Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Name this plant one for the gardeners???

Name this plant one for the gardeners???

Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:26 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name this plant one for the gardeners???

OK this fastish growing plant has appeared next to our pool, it looks nice and green but I'm not sure if it's a weed, a bush or soon to be a tree. It's about 18 inches already after only a few weeks.

Anyone any good at plant identification?

See attached photos.

It has a waxy green leaf with 6 leaves tipping each little branch bit.
Attached Thumbnails Name this plant one for the gardeners???-what-.jpg   Name this plant one for the gardeners???-what-close-up.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name this plant one for the gardeners???

Can't help you with what it is but as it has just appeared I'd suggest it has germinated from a seed which a bird had dropped. I pull similar things out of my yard all the time and as it is near your pool I would get rid of it as it might grow huge and cause damage.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Can't help you with what it is but as it has just appeared I'd suggest it has germinated from a seed which a bird had dropped. I pull similar things out of my yard all the time and as it is near your pool I would get rid of it as it might grow huge and cause damage.
Thanks for the advice.
Was thinking of moving it if it was worth saving but want to know should I be saving it first, so that remains the problem.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like an emergent Blackbean:

>> Common name Black bean Botanical name Castanospermum australe Other common names Moreton Bay chestnut Family Fabaceae General description A native species that grows to 10m when planted as a garden ornamental or up to 40m in a natural rain forest setting. Flowers The flowers are large, orange and red, pea-flower shaped, clustered on older branches. Leaves The leaves consist of 7–17 large leaflets alternating on the rachis. Leaflets are 9–15cm long and 3–5cm wide, dark green, and asymmetric at the base. Fruit/Berries The fruit are large, heavy, rounded pods, usually 12–18cm long and 4–6cm wide; containing 3–5 large, dark brown seeds about 3cm in diameter. Other The sap is clear. Symptoms If eaten, the seeds can cause severe diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain and dizziness. The sawdust can cause dermatitis, eczema and nasal irritation. Toxicity category 2, 3, 4 Warning Seek urgent medical attention for all ingestions.<<

Last edited by Wol; Mar 24th 2007 at 7:00 am.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Is it not mint Ann??
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:16 am

Not convineced yet these leaves tend to sit on the end of the stem like a star shape at right angles from end of stem. Not going along it.

Originally Posted by Wol
Looks like an emergent Blackbean:

>> Common name Black bean Botanical name Castanospermum australe Other common names Moreton Bay chestnut Family Fabaceae General description A native species that grows to 10m when planted as a garden ornamental or up to 40m in a natural rain forest setting. Flowers The flowers are large, orange and red, pea-flower shaped, clustered on older branches. Leaves The leaves consist of 7–17 large leaflets alternating on the rachis. Leaflets are 9–15cm long and 3–5cm wide, dark green, and asymmetric at the base. Fruit/Berries The fruit are large, heavy, rounded pods, usually 12–18cm long and 4–6cm wide; containing 3–5 large, dark brown seeds about 3cm in diameter. Other The sap is clear. Symptoms If eaten, the seeds can cause severe diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain and dizziness. The sawdust can cause dermatitis, eczema and nasal irritation. Toxicity category 2, 3, 4 Warning Seek urgent medical attention for all ingestions.<<
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:50 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by annqldau
OK this fastish growing plant has appeared next to our pool, it looks nice and green but I'm not sure if it's a weed, a bush or soon to be a tree. It's about 18 inches already after only a few weeks.

Anyone any good at plant identification?

See attached photos.

It has a waxy green leaf with 6 leaves tipping each little branch bit.
I could be wrong, but it looks a lot like an umbrella tree. Seeing as you are in QLD I would move it as they do get big up there. Suzette
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:08 am

Question Re: Name this plant one for the gardeners???

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
I could be wrong, but it looks a lot like an umbrella tree. Seeing as you are in QLD I would move it as they do get big up there. Suzette
I think you've won...

looks very like it and also my next door neighbour has one for def about an acre away as it has the red spikey things on at the moment.

Unfortunately it can be classed as a weed so will need to take it out.
http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/pests/weed...ella_tree.html

Thanks...anyone else got any they need named?
Plus, does anyone know can you get Russian Vines in Aus or is it too hot for them?
I'm going to try and plant a Wisteria at some point how have people gone with them?