native plants

Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default native plants

Hi!

Ive been given some native plants as a gift - not for Valentines Day. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a website to identify them or if you dont mind having a look on my flickr site see if you can identify them yourself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliverandlisa/

thanks, its been driving me bonkers.

Lisa.xx
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: native plants

I think the yellow one is some form of Banksia, certainly has simliar shaped flowerhead and leaves.

The pink one difficult to tell, can you do a photo showing a bit more of the leaves and not such a close up?

My OH bought me a good book called "Australian Native Gardening Made Easy", it's by Dick Chadwick and has good photos of the plants if you're interested.

HTH
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I think the yellow one is some form of Banksia, certainly has simliar shaped flowerhead and leaves.

The pink one difficult to tell, can you do a photo showing a bit more of the leaves and not such a close up?

My OH bought me a good book called "Australian Native Gardening Made Easy", it's by Dick Chadwick and has good photos of the plants if you're interested.

HTH
Thanks, that sounds familiar to what the person said that gave them to me. Thanks you... one down one to go... Will have a look for a different pic of the other one
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the yellow one:

B. SPECIOSA
'Showy banksia'. Attractive, large yellow-green flower cones over summer-autumn. Long, strongly serrated leaves on a dense, vigorous bush to 2m x 2m or more.May be hard pruned to keep compact. Requires well drained, lighter soils. Salt wind resistant and light frosts tolerated.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
Thanks, that sounds familiar to what the person said that gave them to me. Thanks you... one down one to go... Will have a look for a different pic of the other one
ive put another pic on, its not much better but the best i have got...
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, havent a clue on that one, is it definitely a native as the leaves look more like a succulent?

Do you have any native nurseries near you? The only thing I can really recommend is you pop down to something like that, or maybe a landscaping company, and ask them as they'll probably know straight away.

When you find out please drop me a PM and let me know what it was
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

Hi,

Looks like some sort of protea to me but I could be wrong, fine specimen though !!!

Amanda
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by flowergal
Hi,

Looks like some sort of protea to me but I could be wrong, fine specimen though !!!

Amanda
That's what I first thought.... off to do some more digging!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go

http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/sgap1a.html
http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/index.html
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Protea - thats it. I did a google image search on the name you gave and there it was... exactly the same. Thanks everyone, its nice to be able to put names to flowers but i just didnt have a clue where to start!

Going ot update flickr now.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Protea - thats it. I did a google image search on the name you gave and there it was... exactly the same. Thanks everyone, its nice to be able to put names to flowers but i just didnt have a clue where to start!

Going ot update flickr now.
How bizarre cos I tried google image and it didnt bring one up the same...
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bridie
How bizarre cos I tried google image and it didnt bring one up the same...
yes that is strange... however this is the link i got from google

http://www.geocities.com/williamwchow/galen/protea.htm
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flowergal
Hi,

Amanda
thanks

Lisa.x
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes that is strange... however this is the link i got from google

http://www.geocities.com/williamwchow/galen/protea.htm
Aaaah yes i did see some like that but it was hard to tell if it was the same one as your photo cos of the angle

glad you found out wha they are