Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My visit to the UK (got back today)

My visit to the UK (got back today)

Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My visit to the UK (got back today)

Originally Posted by fish.01
Would you still not have more support in the UK than Brisbane though polly? You really seem to like it there it seems a shame to leave.
I'm honestly not sure now, a lot of things have changed in friend's lives, and I think I would be very much on my own, apart from family on the other side of the country. Have no real cash to move back with and certainly no chance of a job as good or as well-paid as in Brisbane.
Never say never though.......

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 25th 2010 at 6:55 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by eurotramp

Anyway..nothing nicer then a landscape covered in snow and sunshine and a walk in it..then the beautiful spring when the first green is on the trees like right know sitting with a beer in a pub garden like today..then the summer..you never know what the weather is the next day and you treasure every sunny day..then we move on to the autumn, not my most favourite time of the year but still wonderful with all the autumn colours in nature...best time for long walks kicking around the leafs.

I could go on..I love the sun, but I think I would get bored of it if I had it all year around to be honest....nothing wrong with this country.
Ah, you're after my own heart. As someone Brit born, who lived in Australia for over 42 years and now been living in the hot and sunny Southwest of the USA for ten years, you are absolutely right. I love the sun, but you actually can get tired of it shining all day every day. Especially when you burn as easily as me.

I LOVE my trips back to the UK. It makes such a change from where I live. I guess I look at it with different eyes from those who live there all the time. I miss my autumn colours, I miss gathering chestnuts, I miss my history. Me mam was a lassie from Lancashire and the north is magical to me; I was born in Hampshire and the gently rolling hills and thatched pubs..... Ahhhhhh......

We had loads of clouds here in Phoenix the other day. It was beautiful with the clouds slowly drifting across the blue sky and the gentle breeze. We were working in the garden, and I said to my husband " This is JUST like an English summers day". Lovely.

But perhaps that is easy for me to say. I am citizen of two countries (UK and Australia) and a soon-to-be citizen of the USA. I have the freedom to go wherever I please. I'm pretty content wherever I am and wherever I happen to travel. World is a fascinating place!

Last edited by Angelstation; Apr 25th 2010 at 5:58 pm. Reason: Brain fart
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Even so...only because its not warm all the time doesn't mean its that drap and the statement "Nothing appealed to be at all." is just a bit over the top. If you personal need the warmer weather that's a different story, but this does not make this country as bad as you make it.

I have never lived in a country were so many people having such a bad opinion about their own country...England is a very nice country if you pick the nicer areas...unfortunate the London suburbs are not one of them, that's why we will move away. I would never pick a country purely on the weather.

Anyway..nothing nicer then a landscape covered in snow and sunshine and a walk in it..then the beautiful spring when the first green is on the trees like right know sitting with a beer in a pub garden like today..then the summer..you never know what the weather is the next day and you treasure every sunny day..then we move on to the autumn, not my most favourite time of the year but still wonderful with all the autumn colours in nature...best time for long walks kicking around the leafs.

I could go on..I love the sun, but I think I would get bored of it if I had it all year around to be honest....nothing wrong with this country.
You seem much more settled now, eurotramp
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelstation
Ah, you're after my own heart. As someone Brit born, who lived in Australia for over 42 years and now been living in the hot and sunny Southwest of the USA for ten years, you are absolutely right. I love the sun, but you actually can get tired of it shining all day every day. Especially when you burn as easily as me.

I LOVE my trips back to the UK. It makes such a change from where I live. I guess I look at it with different eyes from those who live there all the time. I miss my autumn colours, I miss gathering chestnuts, I miss my history. Me mam was a lassie from Lancashire and the north is magical to me; I was born in Hampshire and the gently rolling hills and thatched pubs..... Ahhhhhh......

We had loads of clouds here in Phoenix the other day. It was beautiful with the clouds slowly drifting across the blue sky and the gentle breeze. We were working in the garden, and I said to my husband " This is JUST like an English summers day". Lovely.

But perhaps that is easy for me to say. I am citizen of two countries (UK and Australia) and a soon-to-be citizen of the USA. I have the freedom to go wherever I please. I'm pretty content wherever I am and wherever I happen to travel. World is a fascinating place!
So would you trade hot sunshine for ice and snow now?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelstation
Luckily I never have to make an "either/or" decision. I can have both. Nice!
Then you really have your butt in the bummer!

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 25th 2010 at 7:02 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm honestly not sure now, a lot of things have changed in friend's lives, and I think I would be very much on my own, apart from family on the other side of the country. Have no real cash to move back with and certainly no chance of a job as good or as well-paid as in Brisbane.
Never say never though.......
Its difficult we spent a fantastic week with one of my brothers, sort of week where you never stop laughing, great fun. SInce we have been back we havent heard from him

I think it might be to do with a bit of shit stirring from another family member however you do think OMG what did we do, - but I have just put it down to hes moved on They pretty quickly figure your so far away the friendship is really only emails etc , and get real people in their lives instead
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:59 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its difficult we spent a fantastic week with one of my brothers, sort of week where you never stop laughing, great fun. SInce we have been back we havent heard from him

I think it might be to do with a bit of shit stirring from another family member however you do think OMG what did we do, - but I have just put it down to hes moved on They pretty quickly figure your so far away the friendship is really only emails etc , and get real people in their lives instead
Sad isn't it...and when it happens with someone you were close to for years it makes you unfortunately wonder about the loyalty of other people too - how long will that last.
Migration must be one of the toughest tests of friendship ever.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 25th 2010 at 10:03 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joho
we flew to the uk for a visit, first time i 4 years and my personal experience.

We landed on 29th March and picked up our hire car from there we spent the next 3 weeks travelling here an there visiting family and friends. We had some great times and we had some boring times.

My observations are the place is grey and drab and cold. Nothing appealed to be at all. I went into asda one day and it was so huge it scrared the sh*t out of me. It was busy and it took me forever to find things and then i had to spend ages deciding which brand etc and then I forgot to pack my bag. Food is generally cheaper I suppose and much wider ranges. Villages are still very pretty. Cant understand the fuss about clothes in oz being substandard, I find them all pretty much the same quality, buy cheap get cheap, pay a bit more get a bit more. Of course I had a extra suitcase for those essetials, bisto, hula hoops, mint sauce, walkers worcester sauce crispa

My return flight was of course a nightmare, we were due to fly last sunday but was cancelled, then booked for wed but again a text on tues told us cancelled, son rebooked it for this comig sunday. I was by then pulling my hair out I wanted to be home and of course so did everyone else. A bit later the air space was reopened and as we were headig to a hotel in heathrow for the next 3 days we called into Heathrow and spoke to lady at singapore airlines, she toddled off and, yes our flight had been re instated ad we were booked on it. So here I am today Friday, on my own lounge enjoying a nice brew glad to be home.

In summary, I will not be in a hurry to return.

Jo
Glad you got back safely, Jo.

Our experience of the UK when we returned was much like yours. In fact it felt like landing on an alien planet that we had never been to before - very strange feeling. I knew where everything was my logic, but none of it was in my memory. We also found it crowded, grey and all the colours looked as though someone had gone over them with bleach.

Seabird
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
Glad you got back safely, Jo.

Our experience of the UK when we returned was much like yours. In fact it felt like landing on an alien planet that we had never been to before - very strange feeling. I knew where everything was my logic, but none of it was in my memory. We also found it crowded, grey and all the colours looked as though someone had gone over them with bleach.

Seabird
We were over in dec and january, 6 weeks in all. Never got the bleach look. We had 2 weeks of real cold, glorious weather, colours amazing, blue skies, white skies, shades of frosted with snow, holly, berries, plenty of green shrubs around if not trees, rabbits, squirrels and one deer while driving.

Before the snow, we were on the south coast, mild for dec double digits and a couple of hours of sun a day at least. We got wind, sun, fog, showers, rainbows, bright sun and that was just during one week in hastings. Quite fascintated with the variety of weather up on the cliffs, didnt see the same stuff twice.

Once back in OZ we have had pretty much the same weather since feb, hot mugg and wet, day in day out, very blah and boring, miss the variety. Finally today its cooler, no humidity and sunny,
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We were over in dec and january, 6 weeks in all. Never got the bleach look. We had 2 weeks of real cold, glorious weather, colours amazing, blue skies, white skies, shades of frosted with snow, holly, berries, plenty of green shrubs around if not trees, rabbits, squirrels and one deer while driving.

Before the snow, we were on the south coast, mild for dec double digits and a couple of hours of sun a day at least. We got wind, sun, fog, showers, rainbows, bright sun and that was just during one week in hastings. Quite fascintated with the variety of weather up on the cliffs, didnt see the same stuff twice.

Once back in OZ we have had pretty much the same weather since feb, hot mugg and wet, day in day out, very blah and boring, miss the variety. Finally today its cooler, no humidity and sunny,
Must say that was my experience too - February/March for me and I was expecting it to be drab and grey (read too many BE posts to expect otherwise) but I had amazing variety in weather and countryside in just those 5 weeks. When I look at my photos (as I do) I see beautiful blue skies (especially the week I had in gorgeous Cornwall, which also had its daffs out). I had crisp snow and mini blizzards, bright sunny days with the green and white of snow covered hills in Yorkshire - seeing the panorama from Pen-y-ghent to Pendle was gobsmackingly beautiful. I was expecting to freeze to death and bought myself a very nice down jacket - it stayed in the boot the entire time and I didnt need it once!!!!

Here in Canberra, sun, sun, and more sun - ranging from the very hot to the marginally hot and hopefully soon the much cooler but always with that boringly harsh blue sky - not drab, sure, but not beautiful either even though there is a bit of a break in the monotonous eucalypt background as the deciduous trees range (very rapidly) thought their autumnal colours. We did have rain on Saturday and it was glorious but you would not guess it now as there is still a lot of brown dust and a half hearted attempt at "grass" (more like green weeds really) - none of that nice lushness that I was beginning to see even in March in UK.

I guess we all see what we want to see.

On the friend front - I do have half a dozen real "friends" in UK but I wouldnt expect to be in anyone's pocket if we were to return. As it is, with those friends I do have, we can be in each other's company for 5 minutes and it is as if those intervening years/months have never happened and we have the best laughs - something that I never get here with any of my "friends". I can quite understand though that people get on with their own lives - why the hell should they keep a vacancy open just in case we decide we want to waltz back into their lives? We may like the way their lives have moved on (and I must admit that I do like what my friends have moved on to - they have a far richer lifestyle than mine, and I dont mean moneywise) or we may not (not impressed with some of my rellies that's for sure).

OP I am glad that you have worked out where it is that you want to be, that must be a real relief and you arent wrestling with the what ifs.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:26 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by quoll
Must say that was my experience too - February/March for me and I was expecting it to be drab and grey (read too many BE posts to expect otherwise) but I had amazing variety in weather and countryside in just those 5 weeks. When I look at my photos (as I do) I see beautiful blue skies (especially the week I had in gorgeous Cornwall, which also had its daffs out). I had crisp snow and mini blizzards, bright sunny days with the green and white of snow covered hills in Yorkshire - seeing the panorama from Pen-y-ghent to Pendle was gobsmackingly beautiful. I was expecting to freeze to death and bought myself a very nice down jacket - it stayed in the boot the entire time and I didnt need it once!!!!

Here in Canberra, sun, sun, and more sun - ranging from the very hot to the marginally hot and hopefully soon the much cooler but always with that boringly harsh blue sky - not drab, sure, but not beautiful either even though there is a bit of a break in the monotonous eucalypt background as the deciduous trees range (very rapidly) thought their autumnal colours. We did have rain on Saturday and it was glorious but you would not guess it now as there is still a lot of brown dust and a half hearted attempt at "grass" (more like green weeds really) - none of that nice lushness that I was beginning to see even in March in UK.

I guess we all see what we want to see.

On the friend front - I do have half a dozen real "friends" in UK but I wouldnt expect to be in anyone's pocket if we were to return. As it is, with those friends I do have, we can be in each other's company for 5 minutes and it is as if those intervening years/months have never happened and we have the best laughs - something that I never get here with any of my "friends". I can quite understand though that people get on with their own lives - why the hell should they keep a vacancy open just in case we decide we want to waltz back into their lives? We may like the way their lives have moved on (and I must admit that I do like what my friends have moved on to - they have a far richer lifestyle than mine, and I dont mean moneywise) or we may not (not impressed with some of my rellies that's for sure).

OP I am glad that you have worked out where it is that you want to be, that must be a real relief and you arent wrestling with the what ifs.
The weather has been great I've had everything from snow and Arctic winds to balmy sunshine!! everything is so green here now - and in so many shades - I'm wonderng what Brisbane will look like in comparison.
As for the friend thing, I don't expect anyone to stand still, or be there all the time, but I think I have realised that if I did come back I would have very limited support as I just don't "fit" their new lives, sad but true. I wouldn't have been looking to be in anyone's pocket, and I think thats just as well as I'm not sure the pocket still has space for me. Its full of people from a new lifestyle, in a totally different sphere of life from the one I would be in if I moved back.

Like you Quoll, I'm really glad Jo has worked out where she wants to be; in my case its more a question of having had it worked out for me. I made a bed a long time ago, now I just have to get on with lying in it. C'est la vie.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Again it's a question of choice and one size does not fit all. That's why it's so difficult to tell prospective migrants whether they will like Aus as you can't ever tell. One man's meat is another's poison and often with such massively opposing views, strange ....but actually no one is wrong ......everyone is bloody right

That's why it's so strange to hear folks getting upset when others don't agree

Polly it's great to hear you've had a lovely holiday mate and maybe your ghosts of the past are being laid to rest? This realization might allow you to move on in your life in Aus and could be the start to a more accepting, fulfilling life in Aus? I hope so mate
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We just got back yesterday from a 3 week trip to the UK, it was great.

The spring weather was magnificent, seeing family and friends is always special. We were very lucky with the weather. I was actually sad we were not delayed by the volcano. could have done with extending the trip.

I still cant get over the amazing choice and prices in the supermarkets, at M&S they do a deal most weekends where you can get a meal for 2 for 10 quid and that includes a bottle of wine. You pick the starter, main and pudding from a selection.

Great place for a holiday, wouldn't want to live/work there though.

In my ideal world I'd spend three months there every year. The rest in Australia or somewhere else nice, better hope I make enough cash for that to happen.

Malaysian Airlines weren't too bad - seats more comfy than Emirates and the lady always came when i rang the bell for more beer. Planes do look a bit old though.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of valid points. It will also depend on where you live here too. I mean its quite hilly where I am, with lovely high viewsn across the ocean and lots of greenary wherever you look. No fields and cows etc. So when we saw the flat, fieldy UK its seemed very bland, our first week was grey and overcast and maybe this first impression was the one that stuck with me. I am sure there a lot of places here just like that and worse. I also had quite a bad time with one of my best friends dying and another losing the plot, so that put a bit of a dampner on it too.

My view hasnt changed but I realise that it is just that, my view.

Jo
Old Apr 26th 2010, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

I have never lived in a country were so many people having such a bad opinion about their own country...

one of your previous threads

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413392

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.