Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My wife wants to move to Australia...

My wife wants to move to Australia...

Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:55 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My wife wants to move to Australia...

Originally Posted by paddyo
Because believe me, she cares not for your thoughts right now
That's the scary part - and ending up in OZ might make things a lot worse and turn a bad situation into a nightmare.

But most importantly I would like to find out from the OP on what basis his wife is applying for citizenship.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
That's the scary part - and ending up in OZ might make things a lot worse and turn a bad situation into a nightmare.

But most importantly I would like to find out from the OP on what basis his wife is applying for citizenship.

Indeed. We need more info.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly can you wife "migrate" to Australia? does she have a visa or Australian Passport if not then sadly she cannot just go and live there and your worries might just amount to nothing especially if your wife does not have the skills to apply for a visa. I would be very upset though if my partner is just not considering my concerns and yours sound very justified. Perth is a very expensive place to live, IF you do not have good jobs it could be a backward move for you, ie you have a home of your own, a job etc and to leave a close family behind is not something I would take to doing easily. Good luck and hope all turns out well for you all.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Why not try and find some common ground with the missis?

Negotiate with her if you're in sales!!

Go to Australia for a couple of years and see if it works out. Rent out your house in London, which will have increase in value on your return. There is always plenty of work in London.

Look at it as a holiday....this way you don't feel so scared at the thought of it's for good. No return, etc...

If you need your UK fix then jump on a plane for a few weeks. We have booked flights the night before and fly out 12 hours later. Not like the old days of sitting on a boat for 8 weeks.

Throw the dice give it ago!!
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leejo
Why not try and find some common ground with the missis?

Negotiate with her if you're in sales!!

Go to Australia for a couple of years and see if it works out. Rent out your house in London, which will have increase in value on your return. There is always plenty of work in London.

Look at it as a holiday....this way you don't feel so scared at the thought of it's for good. No return, etc...

If you need your UK fix then jump on a plane for a few weeks. We have booked flights the night before and fly out 12 hours later. Not like the old days of sitting on a boat for 8 weeks.

Throw the dice give it ago!!
There are many issues with this, and looking past the issue that neither the OP nor his wife have any apparent way to get a visa, one major issue would be that if the marriage breaks down in Australia and his (ex) wife wants to stay in Australia, the OP won't be able to bring his children back to live in the UK even if he is granted custody.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are many issues with this, and looking past the issue that neither the OP nor his wife have any apparent way to get a visa, one major issue would be that if the marriage breaks down in Australia and his (ex) wife wants to stay in Australia, the OP won't be able to bring his children back to live in the UK even if he is granted custody.
Alternative being...

They divorce in London he gets to live near his parents on his own.

She then goes to Australia with the child - Where there's a will there's a way...

or she stays in London and is bitter.... making his life a misery.

Talk it through, life is for living go explore!!
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Alternative being...

They divorce in London he gets to live near his parents on his own.

She then goes to Australia with the child .....
But she CAN'T take the child to Australia (out of the UK) without the OP's approval, or a court order, which no court is going to give against the wishes of an engaged parent.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

But she CAN'T take the child to Australia (out of the UK) without the OP's approval, or a court order, which no court is going to give against the wishes of an engaged parent.
Where there's a will there's a way...
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Does she think that you just go and live there ? Immigration to Oz is a bit more complicated than it used to be.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:38 pm

Posting poetic platitudes doesn't alter facts.
Originally Posted by scot47
.... Immigration to Oz is a bit more complicated than it used to be.
Petty larceny used to be sufficient.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, not unless you find a way to work around many legislative barriers.

It's my understanding that if two parents share equal custody of their child, it's illegal for one parent to remove that child from the UK without the other parent's consent. The UK and Australia have an extradition agreement in place.

It really is a moot point though. I've seen nothing to indicate the OP's wife, or the OP himself, would be eligible to apply for any visa but a visitor one.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Petty larceny used to be sufficient.
Oi you! That's my ancestors you're talking about
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Not really, not unless you find a way to work around many legislative barriers.

It's my understanding that if two parents share equal custody of their child, it's illegal for one parent to remove that child from the UK without the other parent's consent. The UK and Australia have an extradition agreement in place.

It really is a moot point though. I've seen nothing to indicate the OP's wife, or the OP himself, would be eligible to apply for any visa but a visitor one.
This, all of it.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oi you! That's my ancestors you're talking about
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:50 pm
Concierge

It's ok, it's quite fashionable now to have convict ancestors.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 6:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Given that the OP hasn't returned it appears that someone has had a reality check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.