Need to set up bank account - Not CBOA

Need to set up bank account - Not CBOA

Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:06 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to set up bank account - Not CBOA

Hi all,

Had a call from Commonwealth bank of Australia today to ask where our ID was within our bank account application.

We'd included a bank statement, utility bill statement, authorised photocopies of our passports and visas.

For some reason the person who opened our envelope seems to have taken the application forms out and then discarded the rest. They said they looked through the bins but couldn't find our envelope so couldn't find our ID bits.

Not amused!!!

So I need to start again. Are there any OTHER banking establishments where I can open an account in the UK and where they'll do a similar thing to what CBOA were offering:

*Open a holding account in UK whilst you are still here.
*They open a proper account in Oz for you.
*You put your money in the UK account and it transfers to your Oz one.
*Once in Oz, you nip to a branch and show ID and they give you your debit cards etc and you can get at your money.

Any help? I searched through the forums but couldn't find anyone discussing any bank except CBOA.

Oh, and we're off to Perth so it needs to be a bank with decent presence in that area.

Many thanks !!

Matt
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:36 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

Default Re: Need to set up bank account - Not CBOA

Typical. You search and search the forums and find nothing. So you post a new thread. Then you search again and find a thread straight away

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=bank+account
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

All of them do really.

Personally I'd recommend National Australia Bank (NAB).

http://www.nab.com.au/Personal_Finance/0,,84838,00.html

Huge amount of branches nationwide and nothing but a good experience with them.

Whilst many people on here seem to recommend HSBC because of free banking I've personally found the need to go into a branch quite often, especially when I first migrated for various reasons and they simply do not have any outside the CBD's.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I would definitely say not Westpac. Lots of people here use them and do ok, but we have found them totally crap. If you can manage it without ever having to deal with a real person face to face you might do ok but they really should do something about training their staff.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:03 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I would definitely say not Westpac. Lots of people here use them and do ok, but we have found them totally crap. If you can manage it without ever having to deal with a real person face to face you might do ok but they really should do something about training their staff.
Wonderful. I went with Westpac
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DMH
I'm sure it will be fine. Maybe we were just unlucky
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DMH
Me too

The upside was I could do it all online - no need to send id docs, I just filled in online application on sunday, got account numbers on wednesday! Just have to pay something in within 30 days and go into branch within 6wks of arrival to activate the account.

If their crap once we get there, I can always change banks
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwife2be
Me too

The upside was I could do it all online - no need to send id docs, I just filled in online application on sunday, got account numbers on wednesday! Just have to pay something in within 30 days and go into branch within 6wks of arrival to activate the account.

If their crap once we get there, I can always change banks
We have found them great, couldn't be more friendly and helpful
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Thats good to know curly - thanx