Need some advice (finding companies) - Also spiders

Need some advice (finding companies) - Also spiders

Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

worldwanderer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice (finding companies) - Also spiders

Hi all

I hope you can give me some advice..

I'm looking to move to oz next march/april when my current job contract finishes. I work as a Mechanical Designer over here in the warm and dry UK. I've decided to either move to the Brisbane or Sydney areas, but would look at other places except perth (to remote). I'm currently in the process of the visa paperwork.

Hers the question.
How do I find a listing of engineering/design/technology companies in these areas?
I really don't want to be going through recruitment agencies.

Also another question. How often do you come across those big scary spiders? I think they are called huntsman spiders.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:26 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need some advice (finding companies) - Also spiders

I've only seen 2 huntsman in the 2.5 years we've been here. Once in an ice hockey rink of all places and once on the wall at home. They are totally harmless though and they eat all the other spiders.

They are creepy though, but I really don't even think about spiders in my day to day life. I hardly ever see them, although we do get the house sprayed once a year which seems to take care of everything.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by worldwanderer
Also another question. How often do you come across those big scary spiders? I think they are called huntsman spiders.
I've never even seen one, but I know people who have seen a few, and like them

Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Try looking at some of the large infrastructure companies until you find something better, I work for SMEC and theres also Maunsells, GHD, Cardino ect. These guys deal with roads, bridges, dams, electricity, Hydro ect ect and are always looking for more minions to add to there army.

And spiders, hehe depends where you live, this week alone in the house Ive had to deal with a redback, white tail and a swift spider, plus a few black house spiders and Ive had a white tail and 2 huntsman on the garage wall. But we're in a new house and havent treated it yet, plus its rained a fair bit and thats when we tend to get them coming in.

If I get a huntsman in the house it gets let out, whitetails and redbacks get the shoe.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worldwanderer
Hi all

I am terrified of spiders, even tiny ones. But you don’t see them that often at all. I haven’t actually seen one in a few years.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We've had 4 redbacks on the pergola and in the outside store in the last few weeks but again it has been damp. They get the shoe. We've since had the main areas sprayed so hopefully that will help.

Now onto the cockroaches!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:36 am
Banned

LivingDownUnder.net is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Ive lived here 5 years and seen 4 redbacks and a handful of huntsmen, I dont think they are an issue. But I didn check the bottom of my bed for the first few months I lived here.

A helpful website for you finding work and geting trade recongition would be Engineer Trades.

Intergration Queensland (iqInc.com.au) are also a useful not for profit organisation if you are thinking Queensland <snip>

The biggest bug problem I think there is, are the ants and mossies (which bites, but dont carry malaria). Really snakes and spiders I believe are not an issue if you are moving down under

Enjoy the journey and your research

Tessa

Last edited by moneypenny20; Oct 3rd 2009 at 1:33 am. Reason: advertising
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:34 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

The only people that worry about snakes and spiders are the ones that have never been to OZ, once people get there they realise its the flies and mossies that are the problem.