Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

nat ins and pensions etc when u go

nat ins and pensions etc when u go

Old Aug 29th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

peterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to all
Default nat ins and pensions etc when u go

before i get in touch with local tax office thought i would ask you friendly lot first,what happens to all my tax and nat insurance contributions when we emigrate,were thinking if we go and stay in oz do we just lose our pension rights when we retire,do we have to inform them were going at all??,we haven't set up a private pension we were going to go down the property route hopefully,any info ??
Old Aug 29th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nat ins and pensions etc when u go

Originally Posted by peterpamnryan
before i get in touch with local tax office thought i would ask you friendly lot first,what happens to all my tax and nat insurance contributions when we emigrate,were thinking if we go and stay in oz do we just lose our pension rights when we retire,do we have to inform them were going at all??,we haven't set up a private pension we were going to go down the property route hopefully,any info ??
when you leave the UK you should complete a form P85 which will enable you to claim a refund of income tax in respect of your unused personal allowance for that tax year-see here .
you can claim your pension when you retire in Aus-not sure how you do it tho-you don't lose your entitlement.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

peterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
when you leave the UK you should complete a form P85 which will enable you to claim a refund of income tax in respect of your unused personal allowance for that tax year-see here .
you can claim your pension when you retire in Aus-not sure how you do it tho-you don't lose your entitlement.
thankyou so much,i will at least be armed with some knowledge when i go to tax office,ta
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Country Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the rough

thankyou so much,i will at least be armed with some knowledge when i go to tax office,ta
Don't forget, if you want a full UK state pension (for what it will be worth when you retire) you should start paying voluntary Class 3 NI contributions when you leave the UK. Not sure how much that is per week, but only you can decide the merits in paying this.

Also bear in mind the new pension reforms that may be coming into effect soon which will shrink the No. of years you have to pay NI contributions to claim a state pension (I *think* it's currently 45 yrs for a male). This will depend on your age..
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

When you reach retirement age in Australia, don't worry as they will ensure that you claim any UK state pension to which you are entitled to. They will then adjust your Australian state pension accordingly. My mother has lived in Australia for 42 years and receives a pension from both countries (the amount is even adjusted each month with relation to the exchange rate!)

As others have said, you can lodge a tax claim for the current years tax rebate.

Julie
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Macquarie
When you reach retirement age in Australia, don't worry as they will ensure that you claim any UK state pension to which you are entitled to. They will then adjust your Australian state pension accordingly. My mother has lived in Australia for 42 years and receives a pension from both countries (the amount is even adjusted each month with relation to the exchange rate!)

As others have said, you can lodge a tax claim for the current years tax rebate.

Julie
thankyou for the info,its put both our minds at rest,will make the trip to tax office a bit more pleasant
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Country Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the rough

thankyou for the info,its put both our minds at rest,will make the trip to tax office a bit more pleasant
Here's a link to state pension reforms:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5301710.stm

CB