Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Insurance while in oz - help needed

National Insurance while in oz - help needed

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice
Smile National Insurance while in oz - help needed

We are going to Brisbane in November (if the visa ever comes:curse and I dont know what to do about NI in the uk. Do we still have to make contributions. Would hate to come back (not that we are planning to) and be told that we have to pay a shortfall. How doesit work. Any help appreciated as I dont understand AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Insurance while in oz - help needed

Originally Posted by sprug
We are going to Brisbane in November (if the visa ever comes:curse and I dont know what to do about NI in the uk. Do we still have to make contributions. Would hate to come back (not that we are planning to) and be told that we have to pay a shortfall. How doesit work. Any help appreciated as I dont understand AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You can still carry on paying your NI contributions whilst overseas, costs something like £7 a week, but check with the NI office as you may be able to pay less if you are self-employed.

K
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

as I understand it, you have 6 years in which to make the decision to make up any shortfall in contributions. (ie if you were away 5 years, you could just pay 5 years worth!).

Mr P and I pay voluntary conts which are about 2 quid a week- classed as self employed as we are both employees here in Oz. Yep sounds odd but that's what UK govt tell us.

There are some changes afoot which may mean to get full UK pension you only have to pay 33 years of conts rather than 44 to get full pension, but this is still to go before Parliament.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:21 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

I was told if you keep up the payments, you would be entitled to half the state pension.

I might be wrong here, but the OZZY pension is means tested! So you would get less ozzy pension depending on other sources of revenue.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:15 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
as I understand it, you have 6 years in which to make the decision to make up any shortfall in contributions. (ie if you were away 5 years, you could just pay 5 years worth!).

Mr P and I pay voluntary conts which are about 2 quid a week- classed as self employed as we are both employees here in Oz. Yep sounds odd but that's what UK govt tell us.

There are some changes afoot which may mean to get full UK pension you only have to pay 33 years of conts rather than 44 to get full pension, but this is still to go before Parliament.
The changes are now law. You only have to pay 30 years contributions to qualify for a full pension. However, you have to work till you are 68 to claim it. If you look at the government pension website it explains it.

Provided you can prove you are in fulltime employment you can now get away with paying case 2 contributions which are much lower. We had been paying class 3 for years but the rules were changed and it was decided not to notify everyone who was paying class 3 that they could pay a lower rate but the ministry put a notice in the English papers - that meant that people overseas who are the majority paying class 3 wouldn't see or know about being able to pay less - they really are something else.:curse:
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:16 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi

You can still carry on paying your NI contributions whilst overseas, costs something like £7 a week, but check with the NI office as you may be able to pay less if you are self-employed.

K
You don't have to be self-employed to pay class 2 contributions.