Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nearly 3 weeks Into Oz

Nearly 3 weeks Into Oz

Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:23 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nearly 3 weeks Into Oz

Just thought I would let some of you know how we are getting on.
We arrived in Brisbane 19 days ago.
If you are not coming to Oz with kids then this will bore you silly so dont read on
We spent the first week looking around areas and schools and getting Tax file numbers registering for medi care etc.
Our children are both in school now and my husband has an interview this afternoon with Virgin Blue (so fingers crossed please!)
I have decided to put of job hunting till Feb as I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the kids over the Christmas holidays.

Our 11yr old boy started school first and has been there for nearly 2 weeks now. His first day at school was a field trip to Parliament house in Brisbane City, he was absolutely terrified and could hardly speak the morning he started. What a relief when I picked him up to see him smiling and waving bye to a whole load of kids. He said the kids were all friendly even the year 7's he is in Grade 6. He is already on the Softball team and absolutely loves going to school. He loves the fact that his accent is sometimes the centre of attention, if he speaks out in class the kids all laugh and ask him to say it again all of this is done in a very friendly way.
The fact that the kids were so friendly at school gave him the confidence to approach a group of kids in our street and now his days consist of school, playing in the pool with the other kids or playing cricket in the street (bare foot because why should I wear shoes when none of the other kids do) he comes in at 6pm when it gets dark eats his dinner goes in the shower and flops into bed and is asleep by 8pm (unheard of when we were in England, wanting a shower and asking to go to bed!)
Our 14yr old daughter started school on Monday. She was even more frightened than Greg and I think I was too. I dont mind saying that when I left her there I couldn't drive off for about ten mins because I was so emotional. The first day she came home and said yeah it was ok and that the kids are friendly, 3 days in and she has settled with a group of girls that she likes rather than the first group that monopolised her on the first day, I told her to do that now as it would be easier than doing it in a couple of weeks.
She is missing her friends but I asked her if she was given the choice of staying here or going back home what would she chose and she said definitely stay here. She was asked if she would like to stand up in her English Class and introduce herself she said yes she would the class then began to ask her questions and I had to laugh when she said they wanted to know if she had met the Queen? Had she seen Buckingham Palace? has she seen the Queens guards with the big black hats? and the best one, has she met Harry Potter? and that she talks just like the people in Harry Potter how cool
I definitely have my rose tinted glasses on still, I love so much about Australia. I manage to speak to family in England every few days, we buy international calling cards and use them on the phone in the rental, you get about 1200 minutes for $20.

So as you can see everything is going well. I still feel excited every morning when I wake up. I have become a twitcher and bought myself a bird book so that I now know the name of the birds that I am watching.
Some people have said that they knew Australia wasn't for them within the first week well if you really can know that soon then I know it is for us.
I am sure that there will be times that I feel differently and that there will be times when I would do anything to have my family near by, it certainly wont be because I cant get hold of my particular brand of Gravy/Knickers.

Sharon
x
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nearly 3 weeks Into Oz

great post sharon, glad to see that it's not just rose tinted glasses but that life can be every thing you want it to be. I hope the next three weeks are as good as the last three.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:00 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

what brand gravy ?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
If you are not coming to Oz with kids then this will bore you silly so dont read on
We spent the first week looking around areas and schools and getting Tax file numbers registering for medi care etc.
Our children are both in school now and my husband has an interview this afternoon with Virgin Blue (so fingers crossed please!)
I have decided to put of job hunting till Feb as I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the kids over the Christmas holidays.

Our 11yr old boy started school first and has been there for nearly 2 weeks now. His first day at school was a field trip to Parliament house in Brisbane City, he was absolutely terrified and could hardly speak the morning he started. What a relief when I picked him up to see him smiling and waving bye to a whole load of kids. He said the kids were all friendly even the year 7's he is in Grade 6. He is already on the Softball team and absolutely loves going to school. He loves the fact that his accent is sometimes the centre of attention, if he speaks out in class the kids all laugh and ask him to say it again all of this is done in a very friendly way.
The fact that the kids were so friendly at school gave him the confidence to approach a group of kids in our street and now his days consist of school, playing in the pool with the other kids or playing cricket in the street (bare foot because why should I wear shoes when none of the other kids do) he comes in at 6pm when it gets dark eats his dinner goes in the shower and flops into bed and is asleep by 8pm (unheard of when we were in England, wanting a shower and asking to go to bed!)
Our 14yr old daughter started school on Monday. She was even more frightened than Greg and I think I was too. I dont mind saying that when I left her there I couldn't drive off for about ten mins because I was so emotional. The first day she came home and said yeah it was ok and that the kids are friendly, 3 days in and she has settled with a group of girls that she likes rather than the first group that monopolised her on the first day, I told her to do that now as it would be easier than doing it in a couple of weeks.
She is missing her friends but I asked her if she was given the choice of staying here or going back home what would she chose and she said definitely stay here. She was asked if she would like to stand up in her English Class and introduce herself she said yes she would the class then began to ask her questions and I had to laugh when she said they wanted to know if she had met the Queen? Had she seen Buckingham Palace? has she seen the Queens guards with the big black hats? and the best one, has she met Harry Potter? and that she talks just like the people in Harry Potter how cool
I definitely have my rose tinted glasses on still, I love so much about Australia. I manage to speak to family in England every few days, we buy international calling cards and use them on the phone in the rental, you get about 1200 minutes for $20.

So as you can see everything is going well. I still feel excited every morning when I wake up. I have become a twitcher and bought myself a bird book so that I now know the name of the birds that I am watching.
Some people have said that they knew Australia wasn't for them within the first week well if you really can know that soon then I know it is for us.
I am sure that there will be times that I feel differently and that there will be times when I would do anything to have my family near by, it certainly wont be because I cant get hold of my particular brand of Gravy/Knickers.

Sharon
x
As a mum of 6 i can relate to everyting you have said, my kids settled so well and they love it here, and the kids are lovely to them.
We have met the queen and took photos in and outside the palace so my kids are very popular. They love my kids accent, being northern.
My 19 yr old daughter i thought would not last a month has taken Bunbury by storm and loves it here. Her phone never stops ringing.
My 12 yr old whom i worried about, is fine and so confident.
I am with AAPT $59 cap, i ring home all the time any time, and my UK and NZ calls cost just 59 a month, its great.
We also have webcam, my mum and dad sang happy birthday to me yesterday, and later my older son came on at mums and all my six kids sang HAPPY bday to me, I am crying now thinking about it. Enjoy, Denise
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased it's working out for you all after the bad experience you had in the UK. Hope the next few years are as good as the last few weeks.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Nice post Sharon, glad all is goin so well ...
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Sharon
Its so good to hear things are going so well.
Your kids have settled in great and you sound so happy
Keep us posted,
Hilary
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:25 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear its all going well for you Sharon, especially after the trauma you guys had in UK.

Welcome to Gods country
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:59 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Sharon great post. I think we all do one like that in the first few weeks I did afer 5 cos couldn't get access to a pc.

Glad that all is well and that you love all about Aus. So pleased that your daughter is ok after all she has been through. This is a brilliant new start for you all hope you make it work.

Whereabouts in Brissie are you btw. We are in Cleveland, bayside.

Take care
Ang
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:22 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Hey Sharon great post. I think we all do one like that in the first few weeks I did afer 5 cos couldn't get access to a pc.

Glad that all is well and that you love all about Aus. So pleased that your daughter is ok after all she has been through. This is a brilliant new start for you all hope you make it work.

Whereabouts in Brissie are you btw. We are in Cleveland, bayside.

Take care
Ang
We are in a holiday rental in Taigum but kids are in school in Wavell Heights so we are looking around that area for something more permanent.
Haven't been Bayside yet, did visit Graceville and Sherwood at the weekend, liked them both and especially Sherwood. Nearly visited Cleveland today after dropping Hubby in the City for interview just couldn't find my way home lol. I even enjoy getting lost
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:28 am
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point

Sharon
x
Thanks for that Sharon,

A real feel good morning read with my cup of coffee x

Hope it all continues to go well and look forward to joining you next year x

Vics xx
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:35 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hiya sharon,
pleased to hear you have settled so well so quickly.....well done to you all!!
I was especially glad to hear your kids have settled into school straight away - as a parent this is something i constantly worry about.

sue
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:02 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post, I'm glad you've all settled so well
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Sharon
x
So pleased to hear you have all settled in so well. Lovely thread.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Sharon,

May I ask a question... are your kids going to private or public schools? I've often read that public schools aren't too good but we can't afford to send our 3 kids private so it will have to be public schools for us.

Would be nice to know that the good experiences that you kids are having were from public school life.

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.