Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need migrants vs about migrants in Perth

Need migrants vs about migrants in Perth

Old Jan 28th 2007, 12:37 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold
Default Need migrants vs about migrants in Perth

Thanks to the kind of job I do here, last couple of months I had the opportunity of visiting some leading companies here in Perth and discussing various management issues they are facing at this moment. The most common thing they all talked about is "the difficulty of finding people" at all levels.

Well.. that is one reason I thought Perth could be the place for me, due to the amount of opportunities it has. During the application process.. I was desperate to get the visa as soon as I can and jump in, so that I will not miss this boom for migrant workers here. I was spot on and within 4 days of landing, I got a real good job offer and was very happy..

Having lived and worked here for 2 months now.. my thinking pattern is now changing and I think it is mainly due to the unfavorable living conditions here in Perth.

Below are the key issues that is bothering me.

1. As a new PR holder, I am not entitle to any benefit except Medicare. First of all, even I am entitle, I know that I won't be getting it due to my income level and also I did not came here to live from government benefits. My point is, I am contributing for others to get that benefit while I am not having any right for it. They have very high tax rates here and I pay a big tax every month to the government. What am I getting or entitled for? Nothing.

2. Then comes the stamp duty when purchasing a house. I think it is a rip off. Why should I pay so much on stamp duty to the government when buying a property here has become one of the most expensive thing for anyone in this world. Instead of helping migrants to settle, I think government here is trying to earn money out of them in a very unfair manner.

As new migrants, it has already cost us many thousands and many of us think it as an investment for better living in a good developed country where we should feel like home and Ausi within a short period of time. Just think of my above two points... If you are me, will you feel like home?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need migrants vs about migrants in Perth

Originally Posted by bru
Thanks to the kind of job I do here, last couple of months I had the opportunity of visiting some leading companies here in Perth and discussing various management issues they are facing at this moment. The most common thing they all talked about is "the difficulty of finding people" at all levels.

Well.. that is one reason I thought Perth could be the place for me, due to the amount of opportunities it has. During the application process.. I was desperate to get the visa as soon as I can and jump in, so that I will not miss this boom for migrant workers here. I was spot on and within 4 days of landing, I got a real good job offer and was very happy..

Having lived and worked here for 2 months now.. my thinking pattern is now changing and I think it is mainly due to the unfavorable living conditions here in Perth.

Below are the key issues that is bothering me.

1. As a new PR holder, I am not entitle to any benefit except Medicare. First of all, even I am entitle, I know that I won't be getting it due to my income level and also I did not came here to live from government benefits. My point is, I am contributing for others to get that benefit while I am not having any right for it. They have very high tax rates here and I pay a big tax every month to the government. What am I getting or entitled for? Nothing.

2. Then comes the stamp duty when purchasing a house. I think it is a rip off. Why should I pay so much on stamp duty to the government when buying a property here has become one of the most expensive thing for anyone in this world. Instead of helping migrants to settle, I think government here is trying to earn money out of them in a very unfair manner.

As new migrants, it has already cost us many thousands and many of us think it as an investment for better living in a good developed country where we should feel like home and Ausi within a short period of time. Just think of my above two points... If you are me, will you feel like home?
1.You do get something - good roads, good recreational facilities, often subsidised leisure facilities, clean beaches, police service, refuse collection etc. (But youwould save a fortune if they got rid of the state government!)

2. It is arip off you are right. There is a belief taht this revenue is not even going back to the people but being held as a war chest in time for the next election. The rate is a disgrace - particularly with prices as they are in Perth.

I would add that you will always have these niggles. I've still got them (and more) now after 18 months here. But it is still a very nice place to live. (I'm not sure that i will still think that if we have to move to the outer, outer suburbs surrounded by hoons - but it is nice at the minute)
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:00 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

I would add that you will always have these niggles. I've still got them (and more) now after 18 months here. But it is still a very nice place to live. (I'm not sure that i will still think that if we have to move to the outer, outer suburbs surrounded by hoons - but it is nice at the minute)
I understand. I am too ok right now coz I am living in very expensive ardross and won my street is the river. I am renting here and most of my income now going for rent and to pay taxes to help others enjoying social security. I do not have any other choice here.
We are just trying to find a way out to settle here, but the system is preventing us to do so. If I have so much money to pay back to a government, then I would not have even think of migrating. Here we came to find better living in a nice country. Perth is really taxing us at this moment and that frustration is overtaking all the good it can offer to us.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bru
I understand. I am too ok right now coz I am living in very expensive ardross and won my street is the river. I am renting here and most of my income now going for rent and to pay taxes to help others enjoying social security. I do not have any other choice here.
We are just trying to find a way out to settle here, but the system is preventing us to do so. If I have so much money to pay back to a government, then I would not have even think of migrating. Here we came to find better living in a nice country. Perth is really taxing us at this moment and that frustration is overtaking all the good it can offer to us.
Don't understand your problem - how is the system preventing you from settling? You pay the same rate of tax as anyone else, you get the same benefits from paying tax as anyone else. Tax is not entirely used on providing cash to the disadvantaged - as NKSK has said, you get plenty of benefits from the tax that you pay. The cleanliness and facilities of Perth itself, for a start.

And the tax rate is not a secret. Why did you come if it was so high?

If you don't have enough disposable cash at the end of the week, why not move somewhere cheaper?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Don't understand your problem - how is the system preventing you from settling? You pay the same rate of tax as anyone else, you get the same benefits from paying tax as anyone else. Tax is not entirely used on providing cash to the disadvantaged - as NKSK has said, you get plenty of benefits from the tax that you pay. The cleanliness and facilities of Perth itself, for a start.

If you don't have enough disposable cash at the end of the week, why not move somewhere cheaper?
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Surely you knew about all this before you arrived?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bru
pay taxes to help others enjoying social security..
I'm afraid that's the way of the world.

If you live in any rich country you will pay taxes to help others enjoy social security.

Depending on your philosophy this is:

a) what a supposedly egalitarian society is all about or
b) a result of soft government allowing the myriad scroungers to get away with it.

If I were you I'd focus your attention on my current issue....

Is the reason why Australia constantly appears in least corrupt nation lists because the measurement is of federal government and not state?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 12:58 pm
bru
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC

Sorry..you are wrong. I do not get same benefits by paying taxes as you do. If you are not aware, please note that new migrants are not entitle to social security benefits during the first two years. Which means, after working for 20 months, if I loose my job I'll be in trouble and if the same happen to you.. you will be laughing thanks to some part of my contribution to state taxes.. Since you are not aware of facts or you seems to be a guy who think.. if migrants do not want to spend money then pack the bags and go home.. no point of explaining more.. thanks
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:03 pm
bru
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Surely you knew about all this before you arrived?
No I didn't. I was aware about the 2 year social benefit cut. So it is ok even though the logic does not make any sense. I did not consider the 2 year cut as any issue coz I never had/ave any plan to live from social benefits.
Stamp duty in Perth.. I never expected. I have heard about it but never thought it is such an insane system to this extent. really.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

we got most of our stamp duty back with the first time buyers grant. I think the 2 years before you can claim benefits is a good idea, it puts people off just arriving and going straight onto welfare. After all if you dont put in you should not be able to take it out. Although if you are unable to work through an accident i think you can get some assistance. I aggree with the other posters that your tax paid does go to keeping areas tidy, beaches, parks,mowing council land, roads, refuse collection, the tip, fire brigade and much more. If you moved to AUS for a high sallery then you would be dissapointed the money is not great , but the life style, freedom and social structure is why most people move here.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bru
Sorry..you are wrong. I do not get same benefits by paying taxes as you do. If you are not aware, please note that new migrants are not entitle to social security benefits during the first two years. Which means, after working for 20 months, if I loose my job I'll be in trouble and if the same happen to you.. you will be laughing thanks to some part of my contribution to state taxes.. Since you are not aware of facts or you seems to be a guy who think.. if migrants do not want to spend money then pack the bags and go home.. no point of explaining more.. thanks
As a migrant, I think you will find that NickyC was well aware of the social security rules before arrival, like the rest of us were. Also NickyC and the rest of us have been paying our taxes, having already understood that we get benefits from them that do not include social security. We all get the same benefits in our first two years as PR - why should you be different?

The rules are made very clear in the paperwork before we all apply. We may not agree with some of them, but by continuing with the application we make it clear that we accept them.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

I have to say that not been able to claim benefits for the first two years was one of the things we liked about the Australian immigration rules. I feel that everybody has to make a cotribution before they can expect anything in return. If the UK took this stance then it may not be in the mess it's in. Everybody that is accepted into Australia is there because they have something to offer the country, not because of what the country can offer you. I think it is fair that we, as immigrants, contribute to the economy before we expect anything in return. This is just my opinion and not intended to offend.

Nicky
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leechy100
I have to say that not been able to claim benefits for the first two years was one of the things we liked about the Australian immigration rules. I feel that everybody has to make a cotribution before they can expect anything in return. If the UK took this stance then it may not be in the mess it's in. Everybody that is accepted into Australia is there because they have something to offer the country, not because of what the country can offer you. I think it is fair that we, as immigrants, contribute to the economy before we expect anything in return. This is just my opinion and not intended to offend.

Nicky
We too liked the fact that as new immigrants we were not entitled to social security for 2 years. It's an excellent way to say to people "yes, come to Australia and learn to stand on your own two feet". We come from Canada and it used to infuriate me to see the newly arrived head straight from the airport to the local Provincial Gov't offices to sign up for all the freebies they could get.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Nicky

Quite agree!!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:34 am
bru
Forum Regular

Nicky
OK.. let's say I agree to above opinion based on the logic you have put forward. Then what about the Stamp Duty? What benefits govt here will provide me and others from the stamp duty if I am to buy a house?
I think the misunderstanding here is, migrants like myself are trying to live from govt money by moving here coz some have done it here and in other countries. Why Australia is having such a good migration system compared to UK, US etc is the process of skilled recognition system. Of course one or two will cheat the system, but that can not put forward to penalize everyone.
I can live my income here. My point is, I do not see much rewards or benefits for anyone to migrate here to Perth from the few months experience that I have gone thru. I did not come here for better salary. It is for a better lifestyle. I do not see that anyone is having a better lifestyle here unless you have at least 750,000-1 million $ throw away CASH.

If this is the direction you guys are thinking, then what makes it better by taxing such low level income earners at a stage that they are trying to stand up. If your point is to stop people trying to live form benefits and not trying to work, then is this the only way to do it?? Why not make it 50% lower tax for new migrants during the first two years and offer benefits such as expenses related to migration tax deductible, first two years rent tax deductible etc so that it can help migrants to contribute to the economy in the long run.

Anyway, I am a new migrants here and above are my opinions based on what I have experienced so far. I do not feel so good here despite finding a good job. I am trying to make my life good here, but still can not think of a way to start. Everyday we feel like we are going backwards than forward in life.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bru
OK.. let's say I agree to above opinion based on the logic you have put forward. Then what about the Stamp Duty? What benefits govt here will provide me and others from the stamp duty if I am to buy a house?
I think the misunderstanding here is, migrants like myself are trying to live from govt money by moving here coz some have done it here and in other countries. Why Australia is having such a good migration system compared to UK, US etc is the process of skilled recognition system. Of course one or two will cheat the system, but that can not put forward to penalize everyone.
I can live my income here. My point is, I do not see much rewards or benefits for anyone to migrate here to Perth from the few months experience that I have gone thru. I did not come here for better salary. It is for a better lifestyle. I do not see that anyone is having a better lifestyle here unless you have at least 750,000-1 million $ throw away CASH.

If this is the direction you guys are thinking, then what makes it better by taxing such low level income earners at a stage that they are trying to stand up. If your point is to stop people trying to live form benefits and not trying to work, then is this the only way to do it?? Why not make it 50% lower tax for new migrants during the first two years and offer benefits such as expenses related to migration tax deductible, first two years rent tax deductible etc so that it can help migrants to contribute to the economy in the long run.

Anyway, I am a new migrants here and above are my opinions based on what I have experienced so far. I do not feel so good here despite finding a good job. I am trying to make my life good here, but still can not think of a way to start. Everyday we feel like we are going backwards than forward in life.
To be honest, if you are from SE Asia or have lived there (just looking at your (previous(?)) location) then I reckon that it's a close run thing between there and here. We'll probably go back to SE Asia eventually - cheaper cost of living than here, a maid, a gardener, very low taxes, cheap holidays, great cheap food!

(Of course you'd have to trade off the clean environment here in Perth compared with say KL, Bangkok).

But I can certainly see why people who were on decent incomes in SE Asia would be disappointed with Perth in many respects.

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Jan 29th 2007 at 12:35 pm. Reason: TYPO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.