name change

Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:25 am
Just Joined

maxbarrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default name change

HI I wonder if anyone can help!

My mother changed my surname when I was 8 when she remarried. So my birth cert is in birthname and passport is in another.
She has no formal documents to this fact. I have been known by this name for 20 years, and whenever a passport was needed I sent a letter and a copy of my mothers marriage certificate and that was fine, but I am a little worried about a visa app, as I guess they maybe more strict.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: name change

Originally posted by maxbarrow
HI I wonder if anyone can help!

My mother changed my surname when I was 8 when she remarried. So my birth cert is in birthname and passport is in another.
She has no formal documents to this fact. I have been known by this name for 20 years, and whenever a passport was needed I sent a letter and a copy of my mothers marriage certificate and that was fine, but I am a little worried about a visa app, as I guess they maybe more strict.

Any ideas?

She must ahve registered your new name, you can easily get a copy of the entry.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:49 am
Just Joined

unfortunately she didnt, as she was told at the time there was no need as I was a minor
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

unfortunately she didnt, as she was told at the time there was no need as I was a minor

Now I am confused. How can you legally change your name without doing it via the registrar. I have heard of `known as` names , but then you wouldnt have been able to obtain a passport.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Well a marriage certificate and a letter explaining the situation was all that was need at the passport office. I suppose I better see a lawyer and get it sorted once and for all
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:14 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Well a marriage certificate and a letter explaining the situation was all that was need at the passport office. I suppose I better see a lawyer and get it sorted once and for all
Just do a name change at a solicitor's - it's a piece of cake.

Mrs DUP and I did it when we got married. She didn't see any need to give up her name, so we joined our names, and became double-barrelled. (And don't go looking up Steve Double-Barrelled in the Sydney phone book - I'm not there!)

P.S. make sure you get a couple of certified copies of the deed poll - very useful for sending off, coz you've always got the original safe, then.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:26 am
Just Joined

cool , yeah I will book an appointment today

ta
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:34 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Mrs DUP and I did it when we got married. She didn't see any need to give up her name, so we joined our names, and became double-barrelled. (And don't go looking up Steve Double-Barrelled in the Sydney phone book - I'm not there!)
What? you were called Mr Downun and she was Miss Derpom?

How bloody lucky was that

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:30 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

my mother remarried when I was 10 and I changed my name to my stepfathers when I was about 12 yrs old. I did this by 'use' only. I got around this by doing a sworn statement stating that fact and it was fine

Sworn statement.

I, *********, of, *************** declare that:

I was born ********, my mother*****divorced my ********and remarried in ******.

Her new husband was called ***********.

I subsequently changed my surname to ***** in ****, by use only.

I used the surname ***** until I married ******on ********..

Signed………………⠀¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â� ��¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â� �¦.

Sworn at ******solicitors, **************on this day of 2002

Before me………………â€� �………………… …………………� �€¦â€¦Signed

Name …………………� �€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â €¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â� ��¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦

hope this helps
good luck
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you that is most helpful!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:08 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

My mum also remarried and I took new name. Mine was done by deed poll so very surprised that your mum didn't do the same. Easy to get so like others have said pop to solicitor and arrange official name change.

Sarah
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:34 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by DagBoy
What? you were called Mr Downun and she was Miss Derpom?

How bloody lucky was that

Usually the woman's name goes first. In our case it would have given us a name which could have degenerated into something less attractive, so we put my name first. I now sometimes get called Mr (Mrs DUP's maiden name), and have to correct them. There's a lot of thick people out there, especially when you're dealing with banks!!!

And no, I'm not telling you what our surname is, now!