Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Contributions

National Insurance Contributions

Old May 3rd 2004, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default National Insurance Contributions

I just recalled something I heard when working away in Singapore, and I never did anything about it.

When living away from the UK apparently you need to make some sort of payment of NI contribution each year to retain your entitlements to social security, pension etc should you return. Can anybody out there add something factual about this, as I'd like to put this in order if I need to.
Old May 3rd 2004, 5:28 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: National Insurance Contributions

Originally posted by RichS
I just recalled something I heard when working away in Singapore, and I never did anything about it.

When living away from the UK apparently you need to make some sort of payment of NI contribution each year to retain your entitlements to social security, pension etc should you return. Can anybody out there add something factual about this, as I'd like to put this in order if I need to.
See the other NI thread on this page!

It really only applies to pension because when you move back to the UK you will immediately be entitled to most of the other benefits like healthcare etc.

Pension is a different subject. First, you need to pay contributions for a minimum number of years, otherwise you will get nothing. From memory, for men this is around 15 years.

FOR THIS REASON ALONE, MIGRANTS WITH A NUMBER OF YEARS' NI CONTRIBUTIONS SOMEWHAT SHORT OF 15 YEARS (SAY, 8-14 YEARS) SHOULD ALMOST DEFINITELY THINK POSITIVELY OF MAKING VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS WHILST IN AUS/ NZ TO CROSS THE MINIMUM THRESHOLD.

Sorry for shouting but it's important.

Secondly, extra contributions does mean extra pension and it's a very effective way of saving provided you're going to live on a fair bit (and draw pension) past retirement age.
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

baloo is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread has a lot of the relevant info. Also see the links I posted that should help.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=222360
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

baloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
It really only applies to pension because when you move back to the UK you will immediately be entitled to most of the other benefits like healthcare etc.
Not strictly true, as some of the benefits do require a minimum period of residence again before one is entitled to them (or in the case of healthcare, that one be in employment at the least if minimum residence periods are not yet met). But you're quite right that the voluntary contributions only relate to pension benefits.
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try my question again. OZ pension, supposing you spend majority of working life in OZ, then retire to UK, you wont have much UK pension contributions but I have read OZ pension is not payable to people who move back to the UK. This is not a question of private super but the Government pension. Will it get paid to Poms moving back to UK in retirement after paying in for years in OZ. Ive been told NO. Hope I am wrong.