Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Navy Housing ? - what is it like ?

Navy Housing ? - what is it like ?

Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:23 pm
Go for it !!!!

russandkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Navy Housing ? - what is it like ?

Hi,

I would be very interested to hear what the Navy housing is like in the different areas.....in the UK the housing is not great and tends to be quite old and not brilliant. I just wondered where the housing was in the various areas (Sydney and Canberra in particular) and what the general standard is....are they dedicated military houses or are they normal houses that the forces buy ?

Any details appreciated...thanks - Russ
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:47 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Navy Housing ? - what is it like ?

Originally Posted by russandkaren
Hi,

I would be very interested to hear what the Navy housing is like in the different areas.....in the UK the housing is not great and tends to be quite old and not brilliant. I just wondered where the housing was in the various areas (Sydney and Canberra in particular) and what the general standard is....are they dedicated military houses or are they normal houses that the forces buy ?

Any details appreciated...thanks - Russ
Hi we are in Rockingham and there is a large Naval base here, the Navy housing here is all private now, they lease brand new homes for 10 years and then redecorate and hand them back to the owners. They used to have their own homes but they have gone away from that now. I can not speak for Sydney and Canberra though. Suzette.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:04 am
Just Joined

cornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nice
Default Re: Navy Housing ? - what is it like ?

defence housing have an office in most of the main posting areas. they are very helpful and have all properties on their website. your OH should try to get access to the system prior to your arrival here. you can have up to 2 weeks(more if neccessary) in temporay accomm( motel/appartment) when you get here & before housing is allocated. housing allocations depend on number, age and sex of kid, as well as rank. all houses are mixed in with local communities, rather than on a "patch", although you may find a few other service families in the same street. if your kids are school age some schools have a defence transition aide whose role is to help new defence students settle in- a big help for the kids and parents.we were lucky to know where we were going to be posted as soon as acceptance letter arrived. we came out here on a reccie visit 6 months before we actually moved, without the kids, to look at schools,housing and suburbs, met the housing team and defence community office(DCO) liaison team. this gave us a sense of where we would fit in and a focus to planning our move.OH used his resettlement job seeking allowance for the trip.definitely saved us time , stress and money when we finally got here.we also had our stuff shipped to arrive when we did so didn't have too long in temp accomm. you can also rent furniture etc from defence housing if you want to move to permanent housing before sea & air freight arrive.when we were considering our housing choices we chose the suburb where the schools we liked were. good luck with your move.