Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need a current passport to claim citizenship?!?

Need a current passport to claim citizenship?!?

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of
Question Need a current passport to claim citizenship?!?

Hey guys,

Just wanting to see if anyone has been in the same situation or has any advice...

My passport expired in December 2006, and we are claiming citizenship this September. However, the Permanent Resident VISA inside the passport is still current...My question is, will they allow you to claim citizenship if the VISA is still valid but the passport isn't? If not, I'm going to have go through the long and drawn out process of ordering a new UK passport through the Australian Government...

Any advice?

Jamie
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a current passport to claim citizenship?!?

Originally Posted by jdt3000
Hey guys,

Just wanting to see if anyone has been in the same situation or has any advice...

My passport expired in December 2006, and we are claiming citizenship this September. However, the Permanent Resident VISA inside the passport is still current...My question is, will they allow you to claim citizenship if the VISA is still valid but the passport isn't? If not, I'm going to have go through the long and drawn out process of ordering a new UK passport through the Australian Government...

Any advice?

Jamie
It's probably a good idea to have one anyway. What happens if you suddenly need to go to UK for some reason? You will be stuck without a valid passport and not be able to leave the country.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:11 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Any advice?

Jamie
Get a new passport here... Takes 2 weeks...

British High Commission

HTH
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

My passport expired in December 2006, and we are claiming citizenship this September. However, the Permanent Resident VISA inside the passport is still current...My question is, will they allow you to claim citizenship if the VISA is still valid but the passport isn't?
In theory yes. Many longer-resident migrants and refugees etc, don't have valid passports. But most citizenship applicants do have a passport, so anything "different" about your application complicates it and makes processing time longer.

In any case it's "not smart" to be without a valid passport in case you ever need to travel urgently.

If not, I'm going to have go through the long and drawn out process of ordering a new UK passport through the Australian Government...
Where on earth did you get that idea from? You don't get a UK passport through the Australian government. It's issued by the British High Commission in Canberra - takes a few weeks.

Once you have your new passport, any DIAC office will transfer the residence visa from old to new.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:31 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Where on earth did you get that idea from? You don't get a UK passport through the Australian government. It's issued by the British High Commission in Canberra - takes a few weeks.
Or, if you're lucky, a few days.