Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

my washing machine and tumble drier

my washing machine and tumble drier

Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough
Default my washing machine and tumble drier

Hi all,
Sorry this is a bit of a boring question but should I bring my tumble drier with me? Also we are planning on bringing our washing machine with us, is it worth buying a new one?
Thanks
Andy 'n' Jayne
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my washing machine and tumble drier

Originally Posted by devilishdean
Hi all,
Sorry this is a bit of a boring question but should I bring my tumble drier with me? Also we are planning on bringing our washing machine with us, is it worth buying a new one?
Thanks
Andy 'n' Jayne
Hi,
I brought my washing machine as it was only 18 months old. I am glad I did as washing my clothes at the local laundrette did nothing for them. I was so glad when my stuff arrived. I left the drier behind as depending on where you live, it doesn't take long for the washing to dry!!

:0
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a new front loading washer when we arrived, $799 for a 7.5kg Samsung washing machine. Plus I didn't need to wait for anything to arrive

I'd imgine that a dryer wouldn't get that much use here, I've never needed one yet.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I brought both and use both. I am a right lazy cow when it comes to pegging out and refuse to peg out knickers, socks and towels. They all go in the drier. In the winter I use it for other stuff too.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:21 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I bought new ones in UK (the biggest drum capacity I could find) and they were just over a year old when we came. They have both travelled fine and I use them both a fair bit.

I HATE using towels that have been dried outside and are scratchy, so they go in the drier. That is my bit of luxury that I am determined to keep.

So I would say say, well worth bringing them if you have good ones

Shirley
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:45 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
I bought new ones in UK (the biggest drum capacity I could find) and they were just over a year old when we came. They have both travelled fine and I use them both a fair bit.

I HATE using towels that have been dried outside and are scratchy, so they go in the drier. That is my bit of luxury that I am determined to keep.

So I would say say, well worth bringing them if you have good ones

Shirley
Me too. I only dry towels in the dryer. And flannel sheets. They get so soft and fluffy in the dryer and stiff on the line. I won't live without my dryer. It's just a cheap $400 model, but for the couple of loads I put in per week it gets the job done.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:52 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks
Andy 'n' Jayne
if you are coming to aust for the great weather and lack of rain why do you need a dryer .??use the washing line as for the washer it is as cheap to relace as frieght and if you freight you wait 6-8wks for it but you can just change the plug and away you go....
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
if you are coming to aust for the great weather and lack of rain why do you need a dryer .??use the washing line as for the washer it is as cheap to relace as frieght and if you freight you wait 6-8wks for it but you can just change the plug and away you go....
Bring them.

Jo
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Hi all,
Thanks
Andy 'n' Jayne
I regret giving our tumble drier to my hubby's brother. We wouldnt need it often enough to justify buying one, but it would be useful here. A tip if you're bringing lots of electrical stuff tho -- bring some english multiplugs with you -- We can only fit one adaptor into our double sockets which is a right pain!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:25 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
I regret giving our tumble drier to my hubby's brother. We wouldnt need it often enough to justify buying one, but it would be useful here. A tip if you're bringing lots of electrical stuff tho -- bring some english multiplugs with you -- We can only fit one adaptor into our double sockets which is a right pain!
go to bunnings buy plugs 2bucks a piece cut off the uk plug and fit an Aust one the instructions are on the pack !
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Jayne, we have been in melbourne now 10 years we brought all our stuff with us except the washing machine it was on its last legs, the drier is now 27 years old and working fine you can get spares for most models here, dont know about spares for the washer though.
But everything else works here we are on 240V like the UK, if your hubby is a spark tell him not to bring the pipe vice they dont know what that is here seeming they use PVC conduit all tools on site are 240V but are protected via a RCD safety switch.

arthur
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Taking my front loader - don't have a dryer. Who needs a dryer in Perth ? - Anyway used a top loader last time i was out - useless imho so taking mine
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:47 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Taking my front loader - don't have a dryer. Who needs a dryer in Perth ? - Anyway used a top loader last time i was out - useless imho so taking mine
Perth has a lot of rain phoenix.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
Perth has a lot of rain phoenix.
Undercover drying area hunny
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Undercover drying area hunny
I am lazy, would rather tumble it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.