Naan Bread

Old Apr 1st 2004, 2:38 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Naan Bread

The lack of a decent supermarket naan bread has been much discussed on here before. Just to let you know that (for the first time in my 15 months here) I found some Pataks naan bread in my local Coles just yesterday. Wasn't the garlic and coriander as picturred here, just plain, but can't wait to try it
Attached Thumbnails Naan Bread-naan.jpg  
Old Apr 1st 2004, 3:27 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Naan Bread

Originally posted by jayr
The lack of a decent supermarket naan bread has been much discussed on here before. Just to let you know that (for the first time in my 15 months here) I found some Pataks naan bread in my local Coles just yesterday. Wasn't the garlic and coriander as picturred here, just plain, but can't wait to try it
Fresh turkish is a good alternative.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 3:30 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Fresh turkish is a good alternative.

Agreed, so is Pitta.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 3:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Found this recipe on the beeb (haven't got a clue what it tastes like - but the picture looks nice) [put in naan bread in google and you'll get heaps of different recipes

Those "long life" packet naans always taste horrible to me.. too "yeasty" and heavy.

Ingredients
¼ pint (150ml) hand hot semi-skimmed milk
2 teaspoons castor sugar
2 teaspoons dried active yeast
1 lb (450g) plain flour
Pinch of low sodium salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus a little extra
5 fl. Oz (150ml) plain yoghurt, lightly beaten
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Method
1. Put the milk in a bowl, add one teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast, stir to mix. Set aside for 15-20 minutes or until the yeast has dissolved and the mixture is frothy.
2. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl, add the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, the yeast mixture, the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, the yoghurt and the egg. Mix and form a ball of dough.
3. Empty the ball of dough on to a clean work surface and knead it for 10 minutes or more, until it is smooth and satiny forming into a ball.
4. Pour about ¼ teaspoon oil into a large bowl and roll the ball of dough in it. Cover the bowl with a piece of Clingfilm and set aside in a warm draught-free place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in bulk.
5. Preheat your oven to the highest temperature and place a heavy baking tray into the oven. Preheat your grill.
6. Punch down the dough and knead it again and then divide it into 6 equal balls, keep five of them covered while you work on the sixth.
7. Roll this ball into a pear-shaped naan, about 10 inches (25cm) in length, and about 5 inches (12.5cm) at its widest.
8. Remove the hot baking rray from the oven and slap the naan onto it. Put it immediately into the oven for 3 minutes. It should puff up, now place the baking tray and naan under the grill,about 3-4 inches (7.5-10cm) away from the heat, for about 30 seconds or until the top of the naan browns slightly.
9. Wrap the naan in a clean tea towel.
Attached Thumbnails Naan Bread-naan.jpg  
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I've found turkish goes mouldy quite quickly or have I just been unlucky!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I've found turkish goes mouldy quite quickly or have I just been unlucky!!
Good fresh bread does go off quickly. I wonder what stops breads going off.

Toasted turkish bread sandwiches are nice.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I love the Turkish bread here...i also tried the Lebanese bread from the market and that is very good too.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Any middle eastern bread is a pretty good substitute for naan bread as middle eastern foods have had an influence on asian food and vice versa.

Its all scrummy either way!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:05 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
Good fresh bread does go off quickly. I wonder what stops breads going off.

Toasted turkish bread sandwiches are nice.
Cheap bread often contains Calcium Propionate (preservative 282).
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I love turkish bread, but its no substitue for good naan bread. Im with Ceri here, the packet ones are just horrible .

And yes, Im fussy about my bread (any type!) just ask Dagboy, he calls me the Bread Nazi