British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   My turn to ask for help, please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/my-turn-ask-help-please-278307/)

Go Banana's !! Jan 18th 2005 7:40 am

My turn to ask for help, please

Please, please could someone help me find tinned chestnuts - NOT WATER CHESTNUTS, In Perth or anywhere for that matter that will ship them to me. The ones that go in Pork and Chestnut stuffing, the kind that grow on trees and are sweet that you have on bonfire night.

I used to buy them from Waitrose and Safeway in the UK. I'm not missing them desperately or anything, but it would be really nice to find them for my roast dinner, makes a good stuffing fantastic (ooo-eerrr Mrs;) :D )

Anyones help would be most appreciated. I have looked all over Perth and the net and have drawn a blank.

I'll pay hansomely!!!

Yours in anticipation

Jill:cool:

Brissiegirl Jan 18th 2005 7:48 am

Re: My turn to ask for help, please

have you tried a delicatessan? (spelling??)... or a gourmet foods store. Or that flash food hall in the middle of Perth? Can't remember what department stores it's lurking in .. was it myers or grace bros or david jones??

good luck in findin' a tin of them...

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Please, please could someone help me find tinned chestnuts - NOT WATER CHESTNUTS, In Perth or anywhere for that matter that will ship them to me. The ones that go in Pork and Chestnut stuffing, the kind that grow on trees and are sweet that you have on bonfire night.

I used to buy them from Waitrose and Safeway in the UK. I'm not missing them desperately or anything, but it would be really nice to find them for my roast dinner, makes a good stuffing fantastic (ooo-eerrr Mrs;) :D )

Anyones help would be most appreciated. I have looked all over Perth and the net and have drawn a blank.

I'll pay hansomely!!!

Yours in anticipation

Jill:cool:

Will have a look in Brissie for you :)

Just found a .com.au recipe for them, so they must exist over here!

ProofReader Jan 18th 2005 8:01 am

A good delicatessen should carry tinned chestnuts.

Failing that, try Gourmandise - not cheap though at $7.95 a tin of 12 chestnuts plus "shipping"! :eek:

http://www.gourmandise.com.au/conten...s%20entier.jpg

Brissiegirl Jan 18th 2005 8:28 am

just had a thought.. there are Sweet Chestnut growers in Australia... and I'm sure they have a website.. and I think I looked at it a while back and they do produce diff. chestnut products....

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
just had a thought.. there are Sweet Chestnut growers in Australia... and I'm sure they have a website.. and I think I looked at it a while back and they do produce diff. chestnut products....

Chestnut Growers Aus

"70 to 80 % of Australian production is in the North East of Victoria -Bright, Myrtleford, Buckland Valley, Harrietville, Beechworth, Stanley. In the South of the Divide Region of Victoria chestnuts are grown in the High Country of the Gippsland and the Macedon Ranges."

Think you chose the wrong state Jill ;) Though it does go on to list all states, inc. WA

Hels Jan 18th 2005 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Chestnut Growers Aus

"70 to 80 % of Australian production is in the North East of Victoria -Bright, Myrtleford, Buckland Valley, Harrietville, Beechworth, Stanley. In the South of the Divide Region of Victoria chestnuts are grown in the High Country of the Gippsland and the Macedon Ranges."

Think you chose the wrong state Jill ;) Though it does go on to list all states, inc. WA

Mmmmmmm...some of the recipe's on that site sound really YUMMMMMMMMM.....

Go Banana's !! Jan 18th 2005 10:50 am

Big thankyou guys!! A special thankyou to Shelia The Crone, who has offered to have a look at her local grocery store for me, what a star.

I'm experimenting with pistachios tonight to see if they will do the job.

The health freaks amoungst you will shudder when I tell you that I am in deep joy, because I found some decent beef dripping to do my roasties in, you can't beat it I tell you, once you've tried them you are in love.:)

So tonights gourmet delights are roast chicken on the barbie, stuffed with pork, pistachio (:confused: ) garlic, onion and sage. Roasted sweet potatoes and roasties, sugar snap peas, honey glazed carrots, homemade yorkshires all bathed in a roast garlic and chicken gravy. Well come on it wasn't my good looks he married me for:rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch everyone

Jill

Hels Jan 18th 2005 11:01 am

Big thankyou guys!! A special thankyou to Shelia The Crone, who has offered to have a look at her local grocery store for me, what a star.

The health freaks amoungst you will shudder when I tell you that I am in deep joy, because I found some decent beef dripping to do my roasties in, you can't beat it I tell you, once you've tried them you are in love.:)

So tonights gourmet delights are roast chicken on the barbie, stuffed with pork, pistachio (:confused: ) garlic, onion and sage. Roasted sweet potatoes and roasties, sugar snap peas, honey glazed carrots, homemade yorkshires all bathed in a roast garlic and chicken gravy. Well come on it wasn't my good looks he married me for:rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch everyone

Jill

You cook things like that and you moved to Perth????

I tell ya...you can go off some people..... :rolleyes:

:D

Go Banana's !! Jan 18th 2005 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Hels
You cook things like that and you moved to Perth????

I tell ya...you can go off some people..... :rolleyes:

:D

I have a husband and daughter who made me promise that roast dinners would still be on the menu even if we lived on the moon.

Come on we have roasted the chicken on the barbie:D

Seriously, I love cooking and I find it one of the easiest meals to cook

Jill:)

G'Day Jan 18th 2005 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Chestnut Growers Aus

Mmmm, don't you just love it in winter when you walk in Melbourne and they sell them by the bagfull, freshly roasted on coals, on the pavements?

Go Banana's !! Jan 18th 2005 11:16 am

Originally Posted by G'Day
Mmmm, don't you just love it in winter when you walk in Melbourne and they sell them by the bagfull, freshly roasted on coals, on the pavements?

Right I'm off to Melbourne for the winter:)

mm mm mm mm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Jill

Hels Jan 18th 2005 11:18 am

Originally Posted by G'Day

That must be a recent thing!! :eek:

I have lived in Melbourne most of my life and never saw that.... :confused:

debsy Jan 18th 2005 11:21 am

Thanks a bunch everyone

Jill

Oh Jill - I have just got back from weightwatchers:(

Have you tried any Turkish delis if you have them as they usually sell them.

Hels Jan 18th 2005 11:21 am

I have a husband and daughter who made me promise that roast dinners would still be on the menu even if we lived on the moon.

Come on we have roasted the chicken on the barbie:D

Seriously, I love cooking and I find it one of the easiest meals to cook

Jill:)

Oh, meant to say too....Let us know how the pistachios go. I have tried an apple and pistachio stuffing to have with Pork...it was sensational.