Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In need of desperate advice

In need of desperate advice

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default In need of desperate advice

Due to a family crisis my husband needs to fly back to Wellington NZ in about a weeks time.

We have searched flight centre and virgin blue and the prices are extortionately high.

Can anyone tell us of a weblink or company that could possibly do a better deal?

Any help much appreciated
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A Kiwi I work with tells me that her family (3 of whom live/work over here) now always fly Freedom as they are cheapest. Don't know if thats any help?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

I hope it isn't THIS bad, but some airlines will offer bereavement flights at very low rates, in case of a death in close family.

Mike
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:22 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very true Mike, Qantas have a certain number of seats daily to the UK that they allegedly keep for such reasons, letting them go to stand-by at the last minute. I have friends you've used them.
Hopefully PP your situation is not this bad?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:36 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: In need of desperate advice

Originally posted by podgypossum
Due to a family crisis my husband needs to fly back to Wellington NZ in about a weeks time.

We have searched flight centre and virgin blue and the prices are extortionately high.

Can anyone tell us of a weblink or company that could possibly do a better deal?

Any help much appreciated

Are you in ADL? if so I have just checked WWW.zuji.com.au and the cheapest is $590

I hope you find something and the situation is not too bad

Kala
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thankyou. I will check things out in the morning when my heads a bit clearer.

We are feeling a bit numb right now. Just found out his dad has liver cancer and things arent too hopeful. It is a rapidly progressing cancer but we havent been able to talk to his sister yet to find out details..cant get answer on the phone. She is a nurse.

Once again thanx for your help
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:51 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Pollyana
A Kiwi I work with tells me that her family (3 of whom live/work over here) now always fly Freedom as they are cheapest. Don't know if thats any help?
I flew Freedom last year - they were as cheap as we could find at the time.
Hope everything works out okay for you both.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:38 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pollyana
Very true Mike, Qantas have a certain number of seats daily to the UK that they allegedly keep for such reasons, letting them go to stand-by at the last minute. I have friends you've used them.
Hopefully PP your situation is not this bad?
Quantas and BA (same company I know) do this, unfortunately I had to make use of this facility a few years ago, had a flight etc within 12 hours!!
Fare was about £850 rtn to Brisbane from Heathrow, from memory

PJ
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have just realised there is another issue.

We are still waiting for our onshore PR application to be processed and i am not sure if we are allowed to leave the country. As it is Saturday i cant even phone APSC to find out.

Does anyone know if it is possible to leave and come back into Australia?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:07 pm
Home and Happy

PP, When my Temp Residence was being processed they told me that if I needed to leave the country to phone DIMIA who would arrange a Bridging Visa "B" - you need a good reason for leaving (which this is), an approx return date, and I think it cost about $65. I was enquiring in case I needed it for the same reason, and they said that is what its designed for. I know its a pain having to wait till Monday, but they should be able to sort it for you fast if you impress the urgency on them.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

www.travel.com.au
www.zuji.com.au
www.webjet.com.au
www.travel.com.au

Are the main online resellers.

Not sure if Emirates fly to NZ via Adelaide.

www.freedom.co.nz is the airline Pollyana was talking about. Plenty of Brisbane flights but no Adelaide flights.

As for PR application, what class is it that you are applying for someone like JAJ can help. You may need an alternative bridging visa as per Pollyana's suggestion or in some cases just keeping DIMIA informed will do.

Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2004, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanx Polly and BP. I guess we will just have to wait and phone them on Monday.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Dear PP

I know it's probably a little late now but some people do receive emails from ASPC on Saturdays so it may be worth trying, there maybe someone there.

Hope all works out with FIL, we're all thinking of you.

Lindsey
Old Jul 24th 2004, 1:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it's an onshore PR application?

If you've applied for a general skilled visa (which your post suggests you have, as you have applied to ASPC) it's treated just like an *offshore* application. Unless you're an Australian graduate applying for PR onshore - are you?

In the case of an offshore application, in other words, your travel and re-entry rights to Australia are govered by your *current* visa - look at the label in your passport and see what it says.

If you are in Australia and need professional advice urgently, I suggest calling IARC - http://www.iarc.asn.au

Jeremy

Originally posted by podgypossum
I have just realised there is another issue.

We are still waiting for our onshore PR application to be processed and i am not sure if we are allowed to leave the country. As it is Saturday i cant even phone APSC to find out.

Does anyone know if it is possible to leave and come back into Australia?
Old Jul 24th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

My husband is a New Zealand citizen and did not need a visa of any kind to enter Australia as far as i am aware. We certainly never applied for one prior to coming here. I just came in on a ETA .

He has applied under the visa class DB, subclass 861, skilled onshore independant New Zealand Citizen..... whatever that means
it is a joint application and he is sponsoring me as his wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.