Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My visit to the UK (got back today)

My visit to the UK (got back today)

Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My visit to the UK (got back today)

Originally Posted by eurotramp
OMG what a generalisation of a whole country

We have beautyfull weather here in the south..over 20 degrees and blue sky and tomorrow we will pack a picnic and visit a national trust property and have a picnic in one of the fantastic gardens they have.
If you had read futher down the page at another comment I made, I mentioned some nice sunny days too. I lived in Somerset (where I believe you would like to live) for 30 years and then in the midlands for another 6, so I am aware of the weather and that aint no generalisation. I left 5 years ago, I came back for a visit and that was my overall impression after living somewhere that the sun shines a lot, sorry if it doesnt match yours.

Hope you have a nice picnic the weather must have picked up nicely since I left on Wed, cause nowhere had tipped 18 the whole time I was there and I was very cold and even snowed the first week I was there. Unfortunatly for me I have MS and find the cold very hard to tolerate now as my feet are always numb.

Jo
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Even so...only because its not warm all the time doesn't mean its that drap and the statement "Nothing appealed to be at all." is just a bit over the top. If you personal need the warmer weather that's a different story, but this does not make this country as bad as you make it.

I have never lived in a country were so many people having such a bad opinion about their own country...England is a very nice country if you pick the nicer areas...unfortunate the London suburbs are not one of them, that's why we will move away. I would never pick a country purely on the weather.

Anyway..nothing nicer then a landscape covered in snow and sunshine and a walk in it..then the beautiful spring when the first green is on the trees like right know sitting with a beer in a pub garden like today..then the summer..you never know what the weather is the next day and you treasure every sunny day..then we move on to the autumn, not my most favourite time of the year but still wonderful with all the autumn colours in nature...best time for long walks kicking around the leafs.

I could go on..I love the sun, but I think I would get bored of it if I had it all year around to be honest....nothing wrong with this country.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think it shows just how different people are, and how subjective ur opinions are - Joho and I were within a couple of miles of each other for part of the time. I LOVE the cold weather, really suits me, the snow was great too - but then I don't have her health issues.
Had to laugh at her comment that Asda scared her wittless - I love the local huge Asda, the choice is brilliant, and I'd much refer to shop there rather than gawdamned Coles where I'll be next week. She's in no hurry to return, I'll be back, in 6 months.
I don't find the UK drab or grey, to me its vibrant and full of life, whether I'm out here in the countryside, or exploring London as I have over the last few days.
Each to their own - be boring if we all liked the same stuff
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think it shows just how different people are, and how subjective ur opinions are - Joho and I were within a couple of miles of each other for part of the time. I LOVE the cold weather, really suits me, the snow was great too - but then I don't have her health issues.
Had to laugh at her comment that Asda scared her wittless - I love the local huge Asda, the choice is brilliant, and I'd much refer to shop there rather than gawdamned Coles where I'll be next week. She's in no hurry to return, I'll be back, in 6 months.
I don't find the UK drab or grey, to me its vibrant and full of life, whether I'm out here in the countryside, or exploring London as I have over the last few days.
Each to their own - be boring if we all liked the same stuff
To true Polly, one persons trash is another ones treasure.

Why was my statement 'nothing appealed to me' over the top. It was the truth to ME, nothing did appeal at all. It is the way I feel and I am glad, because it means the decision we made to move was the correct one. I was very worried that although I had not had any urges to move back, the simple act of being in the country would have changed my mind, but it didnt.

If you are planning to move to Somerset I am sure me and Polly could point out some of the bad areas if you need some advice, although I am sure a lot must have changed in 5 years.

Just to add though, we never moved to Australia for the weather, I am not a sun worshiper at all. My health issue never came to light until 2007 after we had been her 2.5 years. We came because we hated the way the UK was going, the violence, break ins etc and if we are honest we wanted some adventure in our lives.

England is a very beautiful country for a tourist and I am still proud to be British, it just isnt where I want to live.

Jo
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:38 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joho

Why was my statement 'nothing appealed to me' over the top. It was the truth to ME, nothing did appeal at all. It is the way I feel and I am glad, because it means the decision we made to move was the correct one. I was very worried that although I had not had any urges to move back, the simple act of being in the country would have changed my mind, but it didnt.

If you are planning to move to Somerset I am sure me and Polly could point out some of the bad areas if you need some advice, although I am sure a lot must have changed in 5 years.

Just to add though, we never moved to Australia for the weather, I am not a sun worshiper at all. My health issue never came to light until 2007 after we had been her 2.5 years. We came because we hated the way the UK was going, the violence, break ins etc and if we are honest we wanted some adventure in our lives.

England is a very beautiful country for a tourist and I am still proud to be British, it just isnt where I want to live.

Jo
Hiya Jo

Glad to see the 3 of you are back - and in good form

Jim and the boss

ps........... and here comes the sun if I'm not mistaken
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
A decent lounge? That's what matters. Sort the details and the rest will follow.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
It won't

I know.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hiya Jo

Glad to see the 3 of you are back - and in good form

Jim and the boss

ps........... and here comes the sun if I'm not mistaken
G'day Jim
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Even so...only because its not warm all the time doesn't mean its that drap and the statement "Nothing appealed to be at all." is just a bit over the top. If you personal need the warmer weather that's a different story, but this does not make this country as bad as you make it.
You know, I think it depends on the style of post. I don't think is it over the top if that is a personal opinion and it clearly is. I'm not sure she was even trying to paint the UK as a bad place. I think saying something is drab and grey in a country in a certain place and time coming out of winter might be reasonable. I found parts of it the same - but knew the landscape would be transformed in other places and further into spring.

I think posters who say things like a country is full of morons (for example) is far more incendiary.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:18 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

OMG what a generalisation of a whole country

We have beautyfull weather here in the south..over 20 degrees and blue sky and tomorrow we will pack a picnic and visit a national trust property and have a picnic in one of the fantastic gardens they have.
It's been like this since Easter - hardly grey and drab is it?
Well not here in beautiful Dorset anyway. Obviously there are parts of the country that are not nice (like every other country) but thankfully we don't live there
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:23 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Why was my statement 'nothing appealed to me' over the top. It was the truth to ME, nothing did appeal at all. It is the way I feel and I am glad, because it means the decision we made to move was the correct one.

Jo
I can understand this Jo and I think it's great that you have made the right decision

There are a few things things I don't like about where I live but I just don't see the grey drabness. My area is beautiful, green and light most of the time.

I have lived in Birmingham, and I did find it grey and drab there. That's why I moved! It did have it's advantages (great nightlife and shopping) but that wasn't what I wanted.

Glad you have found the right place for you, hon
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
Yep, I could certainly show you places round here that are not so lovely and idyllic, and I've seen bits of London this week which I know would appear rundown and depressing after being in them for a while - I'm well aware I am looking at some of those with rose-tinted specs. But I do still feel more at home in the UK than in Brisbane, even in bits I'm not as familiar with,like north London.

Gorgeous weather here though, has been since Easter and the temperature is perfect - for me! In fact the only eye-opener has been realising that if I were to come back here to live then some of the people I would have expected to rely on have moved on wih their lives not necesssarily to somewhere that i would wish to follow them.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You know, I think it depends on the style of post. I don't think is it over the top if that is a personal opinion and it clearly is. I'm not sure she was even trying to paint the UK as a bad place. I think saying something is drab and grey in a country in a certain place and time coming out of winter might be reasonable. I found parts of it the same - but knew the landscape would be transformed in other places and further into spring.

I think posters who say things like a country is full of morons (for example) is far more incendiary.
Completely agree with you Badge.
The last 2 times we went back to Cornwall for a visit, it was cold, wet and grey skies for the most part of the week we spent there. One of those times was Christmas, so didn't really expect any different, but the second time was beginning of August . Average temp 15°C! So yes, it was drab and grey and depressing.

However, having been to Cornwall a couple of times before those two, I know what a beautiful place it really is when the sun shines. Probably one of the most amazing places in the world. So not always drab and grey...
Unfortunately, we just didn't make it within the one week of sunshine they get in the summer that time
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Jo
Hold on a moment...you words were..."My observations are the place is grey and drab and cold. Nothing appealed to be at all" that just sound so generalising about the whole of the country and not as just for you...
Is just the way you wrote it, but never mind.

We probably will move to Somerton and surrounding, because hubby will work in Yeovilton. We already went twice to check the area out and we are very impressed with the place and cant wait.
Hubby had a job offer in the US and Belgium as well, he is a IT Specialist..but I rather stay in England..I would have loved to go back to Germany, he could have had a job there as well, but unfortunate with the kids being teenagers and so far in their education..this would have not worked out.
I don't mind..England has some Problems, but so has every other country in this world..I have lived in some of them.

I just love Europe and I don't think I will ever leave it.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

In fact the only eye-opener has been realising that if I were to come back here to live then some of the people I would have expected to rely on have moved on wih their lives not necesssarily to somewhere that i would wish to follow them.
Would you still not have more support in the UK than Brisbane though polly? You really seem to like it there it seems a shame to leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.