Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National ID Cards in Oz? What's your view?

National ID Cards in Oz? What's your view?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default National ID Cards in Oz? What's your view?

I saw in a recent survey (sample of 1200 people!) on News.com.au that 60% of Australians want to see National ID cards introduced.

I have to say that while I'm under no illusion that ID cards won't happen in most countries in the future; I am totally against this idea and had previously been pleased to read that the Australians had successfully fought against the introduction of such a card in the 1980's.

When I heard that the UK Government were planning on introducing these in the, it made me even more determined to escape this place.

What do people on this forum think of ID cards?

sandy.l
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: National ID Cards in Oz? What's your view?

Originally posted by Sandy.l
I saw in a recent survey (sample of 1200 people!) on News.com.au that 60% of Australians want to see National ID cards introduced.

I have to say that while I'm under no illusion that ID cards won't happen in most countries in the future; I am totally against this idea and had previously been pleased to read that the Australians had successfully fought against the introduction of such a card in the 1980's.

When I heard that the UK Government were planning on introducing these in the, it made me even more determined to escape this place.

What do people on this forum think of ID cards?

sandy.l
I am interested in knowing what the problem is with National ID cards ? as I havent really seen the arguments against against them.

The current discussion with them in OZ has occured following the idea of putting each persons medical info on the medicare card, turning it into a defacto ID card. But then again it already is !
banks etc use it as a means of Identification.

I'm not sure what other info would be included on an ID card.

Based on the 'limited" info that I have seen, it appears a good idea, unless a person wants to hide from the authorities.

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

My personal problem with them is that me and my family have been affected by 2 separate instances of 'accidental' data leakage from Government agencies.

The first one forced us into moving away from our home the second one is still under investigation.

sandy.l
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:37 pm
WBB

My personal problem with them is that me and my family have been affected by 2 separate instances of 'accidental' data leakage from Government agencies.

The first one forced us into moving away from our home the second one is still under investigation.

sandy.l
leakage?

how did that force you to move?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

sandy.l
Hi Sandy
I think that type of thing will happen, with ir without ID cards.

The governments already have all the info on us, I feel that a card just means that we can be identified easier.

Although depending on just what info is kept on the card, does pose a question.
How easy would it be for anyone to swipe the card and get that info off it ?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by welshboybilly
leakage?

how did that force you to move?
Our kids are adopted. The department in question issued sensitive documents to the birth family that held all our personal details, names, addresses, family details, the lot. We had to move for the kids safety due to problems in their past. The agency in question fought us for three years before they even apologised. Thankfully we got things sorted with a great deal of help from the Ombudsman.

The bottom line is that an individual has the basic right to anonymity. That does not mean that if that individual commits a crime he shouldn't be identified and punished. However, the identifiable powers that be can already access enough information to apprehend criminals. What we are talking about here is giving Government Services the ability to assess whether you are where you should be at any given time. In reality, that information, or the lack of access to that information, gives us anonymity. There will come a time when that information will be available to commercial enterprises. At that point they can decide whether they can allow you to enter their premises, purchase their goods, and scarily enough decide whether you are going to receive a service. Based on your credit history, as well as your demographic background, services will or will not be provided to you. Can you get in the Mall? If you are from the wrong part of town, your demographic information pigeonholes you into a particular type (check out UpMyStreet.com) and therefore you may not be suitable clientele for the Mall in question.

At the very worst, this polarizes society even more so in to the haves and have nots. Is this what you want?

sandy (and hubby this time!)
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 2:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving licenses are a form of involuntary ID anyway. I guess the choice is to drive or not.

A lot of the UK opposition to ID cards is from the older generation who lived around the war time and had to carry IDs and were frequently harrased by police to produce ID. It would be interesting to hear from a police officer how much they think an ID card would make their life easier.

The other objection to the card is the cost. Money that should be spent on schools or hospitals.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think ID cards were a bad thing but over the last few years have changed my mind.

They would make it easier to control the flood of illegal immigrants that have desended on the UK. And lets face it how many people have decided to leave their homeland because of immigration into the UK.

If its needed in OZ for the same reason then I'd be in favour of it.

Keel
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:50 am

Originally posted by keel
I used to think ID cards were a bad thing but over the last few years have changed my mind.

They would make it easier to control the flood of illegal immigrants that have desended on the UK. And lets face it how many people have decided to leave their homeland because of immigration into the UK.

If its needed in OZ for the same reason then I'd be in favour of it.

Keel
People leave the UK because they think they are going to better their lives. Same reason why the UK has illegal immigrants. France has ID cards and illegal immigrants.

To stop illegal immigration the countries of origin of the immigrant needs to be sorted otherwise the problem will carry on.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
France has ID cards and illegal immigrants.
Yes, but at least you know where they are !!

Queuing up at the channel tunnel, trying to get through

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:13 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, but at least you know where they are !!

Queuing up at the channel tunnel, trying to get through
Maybe if the British ate more garlic and were ruder the immos would be hopping back on the Eurostar to France.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:30 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think if the cards themselves were useful in everyday life they'd be worth carrying. Just another piece of plastic with my photo on is no use to me but if it was a driving licence, medicare card and travel document (eg aus/nz) all rolled into one I'd carry it. I mean why not? If it gets rid of wallet clutter and is secure one card is better than 2 or 3. It's mandatory to carry driving licences around if you drive here, people are used to the idea of having to cart stuff around with them.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Bob the Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

ID cards will only work if the police are given the power to stop and ask for them. If you havnt got it then you would be liable to a trip to the station.
Also they would only if the police where given the power to ask for them on the basis of race( as if the liberty groups would allow that). Otherwise what would be the point as about 95% of them are not european.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 7:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Bob the Builder
ID cards will only work if the police are given the power to stop and ask for them. If you havnt got it then you would be liable to a trip to the station.
Also they would only if the police where given the power to ask for them on the basis of race( as if the liberty groups would allow that). Otherwise what would be the point as about 95% of them are not european.
95% of who, are not European ?

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Bob the Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

"95% of who, are not European ?"

Asylum seekers and other rifraf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.