Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

national insurance contributions

national insurance contributions

Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice
Question national insurance contributions

Hi,
Just a thought, what happens to our national insurance contributions that we have paid all these years? Can we still pull a pension over in Aus?
Do we just lose out on what we've paid? What have all you folks done?
Of course by the time we are 65 I guess the national pension will be no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??
I still have four private/ frozen pensions from past jobs but just wondered where we stand with the Gov. one.
What do most of you do with your personal pensions, take them? or leave them here??
Thanks for any suggestions,
J and J
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: national insurance contributions

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Hi,
Just a thought, what happens to our national insurance contributions that we have paid all these years? Can we still pull a pension over in Aus?
Of course by the time we are 65 I guess the national pension will be no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??
I still have four private/ frozen pensions from past jobs but just wondered where we stand with the Gov. one.
What do most of you do with your personal pensions, take them? or leave them here??
J and J
Get some professional advice.

There are lots of tax implications for any investments left in the UK.

G
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Do we just lose out on what we've paid?
Under current law, you may be able to claim a UK pension in time based on your UK contributions. It will not be indexed annually in line with inflation.

As there is now no longer a UK-Australia social security agreement,you get no credit in Australia for your UK contributions. HOWEVER, you can still qualify for an Australian age pension after 10 years residence - but the age pension is means-tested (unlike UK).

Best advice depends on circumstances.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Under current law, you may be able to claim a UK pension in time based on your UK contributions. It will not be indexed annually in line with inflation.

As there is now no longer a UK-Australia social security agreement,you get no credit in Australia for your UK contributions. HOWEVER, you can still qualify for an Australian age pension after 10 years residence - but the age pension is means-tested (unlike UK).

Best advice depends on circumstances.
Thanks to you both for that. Just wanted to tie everything up appropriately.
When you've worked since leaving school, mostly full time, there must be a fair bit of money in the fund! Will try and get some professional advice on the private pensions, Best Wishes, Jackie and Justin
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:16 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Thanks to you both for that. Just wanted to tie everything up appropriately.
When you've worked since leaving school, mostly full time, there must be a fair bit of money in the fund! Will try and get some professional advice on the private pensions, Best Wishes, Jackie and Justin
Dont pay out wasted money to get 'professional advice' when all you need to do is look on the N.I / Pensions website.
I recently asked for an assessment and found that at 40 years of age I only have to pay voluntary contributions for another 13 years to get full pension at retirement. But bare in mind, this income then will be the incom you are means tested against for an Australian pension should you qualify for one at retirement - may turn out you get one or the other.
Id suggest you try this route. Theres no way Im going to walk away from all those hard earned £'s Ive paid in and not get anything back!

Good Luck!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianej
Dont pay out wasted money to get 'professional advice' when all you need to do is look on the N.I / Pensions website.
I recently asked for an assessment and found that at 40 years of age I only have to pay voluntary contributions for another 13 years to get full pension at retirement. But bare in mind, this income then will be the incom you are means tested against for an Australian pension should you qualify for one at retirement - may turn out you get one or the other.
Id suggest you try this route. Theres no way Im going to walk away from all those hard earned £'s Ive paid in and not get anything back!

Good Luck!
The professional advice is for the personal pensions....these are too valuable to mess up
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
J and J
HI THERE
MY HUSBAND AND I REQUESTED PENSION FORECASTS THROUGH FROM HM REVENUE & CUSTOMS......GREAT INDICATOR WHERE YOU ARE AT. AT THE MOMENT YOU NEED TO HAVE 44/39 YEARS OF PAID IN N.I CONTRIBUTIONS HOWEVER SEPT 07 THEY ARE HOPING TO PASS A LAW
TO REDUCE THIS TO 30 YRS FOR BOTH MEN AND WOMEN (CURRENTLY IT IS 39 FOR WOMEN AND 44 FOR MEN). THEY WILL KNOW THIS SUMMER THE OUTCOME
SO IT WILL DEPEND HOW MUCH YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID IN HOW LONG YOU THINK YOU MAY BE OUT THERE AS TO WHETHER YOU STILL NEED TO CONTRIBUTE WHILST IN OZ. ADVISOR I SPOKE TO SAID IN OUR ABSENCE WE COULD CONTRIBUTE VIA NI CONTRIBUTIONS CLASS 2 ( DONT QUOTE ME BUT THINK IT WAS £2.20 A WK) RATHER THAN 1. THE WEBSITE IS GOOD OTHERWISE GIVE THEM A CALL THEY SENT ME SOME WORTHWHILE LEAFLETS.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by obogk
HI THERE
MY HUSBAND AND I REQUESTED PENSION FORECASTS THROUGH FROM HM REVENUE & CUSTOMS......GREAT INDICATOR WHERE YOU ARE AT. AT THE MOMENT YOU NEED TO HAVE 44/39 YEARS OF PAID IN N.I CONTRIBUTIONS HOWEVER SEPT 07 THEY ARE HOPING TO PASS A LAW
TO REDUCE THIS TO 30 YRS FOR BOTH MEN AND WOMEN (CURRENTLY IT IS 39 FOR WOMEN AND 44 FOR MEN). THEY WILL KNOW THIS SUMMER THE OUTCOME
SO IT WILL DEPEND HOW MUCH YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID IN HOW LONG YOU THINK YOU MAY BE OUT THERE AS TO WHETHER YOU STILL NEED TO CONTRIBUTE WHILST IN OZ. ADVISOR I SPOKE TO SAID IN OUR ABSENCE WE COULD CONTRIBUTE VIA NI CONTRIBUTIONS CLASS 2 ( DONT QUOTE ME BUT THINK IT WAS £2.20 A WK) RATHER THAN 1. THE WEBSITE IS GOOD OTHERWISE GIVE THEM A CALL THEY SENT ME SOME WORTHWHILE LEAFLETS.
Thanks for that, good advice. Still havent got my head around pension yet, All the Best J and j