Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My top 2 tips for stuff to bring to Oz.

My top 2 tips for stuff to bring to Oz.

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default My top 2 tips for stuff to bring to Oz.

Just a quick post to say we have been in Melbourne just over 2 weeks and are loving it. Best decision we ever made to move here. 2 tips for those coming out are:

1/ GPS - Tom Tom or simular. We have found this invaluable when looking at rentals/places to buy/doing day to day stuff.

2/ UK to OZ travel adaptors. The bane of our life since we arrived. All our plugs are UK and we have found it very hard to find adaptors. The ones we did find were expensive ($7.50 each). Bring a few with you.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:24 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My top 2 tips for stuff to bring to Oz.

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Just a quick post to say we have been in Melbourne just over 2 weeks and are loving it. Best decision we ever made to move here. 2 tips for those coming out are:

1/ GPS - Tom Tom or simular. We have found this invaluable when looking at rentals/places to buy/doing day to day stuff.
Agree with the Tom Tom... we pre-programmed all the places we wanted to visit while still in the UK and stored them in the favourites. Then when we arrived in Perth we drove to all these places with ease.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Agree with the Tom Tom... we pre-programmed all the places we wanted to visit while still in the UK and stored them in the favourites. Then when we arrived in Perth we drove to all these places with ease.
We put in on the rentals in areas were interested in from realestate.com.au. Then drove around and looked at the outside of the houses/location etc. Cut our need to call into agents by about 90%.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

2/ UK to OZ travel adaptors. The bane of our life since we arrived. All our plugs are UK and we have found it very hard to find adaptors. The ones we did find were expensive ($7.50 each). Bring a few with you.
Or, bring a UK multi adaptor (or 6 ) and change the plug on that.

Or, change all the plugs on everything.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:34 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Or, bring a UK multi adaptor (or 6 ) and change the plug on that.

Or, change all the plugs on everything.

What Wendy said ^^^^. An absolute must.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

I agree with everything thats been said - we got our shipping the other day and realised we had 10 items that needed plugging in and three travel adaptors - someone's dropped a b*****k and surprise, surprise it wasn't me! I did suggest we should visit the pound shop and buy some more!

Oh yes and the sat nav - we bought a tom tom one and ken (the voice of the sat nav) is now our new best friend!

Lindsey

Last edited by nurselindsey; Jan 2nd 2008 at 11:45 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Me and the family have just returned from a holiday in the UK and had SatNav in the hire car while we were there. It was the first time I have used it, it was great. I saw all the adverts on the TV in the UK for Tom Tom satnav and it looked like a good buy but I never thought the UK version would would work in Oz. I must be getting too old and technology is overtaking me.....

Cheers LL
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Astronaut is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Sat Nav
I thought these things were kind of continent specific, or at least were programmed slightly differently or retrived data differently. But are we saying that its best to buy one in the UK before you go rather than buy one in Aus on arrival?

I've been told that Sat Nav is the best time / argument / stress saver out there when you're landing in a new country! Essential.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

You can buy a UK version and load the Australia map onto it, costs about £40 from the tomtom site
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a good idea.

Any advise on what sat nav system to get?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:00 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
You can buy a UK version and load the Australia map onto it, costs about £40 from the tomtom site
Or you can simply buy an Australian one when you get here and then not have to bother paying $100 more
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

i have a tom tom in the uk and couldnt live without it now, both work wise and holiday/trip wise. and yes it saves all thoes map reading arguments or having to wake keith up when i dont know where i am going.
we are going to oz for three weeks in march and are thinking about downloading the oz maps, i just have to work out how to do it.
i brought my parents a tom tom for chrismas, i find it so easy so i think they will find it okay too they arent the best in tecnological advances. keiths parents have one (not a tom tom) i font think that is as good.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey

Oh yes and the sat nav - we bought a tom tom one and ken (the voice of the sat nav) is now our new best friend!

Lindsey
AGREED - Jane is my best friend....
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Astronaut
Re: Sat Nav
I thought these things were kind of continent specific, or at least were programmed slightly differently or retrived data differently. But are we saying that its best to buy one in the UK before you go rather than buy one in Aus on arrival?

I've been told that Sat Nav is the best time / argument / stress saver out there when you're landing in a new country! Essential.
Yeah the satellite signal is teh otherway up in Oz

I'm quite in to GPS and geocaching http://www.geocaching.com

I went with my mate to Dick Smiths to buy Sat Nav for him and I would say that generally they were more expensive than the UK. If you have a UK one, just buy the Oz maps for it.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

My top tip of what to bring mate would be shedloads of money, a positive attitude and an open mind.

I appreciate not everyone has the first, but anyone can have the others.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.