Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Trusy CD collection ....ideas....

My Trusy CD collection ....ideas....

Old Aug 7th 2005, 2:32 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile My Trusty CD collection ....ideas....

What to do with all my CD's...

I thought about buying an iPOD and tansfering all my CD's to it, then when we get to sunny Adelaide upload them to my computer and burn myself some new copies...

Is this a good idea..??????

Last edited by CORKER; Aug 7th 2005 at 2:41 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 2:40 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Trusy CD collection ....ideas....

If you are going to turn 'em digital, then don't use iTunes because it uses digital rights management that make transferring 'em anywhere other than your own iPod tricky. Use the MP3 format, at a nice high rate (192k and above) and then you can transfer them elsewhere and/or re-burn to CD should you wish.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 2:47 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of
Default Re: My Trusty CD collection ....ideas....

Originally Posted by CORKER

I thought about buying an iPOD and tansfering all my CD's to it, then when we get to sunny Adelaide upload them to my computer and burn myself some new copies...

we are going to buy an external hard drive ,,,,you can get a 200gig one in staples for £100 and it's slim enough to carry in hand luggage or in a laptop bag
Old Aug 7th 2005, 2:49 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
we are going to buy an external hard drive ,,,,you can get a 200gig one in staples for £100 and it's slim enough to carry in hand luggage or in a laptop bag
forgot to say we will be shipping all ours cd's out but this will be a back up of all our cd's and all documents on pc
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:05 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

I think it's good practice, spoilt a few Cd's in my time and it's been great to burn a new one.

Bye
Mark
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:09 pm
Sydney bound!

JF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the rough

Perfect idea. Then sell what you can on ebay - who needs original Cd's these days?!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:21 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

You lose quality when you burn them to CD / MP3 etc, though you may not be able to tell, especially on a walkman etc so I would definitely keep the originals.

We are taking some of those CD cases which hold 16 CD's without cases in our hand luggage as we will have somewhere to play them in our initial rental and probably our hire car.

I have also bought another one of those cases (£3.99 from Argos) to take back ups of our computer data / photos and the installation software for webcams / anti-virus etc etc as we will buy a new PC as soon as we get there.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

I copied all mine to hard drive and took all the cd's/dvds in a caselogic holder which holds 320 discs(no covers) in our luggage and then shipped the cases over with other stuff.

We bought an IPOD 20G about 2 years ago-it is now has a broken hard drive and costs as much to fix as it would to buy a new one

KB
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
You lose quality when you burn them to CD / MP3 etc, though you may not be able to tell, especially on a walkman etc so I would definitely keep the originals.

We are taking some of those CD cases which hold 16 CD's without cases in our hand luggage as we will have somewhere to play them in our initial rental and probably our hire car.

I have also bought another one of those cases (£3.99 from Argos) to take back ups of our computer data / photos and the installation software for webcams / anti-virus etc etc as we will buy a new PC as soon as we get there.
Yes and no. MP3 is a lossy compression, but you could always use something like Monkeys Audio, which offers similar file sizes and uses lossless compression methods. I'm an ex-DJ and I archived a load of vinyl and CDs to Monkeys before selling up - very nifty format.