Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need to buy a vehicle in Brisbane

Need to buy a vehicle in Brisbane

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:35 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to buy a vehicle in Brisbane

..went out to the car showrooms beside Ikea on Saturday and seems that the second hand cars are relatively expensive in comparison with new models.

Can anyone give me advice on what would be expected as a reduction if paying cash? Because we are not experts on cars we think we should buy from a showroom - rather than privately - due to guarantees etc.

We're looking to buy a RAV4 or a Mitsibushi Outlander (I think I've got that right?!). (Never thought about these bigger vehicles before but think we'll feel safer in the traffic with the Hoons (!!) if we have something like this. (A Hummer would be ideal!)

Are there any manuals comparing new versus second hand prices?

Thank you all
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:47 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need to buy a vehicle in Brisbane

Compared to the UK car depreciation here is VERy flat - it takes AGES for a car to lose its value.

Consequently, with a UK mindset on your shoulders it'll seem completely insane to buy a 2nd hand car less than 3yrs old as for a couple HUNDRED dollars more you'll get a new one!!! (It is possible to find 2nd hand cars less than 6months old that go for MORE than new ones of the same spec!)

For a guide to 2nd hand prices look at carsales.com.au and tradingpost - that should give you a rough idea.

In tossing up the Mitsubishi vs Toyota remember Toyota have a reputation (deserved I'd say on the basis of my last 10yrs experience driving in Qld) for cheap servicing costs. Some people have had bad reliability issues with Mitsubishi - but I believe they've improved a lot lately.... You'll probably find a Mitsi would depreciate faster than a Toyota simply on the basis of that reputation.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
..went out to the car showrooms beside Ikea on Saturday and seems that the second hand cars are relatively expensive in comparison with new models.

Can anyone give me advice on what would be expected as a reduction if paying cash? Because we are not experts on cars we think we should buy from a showroom - rather than privately - due to guarantees etc.

We're looking to buy a RAV4 or a Mitsibushi Outlander (I think I've got that right?!). (Never thought about these bigger vehicles before but think we'll feel safer in the traffic with the Hoons (!!) if we have something like this. (A Hummer would be ideal!)

Are there any manuals comparing new versus second hand prices?

Thank you all
Have a look at:
http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/

Gives a good ideas as to the amount off (if any) the retail price you might be looking at through a dealer.

Just done a quick search on the Outlander:

http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/mi...-4x4-2-4i.aspx

Are you dead set on a small 4x4 (Rav, Outlander etc). I'm a bit biased, but I think the Mitsubishi 380 makes a cracking second hand buy. Facelift 2007 models for $16k which would have the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty left (5 years) and the dealer woul probably chuck in an additional 3 year warranty over and above that. I've used these chaps in the past, and found them very fair.

http://www.toowongmitsubishi.com.au/...-used-cars.php

They're out at Toowong (inner western subs).

Last edited by spartacus; Dec 22nd 2008 at 2:41 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:37 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

We're looking to buy a RAV4 or a Mitsibushi Outlander

Thank you all
I can do you a Rav 4 Cruiser, not yet 3 years old, Silver, 40,000kms, bull bar and sidesteps for $25k if you;re interested.

Try here to get an idea of used car prices:

http://www.redbook.com.au/

Last edited by jayr; Dec 22nd 2008 at 2:40 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for your replies...lots of interesting information to read.
Cheers
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Can anyone give me advice on what would be expected as a reduction if paying cash?
We got at least $2,000 off from a start price of $15,000, but it did take about an hour of haggling.

And that was before the current financial situation, where they will now do much more to get a sale.

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

Hiya I know a guy that deals direct with the auctions in Brisbane, I have sent a few clients his way all have been happy with the savings, if you need any help feel free to pm me

Sarah x
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

we have just bought a used outlander today, 15000$ drive away.
be prepared , the 3% duty & reg fees are used by the dealers for haggling on price, so even though the press says theres a downturn in the market they don,t knock much off.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

The market is very dead. It is a buyer's market so take your time and shop around. You can get great discounts and as always don't let those salesmen try to tell you otherwise.