British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   For Nationwide credit card holders (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nationwide-credit-card-holders-556553/)

Wol Aug 21st 2008 11:04 am

For Nationwide credit card holders

I have long been advocating obtaining and using a Nationwide Visa card - the one that doesn't charge extra for out-of-UK currencies.

I have just been told by Nationwide - because I queried the fact that my profile online doesn't show fully my Australian address - that they will no longer send out renewal cards overseas. They quote "security concerns".

I would have thought that there are the same security concerns regardless of address - the card companies automatically send out renewal cards by post without any independent notification.

It would seem to me to be sensible to send the cards out say a month ahead of the old ones' expiring but to block their use until the holder logs onto the secure site and tells the provider that he has received the new one.

So what's the fuss about overseas?

Shame on Nationwide. :thumbdown:

chrispy Aug 22nd 2008 1:38 am

Re: For Nationwide credit card holders

We have noticed a decline in the service provided by nationwide, we have had quite a few problems with them some that have not been resolved after a year here.

peanut21 Aug 22nd 2008 1:52 am

They sent out new cards to my mother in laws and she posted them straight out to us. We have never had any trouble with Nationwide in the 2 years we have been here.

FluffieFaerie Aug 22nd 2008 2:02 am

We've been having a complete nightmare using our Nationwide card in Australia. They keep stopping the damn card even though there's plenty of credit on it. Then we have to spend forever on the phone at international call prices to bloody sort it out.

Thankfully HSBC gave us a credit card after only 4 weeks with them despite telling us on arrival that it would take 3 months in Oz before anyone would give us credit - what a load of tosh.

We've also had PayPal block our account because we logged in and tried to transfer the credit in there using an Australian IP address. They're now completely ignoring our emails so basically witholding our money. So again, we've had to call them on an international rate number and all they would say is that it's been put under investigation. All we want to do is transfer our money to our UK account. Nightmare. :sneaky:

Wol Aug 22nd 2008 3:31 am

Originally Posted by peanut21 (Post 6702952)
They sent out new cards to my mother in laws and she posted them straight out to us. We have never had any trouble with Nationwide in the 2 years we have been here.

Do they have your Australian address on file though?

Wol Aug 22nd 2008 3:32 am

>>We've also had PayPal block our account because we logged in and tried to transfer the credit in there using an Australian IP address. They're now completely ignoring our emails so basically witholding our money. So again, we've had to call them on an international rate number and all they would say is that it's been put under investigation. All we want to do is transfer our money to our UK account. Nightmare. :sneaky:<<

I wouldn't touch PayPal - there have been too many problems with them.

St.Georges Girl Aug 22nd 2008 3:44 am

Not had any problems with Nationwide except being told they could no longer issue us with new cards after being here for 9 years. I phoned and emailed them and shortly after we received new Visa Debit cards and the little security card machine (looks like a tiny calculator), to enable us to continue with internet banking. We have no problems transferring money or using our cards for purchases.

Wol Aug 22nd 2008 3:46 am

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl (Post 6703126)
Not had any problems with Nationwide except being told they could no longer issue us with new cards after being here for 9 years. I phoned and emailed them and shortly after we received new Visa Debit cards and the little security card machine (looks like a tiny calculator), to enable us to continue with internet banking. We have no problems transferring money or using our cards for purchases.

That's interesting: did you get the card recently?

St.Georges Girl Aug 22nd 2008 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 6703135)
That's interesting: did you get the card recently?

It was last year Wol, after being almost 2 years without one. I think it had something to do with the new internet banking security systems they were setting up then, because this year we got the little card reader sent to us.

We used to have our mortgage with N'wide in the UK, then paid it off when we came here but left an account open and had an agreed overdraft amount should we ever need it. We have been paying money into a savings a/c with them for about 5 years now and still have a Flexaccount too. We used to have all the statements sent to my sisters address, but changed it to our Aus' one in 2000.

Wol Aug 22nd 2008 4:02 am

I will have to have words with N/W again then!

I have one of the little gizmos to bank online with HSBC: a good security device IMO.

koalakim Aug 22nd 2008 4:10 am

Nationwide are a pain. We've got an e-account with a flex account, we wanted to take the money out of the e-account and for some reason our password and log-on wouldn't work. We called them up and they said we'd have to go into a branch - we explained that we are in Oz, you still have to come into a branch they say - er which part of we live in Oz don't you understand!

Because we did have a trip back to planned we went into a branch and even the lady there said if our log-ons didn't work she wouldn't be able to help us. They'd have to re-issue everything which meant it would go to our UK address from which all the post is being forwarded to here! So in the end we did manage to get one set of log ons to work so we solved the problem. Anyway, for the duration of our stay we changed our address to my Mum's and now they've changed it to the Aussie one.

I know they keep saying it's because of security but if you can't access your own money it's a bit of a pain in the ****.

Kim

bridie Aug 22nd 2008 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 6703171)

I have one of the little gizmos to bank online with HSBC: a good security device IMO.

How strange, I dont :confused:

peanut21 Aug 22nd 2008 5:39 am

me neither but hub has one and its on the same account

St.Georges Girl Aug 22nd 2008 6:27 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 6703264)
How strange, I dont :confused:

Are you registered for internet banking Bridie?

Reasonable Aug 25th 2008 1:30 am

[QUOTE=Wol;6703171]I will have to have words with N/W again then!

Will be interested to hear the outcome.

Regards