Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In need of encouragement

In need of encouragement

Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice
Default Re: In need of encouragement

Originally Posted by cranni
Just say you are coming on 12 month work visa, little white lie.
And dont go back.
Send a postcard, say you are staying.
It will make life easier.
Denise
Hahaha - don't think she'd fall for that somehow as we've already done the working holiday visa thing!

Easy part was completed last night - I told me sister we were definately going. She has been a little more clued up about it than the rents though so wasn't too much of a shock to her and she asked lots of questions and seemed pleased for me. Only one negative comment was that they have just started trying for a baby so knowing our luck she'll be giving birth just as i'm going. I told her that nothing would stop me seeing my niece/nephew which seemed to make her happier so that's one down two to go!!!! - given myself a time line of BEFORE the 9th Jan as that's when we have our first agent meeting!

xx
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Well your sisters reaction was encouraging & hopefully, if your parents are to be grandparents, that will take their minds off you leaving!
Good luck & let us know how you get on!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by natalieml
Hahaha - don't think she'd fall for that somehow as we've already done the working holiday visa thing!

Easy part was completed last night - I told me sister we were definately going. She has been a little more clued up about it than the rents though so wasn't too much of a shock to her and she asked lots of questions and seemed pleased for me. Only one negative comment was that they have just started trying for a baby so knowing our luck she'll be giving birth just as i'm going. I told her that nothing would stop me seeing my niece/nephew which seemed to make her happier so that's one down two to go!!!! - given myself a time line of BEFORE the 9th Jan as that's when we have our first agent meeting!

xx
Well done for telling your sister, hopefully she'll have got used to the idea by the time you tell your mum and dad and she'll support you and your reasons for going.

Good luck with mum and dad. It may be hard, but stay positive and remember 'It is your life' they'll come around to the idea, i'm sure. (What do I know, don't know them!!)

Anyway, thinking about you.

Jayne
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Just say.
Its only a day away.
Web cam.
I left older kids to start and this helped me.
I still have older one back in UK, and speak all the time, when he was down and signed off work for 3 weeks I had him here in 2 days.
My mum and dad had never touched a mouse before, at age 70 they are now computor literate and have web cam, they come out each year for 3 months, and they dont like flying.
We where the 10 pound poms when we where kids, 4 years in Mt Isa, compared to then it is so much easier for us expats.
Hubbs mum tried to stop us, we just did not tell her we was leaving, she still does not know where we live, but that is another story.
It your life , your future, just do it.
Denise x
Old Dec 30th 2007, 2:58 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea to tell your mum the news as a couple, sounds like she's already worried that you're going to make the break.

Tell her you love her but this is something that you both want to do, it may not be a permanent move and you want her to come and visit you as soon as possible.

It's never easy telling close relatives this news and it will be hard but you can do it. See it as the first big step towards your new life.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:06 am
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light

I feel for you too. Telling your family is probably one of the hardest things of the whole move especially if you are close.

What we did was we told family that we were going out for a couple of years to see if it was for us. We said we would make a decision whether to stay or go back after that.
This way it makes it easier for you and them because they have an idea that you will be back so you are not just leaving for good. This worked for my parents and they are now coming to visit us to see what its like here. I think they are getting pretty used to us being here.

One other thing I'll just mention is when it gets to the day you leave, stay near the airport so you can say goodbye the day before because it will then give you time to get your head together fo rthe long flight ahead. This was a very valuable tip we picked up from Expats and saved us a lot of heartache.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:32 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Let her read all the comment on this forum, she will soon see that a lot of people go back to the UK, that should give her the feeling that you might be back after a few years or so..... I am being serious, let her read all the oz forums.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

ok, if all goes to plan then tonight is the night I tell them
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck! Be calm & kind but firm.
Let us know how it goes!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:37 am
is hoping for the best

Location: dont know when now, but birmingham to perth soon :-(
english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future

hi

you will just have to accept that they will be upset and they will not want you to go.
just as they are just going to have to accept you are going to go.

its not nice telling the people you love that you are moving away but give them some time to think about it and they will im sure be proud that you have the guts to go out there and find a better life for yourself.
they will never like the fact you live on the other side of the world but they will come to terms with it.

just be strong and make sure you tell them you will always fly home as often as you can and this is something you really want to do.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

dont be emotionally blackmailed, its no good for anyone in the long run, to much resentment.

x
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my god I did it!! and it went so much better than I thought it would. Mum just nodded and asked if I would keep her informed of how we were doing with the process and dad asked us a few questions. Got an extra long and strong hug from mum as we left.

I know that when I go round there on my own there will be alot more questions etc and I know it will take a while to get their heads round it but at the end of the day the hard part is done!!!

The other half was great too, he told them a few facts about the process and that it will take a long time and was really seportive.

PHEW!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Well done! Glad it went better than expected - phew!

As you say you might get a few questions when you are on your own with your parents but at least it's out in the open now with no dramas!

Good luck on the next step of the adventure!
Kim
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road

Oh my god I did it!! and it went so much better than I thought it would. Mum just nodded and asked if I would keep her informed of how we were doing with the process and dad asked us a few questions. Got an extra long and strong hug from mum as we left.

I know that when I go round there on my own there will be alot more questions etc and I know it will take a while to get their heads round it but at the end of the day the hard part is done!!!

The other half was great too, he told them a few facts about the process and that it will take a long time and was really seportive.

PHEW!!!!

Hi there,

Been watching this thread to find out how it went. Glad it wasn't too bad for you. I bet it's a weight off and you can concentrate on moving forward with life now!!

Good luck with everything

J x
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

dont worry about your mum and flying. the first thing mine said to me when we broke the news was "well, you wont see your mum again cos i wont fly all that way". we'd been here a couple of months before they booked their first trip, she came ON HER OWN last year and stayed for three months while I had our baby and they're coming out again next week and again, she's staying longer and flying back on her own.

Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well done Nat!
Glad to hear it was better than expected but would imagine they will think about it & have more questions next time you see them. Can you make sure that your OH goes with you then too?