Myth or Truth

Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:17 pm
gld
Forum Regular

gld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Myth or Truth

Myth or Truth

I have been questioned as to my grounds for making certain claims about protecting a pension fund against the A$ fluctuation. So I will explain with the following illustration

It takes anything between 1 week to 18 months to move a pension fund to OZ or NZ, therefore exchange rate volatility can be significant, put another way that is a potential cost to any pension holder.

If so, why not move to a UK pension scheme that can transfer within a week? And also allowing YOU the option of when to make the A$ exchange.

The following illustrates what a difference a month makes. I hasten to add this does not work in all occasions, but if a UK scheme can get the funds to OZ or NZ within 1 month it sure helps in beating the 6 months tax barrier (Oz) and 3 Years and a bit for NZ..

The first column illustrates what £10,000 is worth in A$, the second shows the change in % from the previous month.

The secret is to be able to act quickly. (3 months can make a significnat difference). Let the volatility and the facts speak for themselves.

First Monday of the Month Closing Price £ v A$

December A$28,860
January A$27,584 - 4.42%
February A$27,657 + 0.26%
March A$26,127 - 5.53%
April A$25,930 - 0.75%
May A$24,860 - 4.12%
June A$25,225 + 1.47%
July A$24,733 - 1.95%
August A$24,554 - 0.72%
September A$24,505 - 0.20%
October A$24,042 - 1.89%
November A$23,598 - 1.84%
December A$23,462 - 0.57%
January A$23,526 + 0.27%

Hope that this explains

Geraint
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:36 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Myth or Truth

Originally posted by gld
Myth or Truth

I have been questioned as to my grounds for making certain claims about protecting a pension fund against the A$ fluctuation. So I will explain with the following illustration

It takes anything between 1 week to 18 months to move a pension fund to OZ or NZ, therefore exchange rate volatility can be significant, put another way that is a potential cost to any pension holder.

If so, why not move to a UK pension scheme that can transfer within a week? And also allowing YOU the option of when to make the A$ exchange.

The following illustrates what a difference a month makes. I hasten to add this does not work in all occasions, but if a UK scheme can get the funds to OZ or NZ within 1 month it sure helps in beating the 6 months tax barrier (Oz) and 3 Years and a bit for NZ..

The first column illustrates what £10,000 is worth in A$, the second shows the change in % from the previous month.

The secret is to be able to act quickly. (3 months can make a significnat difference). Let the volatility and the facts speak for themselves.

First Monday of the Month Closing Price £ v A$

December A$28,860
January A$27,584 - 4.42%
February A$27,657 + 0.26%
March A$26,127 - 5.53%
April A$25,930 - 0.75%
May A$24,860 - 4.12%
June A$25,225 + 1.47%
July A$24,733 - 1.95%
August A$24,554 - 0.72%
September A$24,505 - 0.20%
October A$24,042 - 1.89%
November A$23,598 - 1.84%
December A$23,462 - 0.57%
January A$23,526 + 0.27%

Hope that this explains

Geraint

Why don't you move your adverts to the 'Market Place' forum?
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Everybody knows pensions and tax are tedious and boring, but gld you are definitely plumbing new depths
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:14 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

At least Allan Collett (Bloody Helpful Member) answers individual questions in a non advertising manner and doesn't cram it down your throat. Gld (Blatant Advertising Member) provides answers to the questions that nobody asked. Very good reading for insomniacs!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:09 am
gld
Forum Regular

Simply responding to previous comments which "questioned my grounds", made in the best way possible with a statement of fact. I thought this was a forum that wanted information and facts that would help in the migration process and stimulate healthy debate.

Increasing awareness is what its all about. If a posting helps but one person it is a positive.

I thought the right of reply was healthy. There is a fine line between blatant advertising and provision of assistance - I wonder how else is a right of reply is to be delivered or clarification given or is that not a right?

Perhaps the information provided clashes with previous facts given - if so a healthy debate on the issue resulting in clarification is what it is all about.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by gld
Simply responding to previous comments which "questioned my grounds", made in the best way possible with a statement of fact. I thought this was a forum that wanted information and facts that would help in the migration process and stimulate healthy debate.

Increasing awareness is what its all about. If a posting helps but one person it is a positive.

I thought the right of reply was healthy. There is a fine line between blatant advertising and provision of assistance - I wonder how else is a right of reply is to be delivered or clarification given or is that not a right?

Perhaps the information provided clashes with previous facts given - if so a healthy debate on the issue resulting in clarification is what it is all about.
GLD
I think you are supposed to reply in the same thread as the question, so that the person asking actually gets to see the answer. When a reply comes in, then that person gets an email to say that a reply has been made.
The way you have done it, means that in all likelyhood the person who posted the original question will not see the answer.
Unless of course he is interested in seeing what "Myth & Truth" is all about.
Not everyone has the time to look at ALL threads, like Bondipom, myself and a few others.

PS: What was the myth ?

Old Jan 6th 2004, 3:18 pm
gld
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
GLD
I think you are supposed to reply in the same thread as the question, so that the person asking actually gets to see the answer. When a reply comes in, then that person gets an email to say that a reply has been made.
The way you have done it, means that in all likelyhood the person who posted the original question will not see the answer.
Unless of course he is interested in seeing what "Myth & Truth" is all about.
Not everyone has the time to look at ALL threads, like Bondipom, myself and a few others.

PS: What was the myth ?
: Hidden Costs of Pension Transfers -do they exist?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:16 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Get yourself a proper paying advert on top of the page or something please. You wasted another precious minute or two, & I don't have time to read Badgers 40 postings now.