British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Need of advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/need-advice-416546/)

scoobs_fr Jan 2nd 2007 9:27 pm

Need of advice

Hi .... need some advice , i'm currently in Melbourne on holiday on a tourist visa ... but want to stay longer , which means working...any advice on the best way in getting work or sponsorship here???.... the red tape and various visas seem quite baffling....

cheers

esperanza Jan 2nd 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Need of advice

Originally Posted by scoobs_fr (Post 4244299)
Hi .... need some advice , i'm currently in Melbourne on holiday on a tourist visa ... but want to stay longer , which means working...any advice on the best way in getting work or sponsorship here???.... the red tape and various visas seem quite baffling....

cheers

How old are you? Working holiday visa?

DrWho Jan 2nd 2007 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by scoobs_fr (Post 4244299)

cheers

Do you qualify for a Working Holiday Visa...? Allows a one year stay, can I think be extended to 2 years... Plenty of time to try and sort something else out when you've one of them... :)

scoobs_fr Jan 2nd 2007 9:32 pm

No im over 30, so dont qualify which is a pain!!

DrWho Jan 2nd 2007 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by scoobs_fr (Post 4244309)
No im over 30, so dont qualify which is a pain!!

Bummer... Best bet then is to have a quick chat with a migration agent... Most will give you an idea straight away of what's involved... Try George Lombard here... www.austimmigration.com.au

esperanza Jan 2nd 2007 9:36 pm

I don't know the details but I imagine it takes some time to get an employer-sponsored visa, how long have you got left as a tourist?

scoobs_fr Jan 2nd 2007 9:40 pm

ive got till mid march... i was looking at the student option too ... but would be quite expensive i think...

esperanza Jan 2nd 2007 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by scoobs_fr (Post 4244328)
ive got till mid march... i was looking at the student option too ... but would be quite expensive i think...

Yes you might well end up paying international fees and they tot up quite quickly.

My next solution may seem radical but give it some thought.... Why not find an Aussie that wants to share your citizenship and get hitched?! ;)

scoobs_fr Jan 2nd 2007 9:45 pm

A bit drastic... but hey im single!!! yeah the fees are pretty high for international students, but would rather work, finding a sponsor is proving quite difficult