Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nationwide Building Society Account CHAPS

Nationwide Building Society Account CHAPS

Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

suggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to all
Default Nationwide Building Society Account CHAPS

Good Evening,

Is it fine to have an account or a number of e-based accounts with the Nationwide Building Society when you DO NOT have a UK address?

Also, has anyone managed to perform or carry out a CHAPS money transfer from a Nationwide Flex account to a Forex account in their own name while living in Australia? I know you can do a maximum £10k BACS money transfer online while living in Australia, but CHAPS is a very different animal when working with larger amounts.

Thankyou Suggs
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Re: Nationwide Building Society Account CHAPS

Originally Posted by suggs
Good Evening,

Is it fine to have an account or a number of e-based accounts with the Nationwide Building Society when you DO NOT have a UK address?

Also, has anyone managed to perform or carry out a CHAPS money transfer from a Nationwide Flex account to a Forex account in their own name while living in Australia? I know you can do a maximum £10k BACS money transfer online while living in Australia, but CHAPS is a very different animal when working with larger amounts.

Thankyou Suggs
I am not sure what "CHAPS' is about.

Very recently, my mother had a large some of money transferred from her Nationwide B/S Flex account to her commonwealth account using forex. A bit of paperwork involved but it all came through.

Barney
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:18 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

We opened our Nationwide account before we left the UK. My OH's pension gets paid in there. The only address they have for us is an Australian one. Our new cards have just been sent over here so not a problem as far as not having a UK address.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

suggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by POW148
I am not sure what "CHAPS' is about.

Very recently, my mother had a large some of money transferred from her Nationwide B/S Flex account to her commonwealth account using forex. A bit of paperwork involved but it all came through.

Barney
Hi,

CHAPS is an instant same day transfer for large amounts, costs around £30. The problem is for me is that if you are in Australia, the Nationwide will not initiate a CHAPS online, or over the phone, you have to physically present a document or printed form to the Building Society to get them to carry out the CHAPS transfer, easy if you are in the UK, a little harder if you are in Australia.

My concern is, if you book a Forex transaction on the Monday, then you have to CHAPS your money to your Forex account asap, could get complicated when you are in Australia?

Suggs
Old Jun 28th 2009, 11:03 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

From memory, CHAPS are Clearing House Automated Payments so you would not use these for international transfers, only between UK banks that are part of the CHAPTS service. Traditionally, CHAPS payments are used by banks and solicitors for high value urgent transfers although the remit has extended. You would just do international transfers and I'm sure Nationwide could help with those.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by harrip
From memory, CHAPS are Clearing House Automated Payments so you would not use these for international transfers, only between UK banks that are part of the CHAPTS service. Traditionally, CHAPS payments are used by banks and solicitors for high value urgent transfers although the remit has extended. You would just do international transfers and I'm sure Nationwide could help with those.

Sorry,

I think you have the wrong end of the stick? I want to CHAPS from my Nationwide Flex current account to my Forex account while living in Australia.

Suggs
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

fairywings will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure if you can still do it but they used to let you set up something called a bill payment, which is where the details are held on your flexaccount and you can either go online or use a Nationwide cashpoint to send the money, its a little like a direct debit only you get to control the amounts and how often. I'm not sure if there is a limit on how much money you can send this way per transaction but if you are regularly transferring money it may help you to look into it.

They also used to have something which was called SWIFT payments, which was the international version of the CHAPS transfer.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fairywings
I'm not sure if you can still do it but they used to let you set up something called a bill payment, which is where the details are held on your flexaccount and you can either go online or use a Nationwide cashpoint to send the money, its a little like a direct debit only you get to control the amounts and how often. I'm not sure if there is a limit on how much money you can send this way per transaction but if you are regularly transferring money it may help you to look into it.

They also used to have something which was called SWIFT payments, which was the international version of the CHAPS transfer.

Thanks, but there is a £10k transaction limit online. If you have over say 10 times £10k to transfer, then it gets a bit messy making that number of transactions all in one day.

Suggs
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Thanks, but there is a £10k transaction limit online. If you have over say 10 times £10k to transfer, then it gets a bit messy making that number of transactions all in one day.

Suggs
That's what we did. Took about half an hour to set them all up but worked fine. If you'd started to do it when you started this thread it would be done by now
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
That's what we did. Took about half an hour to set them all up but worked fine. If you'd started to do it when you started this thread it would be done by now
10 times, yep, just imagine if you had a million? 100 times? I wonder how many you are allowed in one day? Is there a limit, say for example 25 times, £250k, or is there no limit?

Suggs
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why it's a problem for you to make 10 x £10k transfers or why you think this is messy??? If you get confused, you can see straight away how many transfers you've made and how many you've still got to do. It's really not difficult.

10 times, yep, just imagine if you had a million? 100 times? I wonder how many you are allowed in one day? Is there a limit, say for example 25 times, £250k, or is there no limit?
The total transfer limit with Nationwide for one day with internet banking is £3 million.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
The total transfer limit with Nationwide for one day with internet banking is £3 million.
Oh, I wish!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:04 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Sorry,

I think you have the wrong end of the stick? I want to CHAPS from my Nationwide Flex current account to my Forex account while living in Australia.

Suggs
Dont think so.
What do you mean your Forex account? An account in Australia in AUD?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:37 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
I don't understand why it's a problem for you to make 10 x £10k transfers or why you think this is messy??? If you get confused, you can see straight away how many transfers you've made and how many you've still got to do. It's really not difficult.

That is good news for me, i have a similar problem, so if you had say for example, and its only an example, £800k in your Flex account, i know, would be nice. You wanted to change it to the Ozzy Dollar. So you could go online, into your internet banking Nationwide Account, and sit there for a few hours doing 80 yes EIGHTY £10k transfers. All this while sitting at your computer in Australia, sending the money to your nominated bill payment Forex account?

Seems a better option than posting a CHAPS form to the Nationwide, an even better option than getting on a plane flying half way round the world, to CHAPS over a few hundred grand? And this way its free, so seems to be the best option?

The safety of the Nationwide, allows you to keep the account open while not having a UK address, and you can send up to 3 million in one day by £10k online transfers to another account in the UK? Ummm. seems to be the way hey?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:37 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/internet...AQs.htm#Link04

Step Two - Making the bill payment

Locate the arrangement you wish to make a payment to from the drop-down list in the 'Pay Bill/Transfer Money' tab.
Enter the amount you wish to pay and the date you wish the payment to be made.
Click on 'Next'. Your details will be displayed for you to confirm.

Please allow up to three working days for the payment to reach its destination after the payment has left your FlexAccount.

You can pay up to 99 different organisations regularly, for example; gas and electricity bills, credit cards, store cards and other financial organisations. Please note, the maximum bill payment that can be made is £10,000. If you wish to pay larger amounts, simply repeat as necessary.
You can make as many immediate bill payment requests as you wish for each payee. When you make an immediate payment, this will show on your Mini Statement online as soon as you have sent the request.

You can only set up one future dated bill payment per payee at a time. If you set up a future dated payment and an immediate payment to the same payee, on the same day, then both payments will debit your account (assuming that there are sufficient cleared funds).

If you set up more than one future dated payment or additional immediate payments to the same payee when a future dated bill payment is pending, only your last request will be processed. If you attempt to amend the amount or make a further request on the day the existing future dated payment is due to be processed, both payments will be made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.