Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need to get back to UK in a hurry

Need to get back to UK in a hurry

Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need to get back to UK in a hurry

Originally Posted by andrewb
Another one you can use is www.kelkoo.co.uk as this will check all the flights and you can book the flights from their web sites. Done this a few times and it is often cheaper than booking from Aus

Hi ya
just used the site you mentioned, we want to travel to the uk in sept. For 2 adults & 2 kids, the quote was $15,000.00!!!!!!! have i done something wrong as it $10,000.00 dearer than ayone else
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:00 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Thanks again all, for the links and the well wishes I see in my profile page (how did those get there?).

Flights I've found suitable include Gulf, Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay. I'm leaning toward Singapore at about 1750 all up, as I always remember them being excellent when I used to do the LHR-SIN leg many times per year - anyone flown them recently?

I see they still rate up at the top on airlinequality.com, but so do 2 of the other 3. I'll need reasonable comfort if I'm to get straight to work when I arrive, so I'm counting out Thai and Royal Brunei which were both really cramped last time I flew.

Also, I'm finding it tricky to find the exact times of the stopovers for these flights, they're all about the same overall, but less time in the air may tip the balance - I'm thinking HKG is probably an extra hour over SIN/KUL?

Cheers,
Alex
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Originally Posted by 4lex
Hi All,

The tenant who leased our house in the UK has destroyed the property and been arrested on drug trafficking charges.

The insurance won't cough for it (malicious damage excluded), builders quotes around 35k. I'll have to go back sharpish, assemble a team of mates and fix it myself (still reckon 10k in materials though).

Anyway - the flights. Need to be cheap cheap cheap - I'm looking at statravel.com.au, flightcentre.com.au and lastminute.com.au. Anyone got any more suggestions to check before I book?

Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex
I searched flights a couple of months ago and found a website called www.travel.com.au. At the time they had the cheapest flights I could find so I printed off the quote and took it to Flight Centre as they had promised to beat any quote for the same flight. They took another $20 off each fare and I felt I had the peace of mind of booking through an agent rather than a website.
Good luck with the repairs.

Julie
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear of the house trashing - hope that you can sort something out.

Must be a salutory clue to those who are thinking of renting their property, even if this IS the only option.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:08 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again all, for the links and the well wishes I see in my profile page (how did those get there?).

Flights I've found suitable include Gulf, Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay. I'm leaning toward Singapore at about 1750 all up, as I always remember them being excellent when I used to do the LHR-SIN leg many times per year - anyone flown them recently?

I see they still rate up at the top on airlinequality.com, but so do 2 of the other 3. I'll need reasonable comfort if I'm to get straight to work when I arrive, so I'm counting out Thai and Royal Brunei which were both really cramped last time I flew.

Also, I'm finding it tricky to find the exact times of the stopovers for these flights, they're all about the same overall, but less time in the air may tip the balance - I'm thinking HKG is probably an extra hour over SIN/KUL?

Cheers,
Alex
Get your flights quoted on the net and then go into Flight Centre and get them to beat the price. My latest flight in Jan cost approx 1400 inclusive of taxes with Cathay - Gulf air is not a good choice it will be three flights and at least a couple of hours stopover on the way there. Singapore and Cathay are the two I know and rate both.

I also rate Flight Centre as they confirm and check everything for me then and there and can check on the offers as well.

Do you think you are being charged more cause you are not giving much notice?

Good Luck with the house and everything - lucky for us our shitty tenants only wrecked the carpets, left the kitchen in a stinky mess and broken fences. A few hundred to sort out....and they were fiends of friends!! I feel for you.

Cheers
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Hi All,

The tenant who leased our house in the UK has destroyed the property and been arrested on drug trafficking charges.

The insurance won't cough for it (malicious damage excluded), builders quotes around 35k. I'll have to go back sharpish, assemble a team of mates and fix it myself (still reckon 10k in materials though).

Anyway - the flights. Need to be cheap cheap cheap - I'm looking at statravel.com.au, flightcentre.com.au and lastminute.com.au. Anyone got any more suggestions to check before I book?

Cheers,
Alex
Sorry to hear of your nightmare, not sure if u read about what happened to some of us that had booked a cheap thomson flight from sydney to the UK in January. Many of us booked thro bestflights.com.au but after our experience of cheap flights I would not fly cheap again, we had a delay of 49 hours !!!:scared:

We went to the qantas desk at sydney airport and tried to get on the next available flight but they told us we would have to pay full fare unless we went thro an agent, so we ended up going to nearest flight centre and booking on the next qantas flight to the Uk....so if u want to get there very quickly, ie later today,/tomorrow it may be worth paying more to get on the next flight.It was worth it for us to get there asap, but you may have to go cheap, and not mind when so long as it gets you there,fairly soon.
all the best
sherie.