Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Myth shooting 3 after 4 months in Sydney

Myth shooting 3 after 4 months in Sydney

Old Oct 12th 2004, 3:45 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default Myth shooting 3 after 4 months in Sydney

Well here we go again no doubt some of you will have problems with what we have to say but I know some like the detail as I know we did when we were on the otherside (UK) waiting to come over.
So four months in and what hve we noticed as different? to be aware of? plus+, and minus-........
We took a break last week in the school holidays and went to Port Douglas just North of Cairns it was a great week and the sun shone the whole time, we went to the barrier reef which takes about 1 hr 45 mins to get to by boat, we chose a smaller vessel which held 25 people as the large cruises took about 200+ and this was not very personal. It was great the fish the coral the whole experience...advice make sure you hire a wet suit ( $5.50) as the sun with a little water over your back while snorkelling magnify's it and yes I did get burnt in the 45 mins I was in the water, the cream to sooth it cost twice as much as the wet suit was to hire!! but hey you live and learn..the suncream just fell away while swimming.
So what else annoys us???? we live in the Hills District of Sydney some 30 mins from the CBD and the beaches and everyone seems to own a dog that barks at 6-6.30 in the morning and then again later in the evening and as the prevalence of doule glazing is somewhat void in Australia you hear it all..maybe I will learn to ignore it in time but at the moment it is annoying.

Back to the food shoping which is always a hot issue, we must be lucky where we live as the Coles and Woolworths shops are huge and they do seem to have all that you would need and more. Re the packaged meals, well you can get most Italian meals pepared for the oven or microwave, lasagne, canaloni, riccota bake ( excuse spelling) etc plus all the weight watcher, lean cusine range is available and I must be honest did not buy in the UK but they are good and with the heat you don't eat as much out here so one of these really does suffice if you dont want a steak or chichen roll cooked on the BBQ the cost of the ready meal's last week was $4 each thats £2 if you take the cost of living, tax etc etc in Aus into account...thats a new learning when you come out with UK monies do the rate convertion, then when you earn dollars if you still need to convert just half the rate it is closer to reality.

Telephone charges, well a local call is 20c for as long as you are on the call which is useful if you are waiting in a queue at a call centre at least you are not paying for the time they keep you waiting. Calls back to the UK which is very important to all of us to keep in touch with family and friends use a phone card which you can get at any local newsagent it is really great you get about 10.5 hours of call time for $20...the mobiles are always a pain there are so many plans and pre paids that you cannot compare so just stick a pin in an add that you like and go with it.

Foxtel, got that as they say it was also free for the first 6 months but you have to sign for 24 months no wonder it is also full of crap telly unless you like 2 year old Eastenders and Corrie, Jamie Oliver and all the old series we forgot existed...the sport is OK as we did not have Sky in the UK this is an advantage premiership matches and golf. This is again where I am sure to be strung up but for the little TV we watch we find that the free to air channels are not as bad as we were led to belive...so will I keep foxtel on ater the 24 months?????only time will tell...but do your homework first get it on trail and see if you watch it.

Drinking......now this is a good one if you have a teenager say 17 who maybe was able to get away with the odd pint at a quiet local... well it is not going to happen here, they are very strict however I know they can get fake ID's just see one of your mates at school but be aware I also think that because they can get hold of drugs easier than alcohol this is more of a problem maybe a little more thinking needed here!!!..also fancy a nice day on a quiet beach with your (Eskie) thats a cooler box, with your sarnies and a couple of beers and a glass of wine??? forget it!!! drinking in public places is forbidden you can only drink at desgnated bars, cafe's and within the confinds of the premise which does include outide tables...step outside this and you could be fined circa $120+ it's the few spoilt it for the many, breaking bottles on the beach and also being rowdy etc etc...trick I am advised, get a flask looks like coffee or a long island ice tea does and you wont need many of those to get you in the mood for whatever.

Part time jobs for the kids I have a 15 and 17 year old, both now have part time jobs weekends and thursday evenings ( late night shopping) pay not bad and it saves me being an ATM all the time they now have their own cash.

The temp today is 30 and yesterday it was 28, today I am at home applying for jobs and yesterday I was on the beach watching a new TV series for ABC being filmed how good is that.

If you want any more specific stuff from us re your pending move from the UK feel free to PM me...until the next update

Gary and Terri
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:56 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Myth shooting 3 after 4 months in Sydney

Originally Posted by Gary / Terri
..also fancy a nice day on a quiet beach with your (Eskie) thats a cooler box, with your sarnies and a couple of beers and a glass of wine??? forget it!!! drinking in public places is forbidden you can only drink at desgnated bars, cafe's and within the confinds of the premise which does include outide tables...step outside this and you could be fined circa $120+ it's the few spoilt it for the many, breaking bottles on the beach and also being rowdy etc etc...trick I am advised, get a flask looks like coffee or a long island ice tea does and you wont need many of those to get you in the mood for whatever.

Gary and Terri
Hi Gary & Terri

Nice post.
I think that the drinking in public places may vary between different areas. It was pretty much the same where we used to live in Sydney, but up here in QLD I don't think those rules apply. At least i've not seen any signs anywhere

Your comment on the TV was interesting, as I was only recently thinking that tehre is more to watch just at the moment. I actually bought some extra tapes today to video some programs But it doesn't seem that long ago that I coulldn't find anything to watch !!

Hope you keep enjoying, and that the dogs quieten down for you.

Old Oct 12th 2004, 7:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Agree about the TV: we've "invested" in a new TV etc and find just about enough to watch. It's more interesting walking along the beach at Manly though!

The calling cards are fantastic value: we started with a "Click" card at $20 and after calling the UK for what seems an age had $19.47 left on it! So good that I phoned them this morning: the Uk and USA work out at 2.9c/min (no flagfall either), Melbourne 5c/min and the rest of Oz 8c/min. Don't ask why though!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:49 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya guys. I always read your posts. Carry on ignoring those that don't like them.

Overall, is it working out for you over there?

Paul.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yep!!!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:29 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road

Diddy
yes it is great, just need a job to be secured and all will be well, was n the Hunter Valley yeserday playing golf with a pal I have met here..it was great, 30+ degrees sunny and a great breeze and we drew the match on the 18th and drunk the 19th dry how good is that.
Gary and Terri
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Quote "also fancy a nice day on a quiet beach with your (Eskie) thats a cooler box, with your sarnies and a couple of beers and a glass of wine??? forget it!!! drinking in public places is forbidden you can only drink at desgnated bars, cafe's and within the confinds of the premise which does include outide tables...step outside this and you could be fined circa $120+ it's the few spoilt it for the many, breaking bottles on the beach and also being rowdy etc etc...trick I am advised, get a flask looks like coffee or a long island ice tea does and you wont need many of those to get you in the mood for whatever."

Last year i took my Eskie to coogee beach (on more than one occasion!). There were a lot of people drinking stubbies on the beach me included. The only warnings/rule i know of regarding this is that you are not allowed to do this in the beach area between dusk and dawn. This rule will vary for different suburbs, but if you want a drink on the beach come to Coogee
Old Oct 14th 2004, 1:01 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Nice post. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far on the whole!
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

wezzer is an unknown quantity at this point

:scared:
Well here we go again no doubt some of you will have problems with what we have to say but I know some like the detail as I know we did when we were on the otherside (UK) waiting to come over.
So four months in and what hve we noticed as different? to be aware of? plus+, and minus-........
We took a break last week in the school holidays and went to Port Douglas just North of Cairns it was a great week and the sun shone the whole time, we went to the barrier reef which takes about 1 hr 45 mins to get to by boat, we chose a smaller vessel which held 25 people as the large cruises took about 200+ and this was not very personal. It was great the fish the coral the whole experience...advice make sure you hire a wet suit ( $5.50) as the sun with a little water over your back while snorkelling magnify's it and yes I did get burnt in the 45 mins I was in the water, the cream to sooth it cost twice as much as the wet suit was to hire!! but hey you live and learn..the suncream just fell away while swimming.
So what else annoys us???? we live in the Hills District of Sydney some 30 mins from the CBD and the beaches and everyone seems to own a dog that barks at 6-6.30 in the morning and then again later in the evening and as the prevalence of doule glazing is somewhat void in Australia you hear it all..maybe I will learn to ignore it in time but at the moment it is annoying.

Back to the food shoping which is always a hot issue, we must be lucky where we live as the Coles and Woolworths shops are huge and they do seem to have all that you would need and more. Re the packaged meals, well you can get most Italian meals pepared for the oven or microwave, lasagne, canaloni, riccota bake ( excuse spelling) etc plus all the weight watcher, lean cusine range is available and I must be honest did not buy in the UK but they are good and with the heat you don't eat as much out here so one of these really does suffice if you dont want a steak or chichen roll cooked on the BBQ the cost of the ready meal's last week was $4 each thats £2 if you take the cost of living, tax etc etc in Aus into account...thats a new learning when you come out with UK monies do the rate convertion, then when you earn dollars if you still need to convert just half the rate it is closer to reality.

Telephone charges, well a local call is 20c for as long as you are on the call which is useful if you are waiting in a queue at a call centre at least you are not paying for the time they keep you waiting. Calls back to the UK which is very important to all of us to keep in touch with family and friends use a phone card which you can get at any local newsagent it is really great you get about 10.5 hours of call time for $20...the mobiles are always a pain there are so many plans and pre paids that you cannot compare so just stick a pin in an add that you like and go with it.

Foxtel, got that as they say it was also free for the first 6 months but you have to sign for 24 months no wonder it is also full of crap telly unless you like 2 year old Eastenders and Corrie, Jamie Oliver and all the old series we forgot existed...the sport is OK as we did not have Sky in the UK this is an advantage premiership matches and golf. This is again where I am sure to be strung up but for the little TV we watch we find that the free to air channels are not as bad as we were led to belive...so will I keep foxtel on ater the 24 months?????only time will tell...but do your homework first get it on trail and see if you watch it.

Drinking......now this is a good one if you have a teenager say 17 who maybe was able to get away with the odd pint at a quiet local... well it is not going to happen here, they are very strict however I know they can get fake ID's just see one of your mates at school but be aware I also think that because they can get hold of drugs easier than alcohol this is more of a problem maybe a little more thinking needed here!!!..also fancy a nice day on a quiet beach with your (Eskie) thats a cooler box, with your sarnies and a couple of beers and a glass of wine??? forget it!!! drinking in public places is forbidden you can only drink at desgnated bars, cafe's and within the confinds of the premise which does include outide tables...step outside this and you could be fined circa $120+ it's the few spoilt it for the many, breaking bottles on the beach and also being rowdy etc etc...trick I am advised, get a flask looks like coffee or a long island ice tea does and you wont need many of those to get you in the mood for whatever.

Part time jobs for the kids I have a 15 and 17 year old, both now have part time jobs weekends and thursday evenings ( late night shopping) pay not bad and it saves me being an ATM all the time they now have their own cash.

The temp today is 30 and yesterday it was 28, today I am at home applying for jobs and yesterday I was on the beach watching a new TV series for ABC being filmed how good is that.

If you want any more specific stuff from us re your pending move from the UK feel free to PM me...until the next update

Gary and Terri

HI GARY & TERi we have been in sydney 4 months now and i love it here now, the weather ,the endless shops in the city,the beaches,and when i ring the uk its cold wet and damp and im glad im here.
the only thing i dont like is liveing 59 floors up in high block i want to get a house but my partner wants to see what area is best for us, we have a 9 year old boy i would like to be in an area that is good for kids,older and younge ones,i havent made friends with any english people,or australian in fact no one yet, and think this is due to being in sydney city centre .if any one has any idears where i could get some female chatter or any conversation other than 2 males at home. i would be ever in your debt,or is there anyone who has moved over from uk and is liveing around the sydney area and wants to meet up it would been great. im 41 with one 9 year old boy here in sydney and 3 grow up children in the uk
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:58 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wezzer
:scared:

HI GARY & TERi we have been in sydney 4 months now and i love it here now, the weather ,the endless shops in the city,the beaches,and when i ring the uk its cold wet and damp and im glad im here.
the only thing i dont like is liveing 59 floors up in high block i want to get a house but my partner wants to see what area is best for us, we have a 9 year old boy i would like to be in an area that is good for kids,older and younge ones,i havent made friends with any english people,or australian in fact no one yet, and think this is due to being in sydney city centre .if any one has any idears where i could get some female chatter or any conversation other than 2 males at home. i would be ever in your debt,or is there anyone who has moved over from uk and is liveing around the sydney area and wants to meet up it would been great. im 41 with one 9 year old boy here in sydney and 3 grow up children in the uk
you just missed a great expats meeting yesterday. we didnt pan on going because we were busy, but we finished what we were doing and thought what the hell. glad we did it was magic. keep an eye out for the next one.
soapy
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:02 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

gary and terri,
great post and im really pleased life is working out so good for u.
keep it up
soapy
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

wezzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soapy
you just missed a great expats meeting yesterday. we didnt pan on going because we were busy, but we finished what we were doing and thought what the hell. glad we did it was magic. keep an eye out for the next one.
soapy
thats just like me miss all the fun ,but will look out for next meet.
thanks wezzer
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:46 am
Master of verbal pish©

Drinking......now this is a good one if you also fancy a nice day on a quiet beach with your (Eskie) thats a cooler box, with your sarnies and a couple of beers and a glass of wine??? forget it!!! drinking in public places is forbidden

Gary and Terri
have a look at the thread "sydney meet at Clontaff"
theres a photo link there. have a look at pic 5 i think u will find that most of us just dont care lol
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soapy
have a look at the thread "sydney meet at Clontaff"
theres a photo link there. have a look at pic 5 i think u will find that most of us just dont care lol
The same rule does apply to Queensland too, but nobody takes any notice of it. Gold Coast they apparently crack down on it at big events. Never been stopped myself having a can on any beach down there.

I didn't even know this law existed here until recently, and have been here years - everybody ( well not literally everybody) drinks in public places here. on the beach, in the parks, when they have their picnics . Apparently it's against the law ..ohhhhh

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=alcohol QLD
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:22 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Ceri
The same rule does apply to Queensland too, but nobody takes any notice of it. Gold Coast they apparently crack down on it at big events. Never been stopped myself having a can on any beach down there.

I didn't even know this law existed here until recently, and have been here years - everybody ( well not literally everybody) drinks in public places here. on the beach, in the parks, when they have their picnics . Apparently it's against the law ..ohhhhh

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=alcohol QLD
Don't worry about it ,drink on the beach, you hardly ever see any cops
on the beach, its unlikely you will ever get caught and if you do the cops will only give you a warning or a small fine, like you get with a parking or speeding ticket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.