Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Insurance

National Insurance

Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough
Default National Insurance

HI guys,

Can anyone tell me what form you use to keep paying National Insurance contributions? We are leaving in 3.5 weeks time but want to keep paying it once we move.

Thanks
Susan
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: National Insurance

Originally Posted by sooz&abby
HI guys,

Can anyone tell me what form you use to keep paying National Insurance contributions? We are leaving in 3.5 weeks time but want to keep paying it once we move.

Thanks
Susan
Hi Susan,

I picked up a booklet in my tax office yesterday titled 'Paying tax and national insurance contributions electronically'....IR2010.
Hope this is of help.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough
Default Re: National Insurance

HI guys,

Thanks
Susan
The National Insurance Dept for the whole of the UK is in Newcastle, it may be just around the corner from you. You should ask them for a pension Forcast to see if its worth your while paying extra contributions. I am 3 years behind but I only need to make this payment by 2010 to still qualify for a full pension.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough

thats a great help - thankyou!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:30 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

HI guys,

Thanks
Susan
Hi,

Sorry for being daft but if you continue to pay NI contributions does this mean that you keep topping up pension entitlements?

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Country Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the rough

Yes it does.

When I was working abroad, I paid for class 3 voluntary stamps by DD. They only cost £8/mth. I know some have harked on about the state pension not being worth very much in 20/30 yrs time, if indeed there will be such a thing, but for £8/mth I thought it wasn't going to burn a hole in the pocket.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:13 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi,

Sorry for being daft but if you continue to pay NI contributions does this mean that you keep topping up pension entitlements?

Cheers
Yes, that's exactly what it means. However, there are a few things to bear in mind:
1. To get the full basic state pension, you need to have paid NI contributions (or have NI credits) for 40 years. If you haven't got 40 years worth of contributions/credits, you get a reduced state pension.
2. The basic state pension isn't much. At the moment it's about £80 per week.
3. By the time you retire, the government of the day may have decided to abolish the state pension - in which case you would get nothing.

Upshot: you may be better off putting the money in a savings account.

Gina
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Yes, that's exactly what it means. However, there are a few things to bear in mind:
1. To get the full basic state pension, you need to have paid NI contributions (or have NI credits) for 40 years. If you haven't got 40 years worth of contributions/credits, you get a reduced state pension.
2. The basic state pension isn't much. At the moment it's about £80 per week.
3. By the time you retire, the government of the day may have decided to abolish the state pension - in which case you would get nothing.

Upshot: you may be better off putting the money in a savings account.

Gina
And UK state pensions are not indexed if you live in a number of countries, including Australia and NZ.

Jeremy