Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My turn to slip off quietly to my new life

My turn to slip off quietly to my new life

Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:40 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Cool My turn to slip off quietly to my new life

So thats it, the date is set, 1st Feb 07 to Perth and its been a real emotional time. Migrating myself and from the day of starting the whole application process on 15th Jan 06 after a sworn new-year resolution, to 1st Feb 07 it's just over a year.

Beginning with the Skills Assessment, the 136 application, finding $100,000 somewhere for 5 points, the ever long wait for a CO, medicals, pre-grant to grant and a shiny stamp in the Passport in November you'd think it would end there - HA... good one.

Still it seems amazingly to be falling in to place. The packer is booked for 24h Jan now after the house got in sold 6 hours of being on the market in November and that is looking good to close imminently.

Then came the constant indecision of when to go... the need to activate the visa in Feb and my very-vocal Aussie girlfriend put an end to that - the 1st Feb it was (seems the fares drop on that day!!)

Next its all the darned paperwork with the packer, solicitor, tom, dick AND harry. The post office, credit cards and even Ebay need to know you're off. Then along comes a bank that INSISTS that you come in to a branch to change your address - insane! Tough if i had already left and forgot to do it.

The saying goodbye is also starting and trying to avoid double booking yourself on nights out is not proving too sucessful at the moment! Thank the earth for Outlook.

Then what about selling all that stuff you dont want? Ah the vultures are now overhead.... except when you say its not free and they totally scarper. Cheers mates.

What about deciding what to take vs. ship... my latest dilemma as of date. And have i got enough allowance, do i really want to take that set of classic car magazines or national geographics ???- arrgh

The fun with the job came of Xmas. My own employer not too happy that i was going to leave them in the lurch, decided finally after a year of telling them i was off, that i was finally worth keeping. They have offered me a post in Melbourne only last week - hmmm interesting - didnt i say Perth???.... Yep thats right, as of March i'll be commuting weekly to Melbourne and weekends in Perth on their $. Couldnt say no really it was a nice "hello" to Australia, but that cant last - or can it??

And once i'm on the flight - do I think it all ends there?... probably not, getting a bank account, car, TFN, Medicare, cellphone, broadband is all still to do, so its really no rest. At least i dont have to worry, like alot i know, to find somewhere to stay (a warm bed awaits), or now even find work, so I can be thankful some things just sort themselves out.

I for one will be having a few drinks on the plane (sod it, its business class, i deserve it). At least you also have 24 hours to fully reflect on the past year, and what comes ahead in the future. All the best to you all doing this move. Its not easy, and in fact its a killer. You've really got to want to do this. My mates say "Its a long way to go for a shag Mark, England is fine". But you know what.... its all about living your life, the way you want it, the best you can. Let the story continue....
Ta-Ra
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My turn to slip off quietly to my new life

Originally Posted by mark213
So thats it, the date is set, 1st Feb 07 to Perth and its been a real emotional time. Migrating myself and from the day of starting the whole application process on 15th Jan 06 after a sworn new-year resolution, to 1st Feb 07 it's just over a year.

Beginning with the Skills Assessment, the 136 application, finding $100,000 somewhere for 5 points, the ever long wait for a CO, medicals, pre-grant to grant and a shiny stamp in the Passport in November you'd think it would end there - HA... good one.

Still it seems amazingly to be falling in to place. The packer is booked for 24h Jan now after the house got in sold 6 hours of being on the market in November and that is looking good to close imminently.

Then came the constant indecision of when to go... the need to activate the visa in Feb and my very-vocal Aussie girlfriend put an end to that - the 1st Feb it was (seems the fares drop on that day!!)

Next its all the darned paperwork with the packer, solicitor, tom, dick AND harry. The post office, credit cards and even Ebay need to know you're off. Then along comes a bank that INSISTS that you come in to a branch to change your address - insane! Tough if i had already left and forgot to do it.

The saying goodbye is also starting and trying to avoid double booking yourself on nights out is not proving too sucessful at the moment! Thank the earth for Outlook.

Then what about selling all that stuff you dont want? Ah the vultures are now overhead.... except when you say its not free and they totally scarper. Cheers mates.

What about deciding what to take vs. ship... my latest dilemma as of date. And have i got enough allowance, do i really want to take that set of classic car magazines or national geographics ???- arrgh

The fun with the job came of Xmas. My own employer not too happy that i was going to leave them in the lurch, decided finally after a year of telling them i was off, that i was finally worth keeping. They have offered me a post in Melbourne only last week - hmmm interesting - didnt i say Perth???.... Yep thats right, as of March i'll be commuting weekly to Melbourne and weekends in Perth on their $. Couldnt say no really it was a nice "hello" to Australia, but that cant last - or can it??

And once i'm on the flight - do I think it all ends there?... probably not, getting a bank account, car, TFN, Medicare, cellphone, broadband is all still to do, so its really no rest. At least i dont have to worry, like alot i know, to find somewhere to stay (a warm bed awaits), or now even find work, so I can be thankful some things just sort themselves out.

I for one will be having a few drinks on the plane (sod it, its business class, i deserve it). At least you also have 24 hours to fully reflect on the past year, and what comes ahead in the future. All the best to you all doing this move. Its not easy, and in fact its a killer. You've really got to want to do this. My mates say "Its a long way to go for a shag Mark, England is fine". But you know what.... its all about living your life, the way you want it, the best you can. Let the story continue....
Ta-Ra
I found myself nodding at quite a bit of that post It is a little manic for the first few weeks but it does calm down after that, then you finally get to think, wow I live here

All the best mate, hope you have a good flight.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Ta-Ra
Good luck!!! I'm sure this rolercoaster ride we put ourselves through will be worth it in the end.
Nicky x
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:48 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Thanks for both of your comments Wendy and Nicky - at last for once i'm feeling slightly positive that i am doing the right thing finally
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for both of your comments Wendy and Nicky - at last for once i'm feeling slightly positive that i am doing the right thing finally

Even if it's not right for you, it's still a fantastic experience.

We never now until we get here how it is going to be, I came expecting the worst (too much reading of some posts on here ) and I am amazed every day at how easy I have settled into things. I've not had a bad experience here yet (unless you count that incedent with the snake )
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Ta-Ra
Best of luck in your new life
But commuting that distance??? are you mad????
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:12 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

Originally Posted by curly
Best of luck in your new life
But commuting that distance??? are you mad????
You are right i must be mad - it will only be for a couple of months once i decide it Melbourne is the place to be or chuck it in and be in Perth. Only know if I try it suppose. Well its better than being here debating if i really want to do it or now so what the hell!!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

tons of good luck mark...exciting time for you
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

You are right i must be mad - it will only be for a couple of months once i decide it Melbourne is the place to be or chuck it in and be in Perth. Only know if I try it suppose. Well its better than being here debating if i really want to do it or now so what the hell!!
oh right !!!! yes good idea, only way to see where you like best

enjoy your new life
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

its all about living your life, the way you want it, the best you can.
I think you summed it all up with the above. Good luck and have a safe and pleasant journey.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:38 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you....hope it all works out good for you. C x
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

Exciting times.. Great post, look forward to hearing how you are doing in a few months! Hopefully I'll be in the same hemisphere by then!? BExie
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:27 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Yep thats right, as of March i'll be commuting weekly to Melbourne and weekends in Perth on their $. Couldnt say no really it was a nice "hello" to Australia, but that cant last - or can it??
Good post, it is all very similar to what we went through 18 months ago.

In my last job I was led to believe I would have to go to Melbourne every 4-5 weeks but it turned out to be every 2 weeks. I was up at 4am on Tuesday / Wednesday to get to the airport and got home at about 10pm on the Thursday / Friday and I have to say it really hammered me and ultimately led to me leaving on bad terms but maybe you will get better flights. The frequent flyer miles are a real bonus though and like you say it is good to arrive knowing work is secure.

Maybe see you in Perth one day.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I found myself nodding at quite a bit of that post It is a little manic for the first few weeks but it does calm down after that, then you finally get to think, wow I live here

All the best mate, hope you have a good flight.
Of course he'll have a good flight - he's going Business Class!
J
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:33 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your new life Mark, hope it's a success for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.