Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My very first Redback

My very first Redback

Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default My very first Redback

This afternoon, I went into the yard to clean out the spa area and between the wall and a flowerpot was a thick spider's web with a cockroach trapped in it. Obviously I had no gloves on, was wearing shorts and flip-flops. I was peering into the web wondering what kind of spider would eat such a big thing when suddenly a black shiny spider with a red spot on it fell out

I ran in the house, stuck my thick socks and blundies on, found some thick gloves and a can of Mortein. After half a can, it finally died and I wiped it away with some kitchen roll on the end of a long stick.

I know it's ridiculous, but this was my first encounter with a deadly insect - and I felt I had to share it with you (Good job I live in the suburbs and not in the outback )
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:38 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My very first Redback

Originally Posted by chocaholic
This afternoon, I went into the yard to clean out the spa area and between the wall and a flowerpot was a thick spider's web with a cockroach trapped in it. Obviously I had no gloves on, was wearing shorts and flip-flops. I was peering into the web wondering what kind of spider would eat such a big thing when suddenly a black shiny spider with a red spot on it fell out

I ran in the house, stuck my thick socks and blundies on, found some thick gloves and a can of Mortein. After half a can, it finally died and I wiped it away with some kitchen roll on the end of a long stick.

I know it's ridiculous, but this was my first encounter with a deadly insect - and I felt I had to share it with you (Good job I live in the suburbs and not in the outback )
Many Happy Returns.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:30 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chocaholic

We have found 4 on our property, 1 in the water meter and stopvalve box, 1 in the envirocycle aerator box, 1 in a pile of bricks in the back yard (we live on acreage, but they still call it a back yard) and most worrying, when I was back in the UK earlier this year my wife found one in my 10 year old daughters bedroom, it was under the seat of a chair which had been brought in from the garden, so make sure you check all stuff moved inside. On a plus it was good to be able to show them to the children as something to be wary of, they are quite slow moving and squidge easily. Although deadly to some, I don't think that there has been a fatality since 1956.

Slater
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Slater
We have found 4 on our property, 1 in the water meter and stopvalve box, 1 in the envirocycle aerator box, 1 in a pile of bricks in the back yard (we live on acreage, but they still call it a back yard) and most worrying, when I was back in the UK earlier this year my wife found one in my 10 year old daughters bedroom, it was under the seat of a chair which had been brought in from the garden, so make sure you check all stuff moved inside. On a plus it was good to be able to show them to the children as something to be wary of, they are quite slow moving and squidge easily. Although deadly to some, I don't think that there has been a fatality since 1956.

Slater

Wasps are deadly to some people
They dont even advise you call 000 if you get bitten (this is reserved for Funnel Web bites) just get yourself of to a medical centre.

Redbacks are webbing spiders (wont come chasing after you ). I found that after seeing one (a couple of months after I got here) I started seeing more and more of them, probably just didnt realise what they were originally!
Went and got fuel earlier and when I came back to my car there was a small huntsman on the windscreen, I just flicked it off with my keys. Its amazing how easily you get used to it all
Old Aug 31st 2004, 12:18 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Spiders, what spiders, I see no spiders
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:00 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

I know this sounds crazy, but Redbacks I can deal with, although potentially life-threatening, they're small.

Huntsman on the other hand are something completely different. Why would I be SO scared of a huntsman when a Redback could kill ya? There's no rhyme nor reason with arachnophobia

D D
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:05 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
I know this sounds crazy, but Redbacks I can deal with, although potentially life-threatening, they're small.

Huntsman on the other hand are something completely different. Why would I be SO scared of a huntsman when a Redback could kill ya? There's no rhyme nor reason with arachnophobia

D D
Huntsman look a lot more aggressive! Just happy that in NYC the worst we have to deal with is the cockroach. Still having problems getting used to these. Too many of the bastards.