhouse. lol

I have seen it said on here time and time again, it takes at least two years to settle in, but in that time you will probably be renting, something I struggled with and wont feel settled until you get your own place.

There are still many things that upset me daily about living here, simple things like driving, (do they all think they are V8 drivers?) queuing, prices, lack of competition, not replying to emais and on and on and on....... etc

Get some friends, gets the kids into sport, get some bikes, get out door equipment (beach chairs, BBQ, etc etc)..... it will get better.
h2oskineil is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:58 am
  #34  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 115
John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Originally Posted by h2oskineil View Post
Hey John

Hang in there.....
No one will deny it's a massive thing you have done.... HUGE. It will test your marriage beyond breaking and further!

Summer is on the way and it does get a lot better. We have been here 7 years and hate the winters.... sooo cold in a Perth house with windows that wouldn't be fitted to a UK greenhouse. lol

I have seen it said on here time and time again, it takes at least two years to settle in, but in that time you will probably be renting, something I struggled with and wont feel settled until you get your own place.

There are still many things that upset me daily about living here, simple things like driving, (do they all think they are V8 drivers?) queuing, prices, lack of competition, not replying to emais and on and on and on....... etc

Get some friends, gets the kids into sport, get some bikes, get out door equipment (beach chairs, BBQ, etc etc)..... it will get better.
Hey Neil,

Thanks for the tips, we've got a circle of friends going and we are getting into more things. I have the kids swimming and looking to get them involved in a few sports but all the ones they want to play seem to end for the summer haha. We've got most of the things for the garden, going to buy a BBQ soon, so we're set for summer. We have a pool which will be a big plus I'm sure.

I've been for a few games of golf with people, the golf courses are fantastic. I've no doubt we'll settle in but it is going to take a long time.
John Mc is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:19 am
  #35  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,329
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Originally Posted by ShoreyM View Post
I believe that children have a better future here than they'd have in the Uk at the moment. More opportunities with jobs/apprenticeships etc.
I am sorry, but that is one of the silliest things i have heard all year. Nobody knows what the Oz or brit economy will be like in 5 years when children grow up. Even the experts are struggling to forecast next month.

By the time kids leave school Perth could be in a massive downturn and UK booming.

Even for those that are older, WA is about to see a huge downturn in mining. Its not unexpected but its going to have severe impacts and the prospects of leaving school and going into work are diminishing by the day
verystormy is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 10:43 am
  #36  
Forum Regular
 
ShoreyM's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 289
ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
I am sorry, but that is one of the silliest things i have heard all year. Nobody knows what the Oz or brit economy will be like in 5 years when children grow up. Even the experts are struggling to forecast next month.

By the time kids leave school Perth could be in a massive downturn and UK booming.

Even for those that are older, WA is about to see a huge downturn in mining. Its not unexpected but its going to have severe impacts and the prospects of leaving school and going into work are diminishing by the day
Then I'm silly ! But as I don't have a crystal ball and am living in the "now", that is my opinion based on my knowledge and experience. UK booming in 5 years, how exactly?
ShoreyM is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:29 am
  #37  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,329
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Originally Posted by ShoreyM View Post
Then I'm silly ! But as I don't have a crystal ball and am living in the "now", that is my opinion based on my knowledge and experience. UK booming in 5 years, how exactly?
I dont know. Thats the point and neither do you or anybody else. So to base your childrens future on a idea that none of us knows anything about it stupid.

There is every chance at the moment that the mining boom is coming to an end. The impact on WA is likely to be massive. Have a look at the USA a few years ago. Huge household debt, overheated house prices at a ratio of 4.5x average salary, poor lending practices by banks. Now look at WA. Household debt is bigger than the USA was and the one of the biggest in the world. Banks have lent very irresponsibly. I was recently offered a mortgage with NAB which had repayments exactly the same as my net income. Then cap that with the removal of the mining boom and the fall could be huge
verystormy is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:49 am
  #38  
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: UK now, Australia in 2014
Posts: 1,000
Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

People just get on with their lives whichever country they live in, I never think to myself, this might happen, or that might happen, so I won't do this and I won't do that. All I look at is how things are at present and I personally wouldn't go in to so much debt that I couldn't afford the repayments, I know people borrow like crazy, but that's their look out. If the economy goes into recession in Australia, it might, it might not, but it will effect a lot of people, like it did in the UK, you just have to hope it doesn't effect yourself, it's just life.
Pit Bull. is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:01 pm
  #39  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
bewoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Originally Posted by The Cairnsys View Post
My husband and I decided 4 and half years ago we were going to try and immigrate to Perth Australia. It took us 2.5 years to get visa and now it has took us 15 months to eventually sell our house. It's is now major decision time!
It may just be nerves however all we see is bad reports about living in Perth.
We will be leaving a comfortable life in Scotland but always said we were doing this for our 2 boys now aged 7 & 11. We will be living with family for first few months do not have jobs organised yet and any jobs for my husband who is an electrician seem to not pay as well as we first thought. We have been out to Perth twice and do love it but very aware how expensive it is.
Does anyone have any insight/ advise! We still have time to pull out of the house sale in the UK! Thank you
Having grown up in Perth, I can give you some of my advice and lived there for i guess close 20 years:

* quality of life is excellent - wide road, comfortable highways, plenty of cycle paths, nice weather with a cool oceanbreeze in the afternoon but the australian sun can be tough on your skin
* perth has sadly become much much more expensive, in fact it's one of the most expensive australian cities to live in. Apples can be $5-7 kg, which is likely 3x higher than in the UK for example. but once you are earning aussie $ and working it will be fine
* education is good and the healthcare system is superb
* it is a comfortable, safe place to bring up children, as I always say to people it's a good place to grow up and to retire and die, in between you may want to find somewhere else.
bewoh is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:23 pm
  #40  
The Cairnsy's
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Wemyss Bay, Scotland
Posts: 11
The Cairnsys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need some Guidance! Perth

Thank you all so much for you knowledge and incite. We have a lot of thinking to do. John I admire your honesty and hope you settle soon and things get easier.
The Cairnsys is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.