Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National insurance!

National insurance!

Old May 14th 2007, 11:12 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National insurance!

Originally Posted by esperanza
does anyone know has the UK govt ever offered any kind of guarantee regarding this?
Guarantee????
Old May 15th 2007, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Guarantee????
I know, but it was worth an ask!
(It was very early when I wrote that, ok, I wasn't properly awake... )
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:50 am
apb
Just Joined

apb is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it is worth, I also keep paying Class 2 NI. I agree there is no guarantee that there will still be a state pension in 25+ years time. On the other hand, I cant see how in practice a government could change the rules. The most likely thing to happen would be a date set beyond which no further NI payments would count for pension purposes. Any contributions made before then would be locked in and be treated as they are currently.

If any political party suddenly told everybody under 50, or 40, or whatever -- sorry folks, you've been thinking you've been saving for your state pension this last N years, wrong -- can you imagine the fallout? They would lose millions of votes and be in the wilderness of opposition for who knows how long. Frankly, I just cannot see the state pension disappearing overnight.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by apb
For what it is worth, I also keep paying Class 2 NI. I agree there is no guarantee that there will still be a state pension in 25+ years time. On the other hand, I cant see how in practice a government could change the rules. The most likely thing to happen would be a date set beyond which no further NI payments would count for pension purposes. Any contributions made before then would be locked in and be treated as they are currently.

If any political party suddenly told everybody under 50, or 40, or whatever -- sorry folks, you've been thinking you've been saving for your state pension this last N years, wrong -- can you imagine the fallout? They would lose millions of votes and be in the wilderness of opposition for who knows how long. Frankly, I just cannot see the state pension disappearing overnight.
Unlikely that it will be abolished however they will likely change the rules to a similar pension to Australia which is means tested and requires you to be living in the country to claim it.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't it the case that once your in Australia that your UK state pension isn't increased in line with inflation so it will therefore depreciate in real terms each year? If this is the case and you're planning on staying in Oz long term then to me super is probably a much better bet than carrying on paying UK NI.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:18 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nomore
My mum works for the Inland Revenue and she said all the funds paid into the NI contributions now is being eaten away by all the oldies in the UK now, by the time we get to the age of retirement (if your 30 now) there will be none left for us. The government is always talking about abolishing the NI as the forcast is grim.
Therfore when i left the UK i paid nothing to the NI...investment in OZ is wise.
Excuse me for asking but I thought all young people were told approx 7 years ago that they would not be eligable of a state pension if they were born after a certain date and that they would have to make their own arrangements for their old age and pensions.

Both my son & daughter pay into private pensions for that very reason. Our daughter who lives overseas was asked if she wanted to continue paying and when she asked for what reason since she wouldn't eligiable for a pension or health benefits they couldn't think of any.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

i have asked the question, i got a pension forcast.i have paid in 24 yrs. at the moment you need 44 yrs to get ful entitlement.they told that will be coming down to 30 yrs soon. which leaves me 6 yrs to get the full wack.i will have to pay £7.50 a week for the 6 yrs. she also said if you have earned more than 5k this year you wil have covered this yrs payments.

hope this helps

tony
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by yanH
Isn't it the case that once your in Australia that your UK state pension isn't increased in line with inflation so it will therefore depreciate in real terms each year? If this is the case and you're planning on staying in Oz long term then to me super is probably a much better bet than carrying on paying UK NI.
Yes and No. When it pays out in 10, 12, 15 years time or whenever then you will get the same amount as every other pensioner in the UK gets. Then after that it isn't increased in line with inflation.