Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need help from Concreters

Need help from Concreters

Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Onthemovesoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help from Concreters

I am in the process of buying a property and looking to do an extension to it as soon as we move in.
Can anyone out there help me with the setup of the concrete slab that i would need to do for something like this. Is it a strip foundation round the perimiter size of the extension with backfill to foundation hight and then just a slab over the whole area leaving 100mm outwith the slab on the foundation? What about the steel do i need it in the strip (if required) and what mesh size will i have to put in the slab itself, what thickness and strength does the slab and foundation (if required) have to be.

just one other thing, do i need to tie the new slab or strip found to the existing foundations for the house
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:05 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help from Concreters

Originally Posted by Onthemovesoon
I am in the process of buying a property and looking to do an extension to it as soon as we move in.
Can anyone out there help me with the setup of the concrete slab that i would need to do for something like this. Is it a strip foundation round the perimiter size of the extension with backfill to foundation hight and then just a slab over the whole area leaving 100mm outwith the slab on the foundation? What about the steel do i need it in the strip (if required) and what mesh size will i have to put in the slab itself, what thickness and strength does the slab and foundation (if required) have to be.

just one other thing, do i need to tie the new slab or strip found to the existing foundations for the house
from what i have seen the slabs here in WA are rafts on a compressed bed of sand,round the externals is a trench of around 5oo containing steel.
i bought a book here that gives great detail regarding all aspects of owner build.
when you put your drawings into the shire,there going to want engineers drawing so ,that will give you all you need to know.

i targeted a house here where i live,and have been watching every aspect of the build,i asked the builder if it was ok to keep popping on..

good luck to you..

ast
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:16 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 ways to do your footings. first (and easiest if youre doing it yourself) is to get trench cages made up. 4 x 12mm reo, top and bottom, held togther with ligs (stirrups), of about 600mm centres.
Cheapest cages would be if you ask for trench mesh cages. 4 bar 12mm is good.

Your slab would need at least 82 mesh, which is 8mm placed at 200mm centres.

Tying into exisiting slab, just get some 16mm dowels

Hope this helps, if you want specifics, ask more.

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Jan 27th 2008 at 1:09 am.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:29 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

firstly get plans drawn up and engineered. the engineer will tell you what foundations are required then you will require a builder. not something you can undertake yourself.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:49 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
There are 2 ways to do your footings. first (and easiest if youre doing it yourself) is to get trench cages made up. 4 x 12mm reo, top and bottom, held togther with ligs (stirrups), of about 600mm centres.
Cheapest cages would be if you ask for trench mesh cages. 4 bar 12mm is good.

Your slab would need at least 82 mesh, which is 8mm placed at 200mm centres.

Tying into exciting slab, just get some 16mm dowels

Hope this helps, if you want specifics, ask more.
luke do you know the spec for building off rock?

ast
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:58 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
luke do you know the spec for building off rock?

ast
Sorry ast, Im just the production supervisor for a steel reinforcing company and can only tell you from experience about what we make for concretors / construction companies.

You want to build on top of a rock as opposed to earth ?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:16 am
Banned

Sorry ast, Im just the production supervisor for a steel reinforcing company and can only tell you from experience about what we make for concretors / construction companies.

yes mate,the whole of my plot is rock..
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by aston man
yes mate,the whole of my plot is rock..
I would say youd just put a slab on top of it as long as youve got it level.

I will ask our engineer in work on tuesday, post a pic if you can
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:37 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the existing house built on.check out these forums
http://www.byohouse.com.au/forum4/woodwork forum is the best search in home reno sectionhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16763
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:53 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Your still gonna need soil tests AST.

Even if it is rock. We were or are on rock, and they need to prove that the rock isnt, friable, porous or just fill.

However, I think all the same rules apply, for the slab, just that you shouldnt need any piering !!

Just a fella with sharp teeth and a cheeky grin, as he extracts money from ya !
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

that you shouldnt need any piering !!

!
Im tired of having to make pile cages, we just cant make money on the bastards
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:06 am
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Ther are several types of stone over here. If you get the solid one , you are in great condition. If you get soft stone you will have to incorporate polistyrene to allow fo movement.
We can give all the ideas you might like like, but the engineer and the council have the final say, let them just tell you what yopu need and run with. You don't get a choice. If it falls down, its there problem.. Eamon.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Onthemovesoon is an unknown quantity at this point

i have taken a pic of the front of the house with the double steel garage which wil be removed to accomodate the extension, it already has a slab there which is 100mm thick as far as i can see and prob at floor level of the house. i expect that this will have to be lifted but believe that the ground below will be ok, Would it be possible just to do a single slab with no strip foundationas around it and build on it or is the strip around the prerimiter a must here

Heres a pic of the front of the house
Attached Thumbnails Need help from Concreters-house.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:18 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Even if it is rock. We were or are on rock, and they need to prove that the rock isnt, friable, porous or just fill.

However, I think all the same rules apply, for the slab, just that you shouldnt need any piering !!

Just a fella with sharp teeth and a cheeky grin, as he extracts money from ya !
I've just finished putting concrete stumps in for an extension I'm doing.The holes were 1.5 mtr deep, varied from 350 holes to 750 pads.Nightmare to clean out and I ended up filling three 6mtr bins with dirt.Any rocks that were floaters up to a mtr deep had to be removed.Right pain in the arse.Still all done now.I'm out the ground and can motor on.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:28 am
Banned

i have taken a pic of the front of the house with the double steel garage which wil be removed to accomodate the extension, it already has a slab there which is 100mm thick as far as i can see and prob at floor level of the house. i expect that this will have to be lifted but believe that the ground below will be ok, Would it be possible just to do a single slab with no strip foundationas around it and build on it or is the strip around the prerimiter a must here

Heres a pic of the front of the house
Since its very likely that the slab is only reinforced with mesh, youd have to put a footing in with larger diameter reo to support the weight of your extention. A trench all around with cages would be required, or retaining wall cages if you planned to make the walls out of concrete.

As other posters have said though, best get professional help onsite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.