British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Need some advice please on for self-shipping (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/need-some-advice-please-self-shipping-380288/)

luchi Jun 19th 2006 4:31 pm

Need some advice please on for self-shipping

We are being brave and self-packing a 20ft container and sending it to Perth mid July :eek: ....help!!! :scared:

:confused: Does anyone have advice or contact recommendations on the following please:

1 what happens at the other end at Freemantle when the container arrives....do we need a customs agent etc

2 Any recommendations to a self-hire lorry company to move the container contents from Freemantle to North Perth

3 Any storage facilities in North Perth area

4 Any other advice which might be worth knowing about! :)

marco121068 Jun 19th 2006 4:35 pm

Re: Need some advice please on for self-shipping

Having just had all our belongings shipped out - I'd personally recommend getting someone else to do it. It's amazing how well & quickly things can get done.

Best of luck to you though.

debbiemc Jun 19th 2006 4:37 pm

if you do a search there are about 3 threads at the moment about shipping and packing with some excellent advice and tips.

good luck

markeh Jun 19th 2006 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by luchi
We are being brave and self-packing a 20ft container and sending it to Perth mid July :eek: ....help!!! :scared:

:confused: Does anyone have advice or contact recommendations on the following please:

1 what happens at the other end at Freemantle when the container arrives....do we need a customs agent etc

2 Any recommendations to a self-hire lorry company to move the container contents from Freemantle to North Perth

3 Any storage facilities in North Perth area

4 Any other advice which might be worth knowing about! :)

Hiya,
should be an interesting response.
I was reading the thread the other day on self shipping and realised that it could sake a few pounds (worth while having in my pocket) and also give us the chance to go through all the stuff we have as we pack it.

Have you taken alook at freightworld?

Bye
Mark

luchi Jun 19th 2006 7:15 pm

Thanks for all your advice. It has been so much better for us to self-pack too, as I have managed to get rid of much more stuff as we have gone through it. And with the two of us at home most days, it seemed silly not to do it ourselves...we'll have a look at freightworld...cheers...there was also a previous thread by a lady with the name along the lines of larissa, which I have been trying to find who self-shipped quite a while ago....anyone got any ideas of who this is?

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya,
should be an interesting response.
I was reading the thread the other day on self shipping and realised that it could sake a few pounds (worth while having in my pocket) and also give us the chance to go through all the stuff we have as we pack it.

Have you taken alook at freightworld?

Bye
Mark