Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:54 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Hi everyone -
Taken me a while to pop back on this forum
Just to say a big hello.
We have been in Aus now for nearly 3 months and have spent a fortune.
Cats are well settled after enduring quarantine for a month and are killing all the local wildlife (Aw Bless).
Living in a lovely place called Bokarina on the sunshine coast - between Moloolaba and Caloundra.
Bought a Car - and everything else you can imagine to furnish our rented home.

Even got myself a pool table a bar fridge and a 4 burner barbecue.
Not much work in IT so may have to
(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni
(c) Start my own PC Support business

Havent got a bad word to say about Aus - it's better than I remember it to be.
Aussies have a great sense of humour and Queenslanders absolutely rock!
Made loadsa friends at the local surf club - had a party last Saturday for my wifes birthday and about 50 Aussies turned up to admire my pool Table.

I'll post back when I get more time
Bye for now - heres a picture of our pad
Attached Thumbnails Nearly 3 Months in Aussie-dscf2016.jpg   Nearly 3 Months in Aussie-dscf2015.jpg   Nearly 3 Months in Aussie-dscf2023.jpg  
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:03 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Hi everyone -
Just to say a big hello.
Cats are well settled after enduring quarantine for a month and are killing all the local wildlife (Aw Bless).
Living in a lovely place called Bokarina on the sunshine coast - between Moloolaba and Caloundra.

(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni

Made loadsa friends at the local surf club - had a party last Saturday for my wifes birthday and about 50 Aussies turned up to admire my pool Table.

We've been in Perth just short of three months too. Bought a house and a car and loads of furniture/white goods/BBQ/bar fridge etc etc.

We're loving it too!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

50 Aussies turned up to admire my pool Table.

Cool post
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:37 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone -
Just to say a big hello.

(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni

Good for you Mick......place looks great

Good luck with the job hunting too x
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Happy swimming! <g>
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:46 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone -
Just to say a big hello.

(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni

How nice to read a positive post!!!

Glad you got your priorities right with getting the Pool Table so quick!!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:56 am
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mick,

Great to hear you've settled in so well! Your place looks lovely

Keep us updated with your job.

Janine
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:15 am
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

I work just down the road from you at an air conditioning place behind super A Mart. Getting a job here isn't too easy as they all seem to want Aussie experience. I think the only way to get good money is to work for yourself. I only got my job because I told everyone I met I was looking and eventually got a job that way.

I agree with you about the Sunshine Coast, it's a beautiful area with loads of fantastic spots to take the kids.

We often go up to point cartwright and take a picnic and the kids go snorkeling in the bay by the rocks. There are usually only a couple of people up there which is amazing as it's a fantastic spot. Most people seem to head for Mooloolaba as it's patrolled.

Good luck with the job hunting I will let you know if I hear anything.
Dave

Hi everyone -
Just to say a big hello.

(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni

Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Hi everyone -
Just to say a big hello.

(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni

Nice one, Mick! Looks like you're well sorted.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:48 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mick,
Hoping to be in Caloundra for Easter ourselves.
got to ask tho mate,how much was the pool table and where did you get it?
It is one thing that we were going to buy and bring over,can get one here for about £800,as the shop is very local to us I haven't shopped around much as I thought that was a good price??
Sorry for being nosey!
All the best
RM
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymad

I'd be interested to know as well, we could set a pool competition up
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:26 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Mick. Glad you are loving your new life. We've been here 8 weeks this week and although still looking for work we love everything about Australia (even the nastier wildlife from a distance ).
The only thing we need (apart from work) is for the pub to be finished at Springfield Lakes (there is nowhere within staggering distance ) to make it perfect.
Hope you find work soon and continue to have a ball.

Loz x
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:52 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Hi everyone -
Just to say a big hello.

(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni

Hi,
Sitting here in The Toon,on a cold,wet and windy night .Very jealoous of your pool(though not really the pool table!).
Glad you are enjoying the adventure!Have a drink for us left back here in the cold
Good luck!
Andrea
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone -
Just to say a big hello.

(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni

Nice of you to share your piccy's with us...glad you are enjoying yourselves..
all the best for the future
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:17 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Hi Mick,
Hoping to be in Caloundra for Easter ourselves.
It is one thing that we were going to buy and bring over,can get one here for about £800,as the shop is very local to us I haven't shopped around much as I thought that was a good price??
Sorry for being nosey!
All the best
RM
Its a refurbished pub table - brand new cloth. Cost me only $1300 think thats approx 500 quid an absolute steel.
I forgot to say I tore my Right calf muscle playing football with the aussies and Im on crutches for my troubles - got a Job Interview at the Sunshine Coast Uni in a fortnight - so hopefully I will be walking otherwise I'll look an idiot in a suit on the sticks.
By the way Hospital service better than uk - I was given pain killers on arrival - waited 90 minutes and they took me through for an ultrascan of the muscle - even checked veins for clotting etc... Discovered a 3 inch rip. Gave me crutches and a letter for my doctor (which i havent sorted out yet!)
bye for now....
Take a look at my beach its at the bottom of the garden.....
well the local beach anyway
Cost of living seems comparative to UK - if you take into account salary expectations (most things are cheaper)- im working on the dollar now and not on my dwindling uk pound.
Attached Thumbnails Nearly 3 Months in Aussie-dscf2039.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.