Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:17 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by Ransi
I thought I had worms once...turned out to be lettuce...

I cannot imagine anything worse than having worms and scratching your arse.

When I did my parasitology section for my vet nursing, it was some time before I could eat spaghetti.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
<snort>

Shall we play 'My dump is bigger than your dump?'
How does that work

anything like this

http://www.ratemypoo.com
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:18 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC

I think we killed the thread
it was a load of shit anyway...( )
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
How does that work

anything like this

http://www.ratemypoo.com

:scared:
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I think we killed the thread
Nah! The trolls are merely regrouping... there'll be more ...
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:19 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot imagine anything worse than having worms and scratching your arse.

When I did my parasitology section for my vet nursing, it was some time before I could eat spaghetti.
Knowing that their wriggling around inside your rectum... :scared:
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
it was a load of shit anyway...( )

Can you believe people send in piccies of their shite?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes. heres the proof - http://www.ratemypoo.com/ratemy/poo
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

I can't help noticing that most of the OP's points fall into the "You must have known this before you arrived, so why are you whinging about it now?" category.

But anyway, moving right along...

Originally Posted by Hutch
House-prices are over-priced in many areas but have fallen back by about 20% in the area I'm moving to, and continue to fall. I see no such price realignment happening in the UK where homes are similarly over-valued. Have you seen what 250K buys you in a 'nice' area of the UK lately?
Well said that man.

Let's look at the UK real estate market, shall we?

That's a 3 bed, 1 bath semi in Aldridge, which is just a short drive from where I live. It has a driveway and a rear detached garage (rare privileges in this area!) but no laundry. It is built on a small block of land, it is identical to just about every other house in a 48 kilometre radius, it shares a wall with the house next door (wave goodbye to your privacy!) and it is excruciatingly ugly.

The price of this fabulous establishment is £250,000, which translates to $589,190 in Australian money.

Now, if a British ex-pat turned up in Australia and discovered that $589,190 would only buy him a 3 bed, 1 bath semi in a working class suburb, it's fair to say that he'd be whinging at the top of his lungs from here to the middle of next week.

6. History - I never do buy this one when it pops up as a complaint, but I really don't get in your case, since you make no reference to the stately homes, castles or standing stones people usually claim to miss, but instead beoman the fact that pubs aren't crammed full of fake horse brass! Classic! Anyway, this really is down to the area you're in - there are some bloody excellent pubs down where we're moving to. In fact my brother-in-law took me to one in a town outside Robertson in the Southern Highlands which, complete with comfy leather sofas and roaring log fire, could have been in the middle of Dartmoor instead of the middle of New South Wales.
Another excellent point.

People who think that a country just over 200 years old has "no history" are either ignorant cretins or cultural snobs of the worst possible kind.

Astonishing as it might sound to some folks, 200 years is enough time to built up quite a lot of culture, history, and national identity.

And on the basis of the OP's yardstick, Birmingham (which didn't become a proper city until 1731, and today consists largely of 19th Century buildings and a few half-hearted attempts at modern infrastructure) has no history whatsoever, no old buildings, and no culture.

Nah! The trolls are merely regrouping... there'll be more ...

We are Hutch's Army and it is our duty to protect.

We have performed a hostile invasion of this thread and taken it to the level of faeces.

We shall see how long it takes for a nasty response.

Hutch, grab your weapon and be prepared.

Ive just farted, only a small one though.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

How long till this thread moves to the Barbie?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I can

I think some of them post on here, except the shite somes out of the other end
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

1. You moved 12,000 miles round the planet to continue staring at the idiot box? You're not in Kansas anymore Toto - you can step away from the cathode ray tube and discover the world outside your front door!
The funny thing is, I never really watched that much TV in the UK, too busy doing things, I've only started to watch so muh of it here as theres nothing else to do !

8. Perhaps you'd prefer everyone wore black-tie when they popped down to the IGA to get a loaf of bread.
Not at all, just maybe something with even a tiny bit of style !

10. Travel to Europe's over-rated. Why would you deliberately place yourself in the company of the French for instance?
True, true, but I was thinking more of Tuscany, Greece (not the typical UK tourist flodded parts), Spain, The Ice Hotel in Sweden, Prague...the list goes on.

Originally Posted by up my street 2
here's another degree-educated incessant whinger
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ee#post3196461
Well I have to say, I never come out with the fact I happen to have a degree, but on this one occasion, the store guy was grilling me, and it was quite obvious I knew more about the subject matter than him, so I think it was fair enough.

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
Absolute cracking post, couldnt agree more with you.

But you missed one thing the "dog in the back of the ute" in the style section.
Well, actually I quite like the old dog in the back of the ute style !!

In fact, in all fairness, and in the interests of a balanced discussion, maybe I should point out some of the GOOD things about Australia :

The people are fantastically friendly and welcoming.

Beautiful vistas and countryside

Actually being able to enjoy being outside for the majority of the year rather than the minority

You CAN find Lurpak in Woolies if you look hard enough

erm....I will think of some more, there are loads.

lostpom.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.