Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

N Z Living costs

N Z Living costs

Old Dec 17th 2002, 8:51 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N Z Living costs

My wife has been supprisingly asking me some quite useful questions which i think really are quite important.
1, what are the household living costs i.e gas/electricity/phone/local taxes/water,sewer etc
It maybe cheap to run a car or even to get the shopping in but what is it like to run a household
We are looking at residing in Tauranga, maybe the prices are different elsewhere.The living costs that we are looking at are obviously a general view but its something we can work at.
i will be coming to Tauranga in April 2003 for a 2 week stay to check as much out as i can but any head start would be useful.
Maybe i could meet up with people that can tell me of places of use that i can vist that i havent thought of, and nice areas we could possibly live ( there are nices places in any big city but there are also crappy places you stay well away from) especially for bring up 3 young children.
any info would be great.
Many thanks Gavin.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N Z Living costs

Why is it surprising?
Mash..

Originally posted by ratliffe
My wife has been supprisingly asking me some quite useful questions which i think really are quite important.
1, what are the household living costs i.e gas/electricity/phone/local taxes/water,sewer etc
It maybe cheap to run a car or even to get the shopping in but what is it like to run a household
We are looking at residing in Tauranga, maybe the prices are different elsewhere.The living costs that we are looking at are obviously a general view but its something we can work at.
i will be coming to Tauranga in April 2003 for a 2 week stay to check as much out as i can but any head start would be useful.
Maybe i could meet up with people that can tell me of places of use that i can vist that i havent thought of, and nice areas we could possibly live ( there are nices places in any big city but there are also crappy places you stay well away from) especially for bring up 3 young children.
any info would be great.
Many thanks Gavin.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 10:06 pm
Now in Tauranga

Its surprising to me because my wife doesnt nrmally get involved with any technical issues. i think it is reaaly good that my wife is asking me questions because she is interested. There are lots of people that just let there partners just get on eith it because 'they know what they are doing' sort of attitude. Although we are 99% sure we are going to make the right move we just need that extra 1% to secure it if you know what i mean.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think such a big decision as migrating would be a 50:50 discussion and decision. Buying a carpet I can see might be nearer 99:1, but even then hubby would have his input.

Obviously everyone is different so fair enough, I was just surprised that you used the word surprising.

As to the answers there have been a few cost of living threads recently you can search through. Not sure where Taurunga is so can't help you myself. Best of luck anyway, and to your wife..

Mash..

Its surprising to me because my wife doesnt nrmally get involved with any technical issues. i think it is reaaly good that my wife is asking me questions because she is interested. There are lots of people that just let there partners just get on eith it because 'they know what they are doing' sort of attitude. Although we are 99% sure we are going to make the right move we just need that extra 1% to secure it if you know what i mean.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 11:06 pm
Now in Tauranga

Thanks for that! Its just nice for a change that she is paying an active part on our lives. As for living cost threads; where are these.
Gavin.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do a search in the british expats forum search facility for cost of living.
Recent one was by pommieshiela but loads of others aswell.

Search from beginning December as a start point.

Happy reading. There's also loads to cost of living websites but far to late for me to start looking for them now. I'll see if I can find them, or others may also reply??

Mash..

Thanks for that! Its just nice for a change that she is paying an active part on our lives. As for living cost threads; where are these.
Gavin.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: N Z Living costs

any info would be great.
Many thanks Gavin.
You sound like an MCP. You'd fit in very nicely in Oz -
Old Dec 18th 2002, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,
we're moving to Tauranga at the end of January. The area's we were told were best to live in were Papamoa (lots of new houses being built near the beach for around £80,000) Bethlehem, looks very nice a bit more inland and MT maunganui although it can get busy with tourists there in January.
We spent two weeks there in October and found the cost of living wasn't too bad. Food shopping was on a par with the UK but beer was cheap and like anywhere there are always alternatives to buying the expensive stuff.

Good luck.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 5:26 am
Now in Tauranga

Whats an MCP?
Old Dec 20th 2002, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Whats an MCP?
Well, putting it politely, in your case,

Misogynist Chap from Plymouth....
Old Dec 20th 2002, 9:53 am
Just Joined

SWoll is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone got any useful info on this as I am also very interested in the household costs side of things.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 8:25 pm
Now in Tauranga

not only does it souns like someone has swallowed a dictionary but has also missinterpreted my answer and taken it totally the wrong way but there you go, my origional question was regarding living costs in new zealand not about disliking women in australia 'politely taken'
Old Dec 20th 2002, 8:33 pm
Now in Tauranga

if you get somr useful information regarding 'living costs' in nz could you pass it onto me as i am the same. have you tryed Woolworths' online as in nz there are a major shopping store a bit like tescos and that will give you an idea how much a tin of bean or a loaf of bread cost, i suppose you may want to compare it with th u.k but it would not be right as nz wages are lower.just keep looking on the net, if anything relavent comes i'll let you know
Old Dec 29th 2002, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

pcbengr is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Could you also share some info about NZ living cost to me. I have a job offer and I am thinking if I will accept it or not. Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2002, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

ex kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

not only does it souns like someone has swallowed a dictionary but has also missinterpreted my answer and taken it totally the wrong way but there you go, my origional question was regarding living costs in new zealand not about disliking women in australia 'politely taken'
Rates $1280 per year (600m3 section in Howick, Auckland)
Power $80 per month
Gas $18 per month
Phone $45 per month *no other costs
Insurance $89 per month *house / contents & 2 cars
Car Rego $210 per year
Petrol $1.02 per litre
Internet $14.95 per month *unlimited access

I would expect the Rates in Tauranga to be 25% less.

Good choice. Tauranga is bloody nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.