Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Cont.What did you decide?

National Insurance Cont.What did you decide?

Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: National Insurance Cont.What did you decide?

"you would need to be living in the UK to claim it."

I thought the opposite was the case as i know that many are paying their N.I. from aus so that they get something but they are not planning to move back to the u.k.
Lynn
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
"you would need to be living in the UK to claim it."

I thought the opposite was the case as i know that many are paying their N.I. from aus so that they get something but they are not planning to move back to the u.k.
Lynn
I think he is referring to the possibility that the rules may have changed by the time he retires.

Some people feel that the UK state pension will become more like others, means tested etc, and with other tests to see if they can avoid paying it out, as they already have begun to recently, in a small way with UK pensioners living in Australia.

Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:00 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CreditCardKing
Its unlikely that the UK state pension will be around in 35 years when I retire, however if it was then the amounts that I would pay into it would be far less than what I would gain from the state pension. Excluding increase for inflation on both the pension and the contributions if I paid around £400 per year national insurance for another 35 years totalling £14,000. If I received the state pension of around £4000 per year for 20 years then I would earn £80,000, this is considerably more than £14,000 paid in. I will not bother as the UK state pension in the future will likely have the same rules as the Australian pension it will be means tested and you would need to be living in the UK to claim it.
CCK - taking into account inflation, and say a depreciation rate of 6% in total, using the NPV calculation with the same figures as you have used (ie 35 years of £400, followed by 20 years of £4000) we reckoned we would be around £600 better off in today's money.

We are living abroad now, and came to the conclusion that our £400/year would be better off invested in our own plan, and we actually try to save about 20% of our annual income in any event. And let's face it, in 35 years time there may well be no state pension anyway.
Ok, so if we go back to the UK we wouldnt get benefit support etc, but we would (as residents) get NHS treatment.
Pros & cons - but for us, in our situation, we didnt think it worthwhile.
However.... I think this feeling changes with age. If you're in your 50s it may well be worthwhile.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Some people feel that the UK state pension will become more like others, means tested etc, and with other tests to see if they can avoid paying it out, as they already have begun to recently, in a small way with UK pensioners living in Australia.

Could you elaborate a little on this,not sure if i fully understand...
Lynn
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:53 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
We decided to keep our national insurance up as well for the same reasons also mentioned and for people who think they may return to UK for good in future it makes it slightly easier to return and restart things I heard at a future date. Also, under the impression that if you keep it up you still have some sort of right to NHS care as well in the UK if you were there without the Aus UK reciprocale deal.
I would have thought as a British Citizen you would always have the right to NHS Healthcare (While it lasts). Be a bit pee'd off if I was in uk and couldnt get it for free - while every dole scrounging scum and his dog seem to get it without ever paying a dime into the system
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
CCK - taking into account inflation, and say a depreciation rate of 6% in total, using the NPV calculation with the same figures as you have used (ie 35 years of £400, followed by 20 years of £4000) we reckoned we would be around £600 better off in today's money.

We are living abroad now, and came to the conclusion that our £400/year would be better off invested in our own plan, and we actually try to save about 20% of our annual income in any event. And let's face it, in 35 years time there may well be no state pension anyway.
Ok, so if we go back to the UK we wouldnt get benefit support etc, but we would (as residents) get NHS treatment.
Pros & cons - but for us, in our situation, we didnt think it worthwhile.
However.... I think this feeling changes with age. If you're in your 50s it may well be worthwhile.
If you did ever decide to go back to the UK when you were 60 or over you would not receive the full state pension however if you were hard up you would receive income support with the minimum income guarantee, currently £109 per week, exactly the same as the state pension with the top up. If you had two different people one who paid national insurance for over 40 years and the other who paid no national insurance, assuming they both had very little savings then they would both receive exactly the same money each week of £109. Hardly seems worth paying NI. They would both have their rent and council tax paid by the council also.

Last edited by CreditCardKing; Jan 30th 2006 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
I would have thought as a British Citizen you would always have the right to NHS Healthcare (While it lasts). Be a bit pee'd off if I was in uk and couldnt get it for free - while every dole scrounging scum and his dog seem to get it without ever paying a dime into the system

It seems that you do not always have access to free NHS, however its up to you to inform them that you are not eligble for free treatment and that you must pay, only a fool or someone with lodsa money would do this though.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...Visitors/fs/en