Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need a financial adviser familiar with UK & Aus taxation

Need a financial adviser familiar with UK & Aus taxation

Old Jun 2nd 2018, 3:36 am
Just Joined

philmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant future
Default Need a financial adviser familiar with UK & Aus taxation

I've lived and worked (now an early retiree) in Oz since 1988, My wife came out on a spouse visa in 2004 and was granted citizenship in 2007. I'll be eligible for the Aussie Seniors payment as well as a part UK pension as will my wife as we've contributed to Nat Ins for 18 & 22 years.

Our assets aren't enough to affect the means test and our UK pensions might but not by a great amount and of course with the current rules our UK pensions will diminish over time in real terms. The joker in the pack for me is I also have a private pension fund with Aviva which started out life as a company pension but which I had transferred to a fully paid up scheme in 1988 known as a 'section 32' buyout.
This personal pension with declared bonuses will pay out a minimum £175k, it should be more assuming they come good with their promise of a final bonus on maturity, but it's not guaranteed.

The options as I understand it is to :-
Leave it in the UK and take lump or regular payments over 10 or so years and declare it here as an income for tax purposes.
Or pay a QROPS broker to transfer it to a Super fund here, accept that 15% Super contributions tax will be lost on the bulk of the funds as the original transfer value was only £13k.

What I really need is some referrals to financial advisor(s) who are familiar with taxation and pensions both UK and here. Please inbox, email me or post a response here if you can help or know something about these things - Thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a financial adviser familiar with UK & Aus taxation

Try Andrew Williams at Vista.Financial Services. He deals with the ATO and has worked with UK advisers.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Collett might be able to help.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:03 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Alan is GM Tax I think. You can google.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

philmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant futurephilmerrin has a brilliant future

Thanks for responses.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 11:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philmerrin
Thanks for responses.
I was in the process of engaging GM Tax but have hit a snag, will be happy to advise the forum of my experience with them once the current issue is resolved.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Alan is GM Tax I think. You can google.
Now bdh Tax: www.bdhtax.com

Thanks for the kind recommendation.

Best regards.