my Yamaha

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default my Yamaha

Hi All
Anyone exported a motorbike to Oz ?
I have a RD350 LC Yamaha the early non powervalve one and while it is not too valuable it holds a lot of sentimental value to me.
As it is old, i.e 1980 vintage does it become cheaper to import to Oz.
I dont want to sell but dont want to pay £2,000 to import it either.
Any suggestions

Dave
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:15 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: my Yamaha

Originally posted by jarv
Hi All
I have a RD350 LC Yamaha the early non powervalve one and while it is not too valuable it holds a lot of sentimental value to me.
Any suggestions

Dave
This bike is an absolute classic. You can not let it go. Take it to peices and take it in your luggage.

I'll be selling my Fazer1000, but I'll be sad to see it go.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:47 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi All
Any suggestions

Dave
I'm with chippy on this one, there has to be a way!!! loved the black and red LC's!

i posted a thread a while back on a similar subject. wanted to know if it's cheaper to import my bike in the same crate as the rest of the junk i'd be taking. it wasn't too far back if you want to have a look for it. Just search on my username and it should be obvious by the title.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

des has a k reg pan european we were hoping we could just take it as part of the household things we were taking am i wrong in this one

arlene
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:55 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by arlene
des has a k reg pan european we were hoping we could just take it as part of the household things we were taking am i wrong in this one

arlene
Hi arlene, have you found a way to get it in the crate now? you were struggling to fit it in last time you commented. It's amazing what you can leave behind to make sure the bike fits!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:57 pm
life begins again...

I thought you might find this of interest. Rossi posted it on the thread i was talking about earlier.

Originally posted by Rossi
suffered the same dilemma myself, one day it was going and the next day it wasn't !

The difference in price to ship the bike with us was about £130 for crating, but you will also need to obtain a certificate to import the vehicle and that can take up to 12 weeks to get, also be aware that the bike will need to be inspected upon arrival and issued with an Australian Personal Import compliance plate (these can be expensive).
You will also have to weigh up the costs of insuring the bike for use ( as an import expect these costs to be higher than an Aus plated bike) :scared:

Having weighed up the pro's and cons to shipping my pride and joy I sold it a couple of weeks ago and intend to buy when I get there ( any way, it's a great excuse to buy a new ZX10 and the wife will not argue 'cos I've been so down at having to get rid of the other)
here's the link to the full thread, but the info is all there above. Cheers for that by the way rossi!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=1
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Scutter,
I forgot to mention you will need to apply for an import certificate for the bike too.........these can take 12 weeks to arrange and your shippers will not move the bike/car without one !
All in all I think I did the right thing by selling but I am suffering serious 2 wheel withdrawal symptoms :scared: especially since I joined an Oz riders group via the web and the buggers keep sending me photos of their rideouts and complaining that they are having to ride in 42 degrees .......My heart bleeds
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Grumps is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave

I remember my Elsie with only the fondest memories. I also remember it was an absolute dodle to strip to its component parts and then re-assemble.

I reckon you could hide all the parts in your household move. You will probably have problems with the frame and tank but you could have them shipped seperately later, or send them to some one you already know and pick them up when you get there.

Have you looked into converting your bike license when you get there. If you have I'd be interested in what you have found out.

Would you be interested in a bit of bondu bashin in the future on some old four stroke crossers?

Grumps
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Grumps,
the conversion of your bike licence will depend on which state you are emigrating to.......... I'm in a right bloody state
I will be off to Victoria just as soon as the buyers sign on the dotted line and there it is just an extra 4 or 5 questions on the car theory test......no practical required, thank goodness
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:56 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Rossi
Grumps,
the conversion of your bike licence will depend on which state you are emigrating to.......... I'm in a right bloody state
I will be off to Victoria just as soon as the buyers sign on the dotted line and there it is just an extra 4 or 5 questions on the car theory test......no practical required, thank goodness

Errr.....hang on a minute. Conversion of bike licence??
Don't say things like that without giving me some sort or warning.
I thought it would be pretty much a formality, like the car licence.

What's the score in QLD with this then?
Old Jan 4th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by chippy
This bike is an absolute classic. You can not let it go. Take it to peices and take it in your luggage.

I'll be selling my Fazer1000, but I'll be sad to see it go.

Hi Chippy
Thanks for the reply.
Have you had an LC before, they are great fun.
Dont worry i wont sell it, iwill leave it in storage in the uk if need be.
Are you going to get another bike in Oz ?

Dave
Old Jan 4th 2004, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Grumps
Dave

I remember my Elsie with only the fondest memories. I also remember it was an absolute dodle to strip to its component parts and then re-assemble.

I reckon you could hide all the parts in your household move. You will probably have problems with the frame and tank but you could have them shipped seperately later, or send them to some one you already know and pick them up when you get there.

Have you looked into converting your bike license when you get there. If you have I'd be interested in what you have found out.

Would you be interested in a bit of bondu bashin in the future on some old four stroke crossers?

Grumps
Hi Grumps
Thanks for the reply.
Definately up for some furious trailing when i get to oz, but where are you going in oz, im off to brissie (hopefully).
I think we will use a half 20ft container for our stuff, the wife will have to leave some of her shoes behind so Elsie can fit in.

Cheers

Dave
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:12 am
I'm lovin' it

Hi Chippy
Thanks for the reply.
Have you had an LC before, they are great fun.
Dont worry i wont sell it, iwill leave it in storage in the uk if need be.
Are you going to get another bike in Oz ?

Dave
Nah, but I used to thrash my mates 250 and his brothers' 350 on a regular basis. Oooh, I can smell that 2 stroke now oil now.

I'll get another bike in Oz, no worries.