Reload this Page >

Need info on IT job outlook in Australia

Need info on IT job outlook in Australia

Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Maximus2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need info on IT job outlook in Australia

Hi Guys

I would like to move to Australia, but am a bit worried. I do have a very good job in my country, that I like, but would like to move to get away from all the crime and violence we are experiencing. I'm just wondering on how the job outlook really is for IT professionals immigrating to Australia.

I always read on how thousands of IT people move to Australia every single here, doesn't that push down the salaries and work outlook for IT people in Australia? You've got all these people from India and the middle east, having Masters degrees in IT coming in their hundred's to Australia, and even they are having trouble getting a good paying IT job in Australia.

Anyway, would of just like to hear on what the feedback is from people who made the move, and what they are experiencing with regards to finding a job etc.

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:48 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need info on IT job outlook in Australia

Originally Posted by Maximus2
Hi Guys

I would like to move to Australia, but am a bit worried. I do have a very good job in my country, that I like, but would like to move to get away from all the crime and violence we are experiencing. I'm just wondering on how the job outlook really is for IT professionals immigrating to Australia.

I always read on how thousands of IT people move to Australia every single here, doesn't that push down the salaries and work outlook for IT people in Australia? You've got all these people from India and the middle east, having Masters degrees in IT coming in their hundred's to Australia, and even they are having trouble getting a good paying IT job in Australia.

Anyway, would of just like to hear on what the feedback is from people who made the move, and what they are experiencing with regards to finding a job etc.

Thanks
If you are suitably qualified and experienced, along with great soft skills, you have nothing to worry about. Plenty of well paid work here for IT professionals that fit that description.

The problem tends to be that quite a lot of people tend to be subjective rather than objective here.
i.e. They consider themselves to be suitably qualified and experienced, along with great soft skills, when in reality they are nowhere near that mark.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Maximus2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paddy

Thanks for the reply. That puts my mind at ease a little bit. :-) I'll start the application and see how things go.

Keep well
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:52 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

....but would like to move to get away from all the crime and violence we are experiencing.
The UK ?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Need info on IT job outlook in Australia

Hi Guys

I would like to to get away from all the crime and violence we are experiencing.
People who move here to get away from their own country, rather than for the attractions of Australia, do not seem to have such successful emigration experiences.

There is crime and violence here too, it's not a magic paradise, it's another westernised country.

I love it here, but then I loved my life in the UK at the time too.

BB
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks
What kind of 'IT Professional' ?
Old Aug 18th 2011, 6:34 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of all those coming for IT few are the real deal with experience, legitimate qualifications, good communication skills and believable resumes.

I have seen a recent drop off in demand for my skillset along with the drop in advertised positions across the board.

Starting out normally means contracting and getting local experience and contacts. The hidden market will then open up.

It is not dead out there but hardly a boom.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Cyprus Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IvanM
Out of all those coming for IT few are the real deal with experience, legitimate qualifications, good communication skills and believable resumes.

I have seen a recent drop off in demand for my skillset along with the drop in advertised positions across the board.

Starting out normally means contracting and getting local experience and contacts. The hidden market will then open up.

It is not dead out there but hardly a boom.
Do you have any idea if there are Network Security Jobs, for someone qualified and experienced but requiring sponsoring?
Old Aug 18th 2011, 8:49 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Not my area. No sponsorships in my area of expertise.

Originally Posted by Cyprus Girl
Do you have any idea if there are Network Security Jobs, for someone qualified and experienced but requiring sponsoring?